Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Granite City

(38 Posts)
Jaxjacky Wed 07-Dec-22 21:51:36

Anyone watching? Quite enjoying it.

grannydarkhair Fri 09-Dec-22 23:51:15

Aberdeen looked good and that’s the only compliment I can give this. I gave up after 22 minutes, crap script, crap acting and Lindo’s MP jacket was far too big for him which really bugged me. Why Gary Lewis, who I usually enjoy seeing on-screen, got involved with this is beyond my ken.

Oreo Fri 09-Dec-22 14:58:09

Thought it was rubbish tbh.
Not great acting, lousy script and dreary scenery.
Most unbelievable drama in a long time.

Katek Fri 09-Dec-22 13:41:40

Volver - ah thocht he wis heidin' tae Marischal College tae speir if i cooncil hid ony jobs! Ma man's a 'supporting artiste' (posh, eh?) in film an' tv since he retired. Helps oot wi the pension!

Larsonsmum Fri 09-Dec-22 12:35:50

If you mean Granite Harbour, (it is not called Granite City), yes we are watching, as we live on Royal Deeside west of the city, and enjoy seeing the locations. It’s maybe not the best acting/story line but not the worst either.

Greyduster Fri 09-Dec-22 12:31:05

I read that Michelle Jeram (DS Montrose) was herself a serving police officer for 23 years before she became an actor, so at least one of the cast should know where the weak spots are!

Lollin Fri 09-Dec-22 07:36:48

I was enjoying it thinking yes room for improvement if they can keep going, and then realised it was relaxing to watch the story unfold, so my verdict, pleasantly refreshing because no gory closeups or details or bad language to upset the system for a change.

kittylester Fri 09-Dec-22 07:14:28

MacMillan was in Holby City.

volver Fri 09-Dec-22 05:59:11

Chaving Katek, chaving on. Huv ye a lot a' sna'?

Is your man an actor? Ats exciting!

I got stuck on the fact the sodjer got aff a bus at Marischal then walket tae a Police Station in Aul' Aberdeen 😉.

Poetic licence!

paddyann54 Thu 08-Dec-22 23:17:40

Dawn Steele has been in many things but I dont think River City ,She was in the African series with Stephen Tomlinson years ago,Casualty for few years and loads of stuff over the years .Its not a great script which is a shame as I like her as an actress .
River City is filmed within sight of my window in Dumbarton and set in the mythical Sheildinch

Katek Thu 08-Dec-22 22:54:45

Fit like i day Volver? I was also location spotting - how many times does the BMW pass that white Transit van on the esplanade? One scene set in the car as it travels along the Esplanade shows the vehicle heading north, with the sea to the right, the internal shot of the two actors show the sea on the left, meaning the car is heading south…continuity be damned. It doesn't look as if anyone told the production team that the van careering down Windmill Brae was heading for a dead end! Doesn't help one to suspend disbelief. I had to watch first episode, DH was an SA in the protest scene!

volver Thu 08-Dec-22 21:57:46

River City is set in Glasgow, as you said.

The boss lady's accent is an overdone impersonation of Doric. Nobody else in the series talks like her.

The Oil Executive was pretty close to Doric.

Everybody else is from Glasgow. Including the waitress, the bus driver and the hotel receptionist. And the man who says he grew up in a suburb of Aberdeen.

We Doric speakers are not amused. 😆

GreyKnitter Thu 08-Dec-22 21:49:13

We’re enjoying it. Just accept it at face value and go with the flow!

Floradora9 Thu 08-Dec-22 21:36:25

Kim19

Find it awful when the boss lady suddenly bursts into broad Scots in the most unrealistic and unlikely places. Verbal diahhorea.

I am sure she is a refugee from River City ( Scottish soap set in Glasgow ) From the snatches I have seen if this soap they all speak like she does . We watched it but it was pretty unpolished .

volver Thu 08-Dec-22 19:35:53

Here it is Hellogirl1

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p0db975h/granite-harbour

Hellogirl1 Thu 08-Dec-22 18:10:06

I wasn`t able to watch on the night, and it doesn`t seem to be on Iplayer.

volver Thu 08-Dec-22 17:03:01

Aw. I quite liked the scenery 🤣

I was location spotting!

Parsley3 Thu 08-Dec-22 17:00:55

Granite Harbour has a terrible script, wooden acting and even the scenery is boring. However, I watched it all hoping it would improve. It didn't. What a waste of time and money.

Happygirl79 Thu 08-Dec-22 14:24:01

Sorry but not for me. Awful. Switched off after 20 minutes

Aveline Thu 08-Dec-22 10:03:09

I watched the first series of Happy Valley but found it just too painful and stressful to watch. Obviously I'm a sissy. I've never like James Norton since!!

Greyduster Thu 08-Dec-22 09:41:24

I’m with Pitt. Bring on Happy Valley. Wonderful stuff.

Greyduster Thu 08-Dec-22 09:37:55

From the first scene, I found this truly awful. For someone who had been in the Army for thirteen years, his uniform was too big and fitted where it touched. It also looked distinctly out of date. He would never have turned out wearing a white belt and gloves unless he was going to a parade or a wedding……and a camo rucksack? For a senior NCO? Really?? The awful script had more holes than a Swiss cheese and the acting was dire! I watched two episodes- can’t see it improving.

Kate1949 Thu 08-Dec-22 09:36:51

How I agree re Cracker Aveline. What a fantastic series. We have it on a box set somewhere.

Pittcity Thu 08-Dec-22 09:01:37

I gave up. It's on at 8pm because it's more in the vein of Death in Paradise than Line of Duty.
I'm rewatching Happy Valley before the new series arrives.

Aveline Thu 08-Dec-22 08:58:41

I'm watching 'Cracker' on Britbox these days. Oh boy. I'd forgotten how good it was. With Jimmy McGovern scripts and Robbie Coltrane as lead it is streets ahead of more modern cop shows.

Jaxjacky Thu 08-Dec-22 07:59:08

Having watched ep2 Charleygirl had it right, not much else on. For us it’s plugging the football gap.