Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Come Dancing

(12 Posts)
nadateturbe Sun 29-Jan-23 23:19:21

Really enjoying this in BBC4. So much more civilised than Stricly. I used to watch with my mum. The formation dancing is our favourite.

FannyCornforth Mon 30-Jan-23 05:54:11

Is it repeats? (I expect it is)
I have really happy memories of watching it with my mom and dad.
My dad and I used to find it really funny (I can’t remember why!)
And my mom and I would critique the frocks.
Loved Wogan presenting too.
I’ll have to have a look.
Thank you for mentioning it!

NotAGran55 Mon 30-Jan-23 06:09:21

I don’t remember actually sitting down and watching it although I do remember the show and the big swishy dresses.
I thought it was very old fashioned as I wanted to be in Pan’s People!
I will have a look though, another good Memory Lane thread.

Carenza123 Mon 30-Jan-23 06:22:09

I used to like Come Dancing back in the day. Now I feel ‘Strictly’ is very much choreographed and more emphasis on celebrities, rather than expertise in the dancing. Also it’s getting too ‘woke’ for me.

Grandmabatty Mon 30-Jan-23 06:48:37

I never really liked it and found it rather boring and old fashioned but I was a teenager in the seventies and it was all about disco and rock for me!

TillyTrotter Mon 30-Jan-23 06:57:03

My mum and I watched it and I seem to remember it went on until after 10 pm. Dad would go to bed as he found it boring but we watched till the end.
Loved the formation dancing, especially Latin American.
Those dresses! 💃

FannyCornforth Mon 30-Jan-23 06:59:10

Batty I was a teenager in the 80s when I watched it with my parents. So I googled how long it ran for.
The answer is: 1949 - 1998 shock

JackyB Mon 30-Jan-23 09:35:06

This brings back memories. Can someone say if they are repeats or if they have started it up again. After Strictly the format might seem a bit too sober. But that would probably suit some more serious followers.

Also I immediately thought of the Likely Lads episode where the parents went out and asked the boys to watch it and let them know who won.

nadateturbe Mon 30-Jan-23 10:58:36

They are repeats JackyB. I don't think it would be popular now. Same as Opportunity Knocks with the clapometer. Not what today's audiences want.
We didn't have to have interviews with them either, and see them practising 🙄. We simply watched the performance and then the judges marked them.
I found it much more enjoyable.

Sparklefizz Mon 30-Jan-23 11:02:31

I used to watch Come Dancing with my Mum. I remember that we were usually told that the dresses had been made by the dancer's mother who sewed on each sequin herself.

Hellogirl1 Mon 30-Jan-23 21:11:48

Peggy Spencer`s formation team, remember them?

paddyann54 Mon 30-Jan-23 21:17:24

One of my fathers workmates and his wife were dance champions so we were allowed to sit up and watch them dance..and often win their heats .Seems a very long time ago ,I cant even remember their names ,must have been the early 60's. ,the dresses were what all us wee girls liked best about it