Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Perry Grayson “what is Englishness”

(17 Posts)
Deedaa Sat 04-Feb-23 23:11:02

I always find Robson Green a bit irritating, a bit too bouncy northerner. I love Grayson, he's such a nice man and a talented artist. His wife Phillipa is always interesting too.

Oreo Fri 03-Feb-23 21:16:37

Sounds an interesting programme but I can’t watch anything with Grayson Perry in it, I find him repellent.
Am loving Robson Green’s series on the North East tho, I knew nothing about it and now I want to go there.
Robson is perfect for the programme and he’s gone up in my estimation.A lot of actors and celebs pull faces and laugh non stop, he isn’t like that.

Doodledog Fri 03-Feb-23 21:10:16

pascal30

I'm really enjoying it. I love his non judgementality.. and his ability to relate to everyone..

Yes, he's a real 'man of the people', isn't he?

I can imagine him being at hime with princes and paupers, and they with him. I think it's because he is a bit of an oddbod, so doesn't represent a group that might irritate another one, if that makes sense? There is no edge to him.

I haven't seen the second episode yet as I was out when it was broadcast, but I recorded it to see later.

pascal30 Fri 03-Feb-23 19:44:55

I'm really enjoying it. I love his non judgementality.. and his ability to relate to everyone..

TerriBull Fri 03-Feb-23 18:11:07

Deedaa

I did enjoy the Druid bit. Probably my Celtic DNA coming to the fore. The "English Goebbels" in Teddington was depressing. Films of marching boy scouts don't illustrate the England I want to live in. It seems really weird now that when I was in the Brownies in the 50s we spent a lot of time practising marching, and once a month we had church parade with lots of marching and flags. We were little girls, why were we being trained like an army?

I haven't watched it, I do like Grayson Perry so may watch it on Catch Up, but this shocked me "The English Goebbels" in Teddington! Good grief I lived there for 38 years and had no idea shock

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Feb-23 13:09:10

That wasn’t the programme I watched.

Witzend Fri 03-Feb-23 13:00:52

He seemed to have a rather boring agenda in the first programme - to portray Englishness as city-dwelling jingoism/racism. I’m afraid it put me off watching any more.
And dh said he laughs too much!
We do generally like him though.,

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Feb-23 13:00:27

Grime - the trouble is I can’t understand what they are saying

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Feb-23 12:57:19

Love the way he is describing the way culture is assimilated both by the immigrant and the indigenous English.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Feb-23 12:48:57

Never heard of a desi-pub? We don’t have them in the south I think.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-Jan-23 09:57:50

vegansrock

Who is Perry Grayson ? I’m assuming you mean a Grayson Perry!

😄😄😄😄 I never ever get the poor chaps name right. Don’t suppose he is worried though.

notnecessarilywiser Sat 28-Jan-23 09:08:29

GP is such a natural for this sort of programme. I remember his previous series about class. He manages to let the people he's interviewing explain themselves without judging them. A more animated Louis Theroux!

I particularly enjoyed his interactions with his driver.

vegansrock Sat 28-Jan-23 05:27:35

Who is Perry Grayson ? I’m assuming you mean a Grayson Perry!

MayBee70 Fri 27-Jan-23 23:02:21

Another Druid here! And I do love Morris Dancing. What is sad is that in many ways we all want the same thing and love our country. More that unites us than divides us and all that.

LRavenscroft Fri 27-Jan-23 21:56:07

Yes, I liked the Druid bit. That was Philip Shallcrass from the BDO. The have respect for nature at their heart.

Deedaa Fri 27-Jan-23 20:05:20

I did enjoy the Druid bit. Probably my Celtic DNA coming to the fore. The "English Goebbels" in Teddington was depressing. Films of marching boy scouts don't illustrate the England I want to live in. It seems really weird now that when I was in the Brownies in the 50s we spent a lot of time practising marching, and once a month we had church parade with lots of marching and flags. We were little girls, why were we being trained like an army?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 27-Jan-23 18:02:16

Southern England

I’m definitely a Druid and the take back England group.

Although I am prepared to accept that England is not the “old” England that I love.