Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Complaint about an Advertisement

(52 Posts)
Elless Sat 11-Mar-23 10:29:29

Thought you might be interested to read the response from ASA I received after complaining about the Flo tampon advert.
I'll put it under this heading because it's quite long.

Elless Sun 12-Mar-23 10:25:04

I don't think this is the right way to deal with the taboo/stigma, but as I have said that is just my opinion and I am entitled to it. Emmerdale are currently running a topic dealing with a young girl who is suffering with heavy periods and it has been done without any crude references.

FannyCornforth Sun 12-Mar-23 09:56:13

Thank you Redhead, you are very kind

Redhead56 Sun 12-Mar-23 08:41:25

FC there is no need for you to say sorry and you are not rude.

Hithere Sun 12-Mar-23 04:47:37

There is already a way to do that, biglouis

biglouis Sun 12-Mar-23 01:15:04

The only really offensive thing is that in this high tech age woman are still stuck with having to put up with periods. Women are degraded by their own biology. Rather than spending money on research into smart technology we should be finding ways to relieve women of this filthy monthly ordeal.

FannyCornforth Sun 12-Mar-23 00:37:01

Redhead56

FC we are all entitled to our own opinion.

Redhead I don’t dispute that.
At no juncture have I actually said that anyone on this thread is wrong, even though I disagree with around half of them.
I was just iterating that there is literally no such thing as ‘a pointless ad’.
Their point (and it’s a big one) is to flog stuff.
I’m sorry that I appeared rude.

NotSpaghetti Sun 12-Mar-23 00:22:28

Nothing to do with the advert really - but sometimes, unfortunately, it is a mess and for some women it can be hard to "just clean up" lemsip. Maybe your lady with bloody legs would have tried to resolve the issue and failed. I feel sorry for her.

There is also a need to be kinder to those with very heavy periods (and other problems such as endometriosis etc).
I used to loathe the "leaping about in white" adverts and found those unpleasant as they implied that you can always have that much control. I'm sure I'm in a minority but probably those ard the ones I would want to complain about.

Redhead56 Sat 11-Mar-23 21:58:16

FC we are all entitled to our own opinion.

Hithere Sat 11-Mar-23 20:56:06

Or disposable period product that is ecological

Hithere Sat 11-Mar-23 20:54:50

Realistically, how many members of this board are part of the demographics targeted by this ad?

Ads are created very much for a certain audience - making them irrelevant or even "what are you thinking" for the rest of us

Disposable period underwear is very much a useful period option and this is a very smart way to catch your attention if you are in need of it

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 11-Mar-23 19:13:22

And it didn’t do the job?

Baggs Sat 11-Mar-23 17:51:10

Germanshepherdsmum

In which case why not show the woman who is using the period product going out in tight white trousers or playing tennis/doing gymnastics etc? I have seen just such adverts in the past. Gets the message across just as in the Imodium ads - you wouldn’t want a graphic description of diarrhoea would you?

Why not? Because that's already been done.

FannyCornforth Sat 11-Mar-23 17:21:18

Redhead56

Totally pointless advert just that really.

There is no such thing as ‘a pointless advert’ confused

Lexisgranny Sat 11-Mar-23 17:06:24

I disliked the beginning of this advertisement and it seemed to go from bad to worse with the bit about getting your gardener to bury the tampon in the compost heap. I found it distasteful, if that means that some will feel that am losing my sense of humour in my old age, so be it….. frankly I don’t really care.
I have not noticed any taboo about periods amongst my grown up grandchildren of both sexes who appear to regard the whole process as totally normal, which indeed it is.

Redhead56 Sat 11-Mar-23 16:54:39

Totally pointless advert just that really.

Delila Sat 11-Mar-23 16:51:51

These ads are not intended to break down stigma/taboos surrounding periods, they’re intended to sell a product & make a profit by generating a reaction.

I didn’t think there still was any taboo/stigma around the subject of periods anyway?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 11-Mar-23 16:36:59

In which case why not show the woman who is using the period product going out in tight white trousers or playing tennis/doing gymnastics etc? I have seen just such adverts in the past. Gets the message across just as in the Imodium ads - you wouldn’t want a graphic description of diarrhoea would you?

Hithere Sat 11-Mar-23 15:45:08

For imodium - a technique used in advertising is to show a person use the product, such as taking the pill or driving the car

The period ads are following just this - how product works

lemsip Sat 11-Mar-23 14:48:55

thanks for posting this Elless glad you contacted ASA. they need feedback good or bad some don't know how to do that!
I find this distasteful, it suggests that when you are out at a function or even at home if you are menstruating you will be sitting there in a 'bloody mess'. I would hope that if that was the case you would have paid a visit to the bathroom and cleaned yourself up.
reminded me of years ago a women used to come into a shop near me with blood down her lower legs.

puzzles me when other posters want to know why another poster doesn't like it.. just post your opinion......or not!

why don't they advertise loo rolls with streaks of brown on them?

62Granny Sat 11-Mar-23 14:45:58

I think the ad had been on when we watched something but I didn't take any notice of it or hubby fast forwarded through it , he often does that. When I read the reply and they quoted the script I thought it sounded terrible but in the context of the ad it doesn't actually sound too bad, I think it works because of the era the ad is set in and the men swooning at the mention of blood makes it more light hearted.

Visgir1 Sat 11-Mar-23 14:43:27

I too thought it was funny "Period Drama".

BlueBelle Sat 11-Mar-23 14:43:18

How would you all feel if they advertised Imodium by seeing someone actually pooing in their pants !!! Just saying

BlueBelle Sat 11-Mar-23 14:41:25

I think that one’s quite funny
the one I don’t like and it’s just been on I think it’s body form although I could be wrong but they are pouring what appears to be bright red blood on to the pad now I m not squeamish in the least but do I want that on my screen not really there are better ways of advertising it

Hithere Sat 11-Mar-23 14:37:33

Honestly, it is a bloody mess, at least how I see it.

Why is it wrong to state the facts?

Blondiescot Sat 11-Mar-23 14:00:41

Elless

I think it's awful and dislike the 'bloody mess down there' statement. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I respect that. Personally I don't like any women's (or men's) 'issues' broadcast on TV, and I'm not a prude, I just think its personal.

But how do we ever overcome the taboo/stigma surrounding many of the issues then?