Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Is the BBC being " controlled" by the Tory party?

(29 Posts)
62Granny Sat 11-Mar-23 14:57:16

Is it losing impartiality, it used to be held up as "The Best " when other countries seemed biased towards their government, are they getting like China, Russia , N. Korea, UAE. Are they getting so that their staff won't be able to say or do something against government. Our must everyone toe the party line.

62Granny Mon 13-Mar-23 20:59:01

Does this confirm my original post
m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158959663335059&id=681740058

varian Mon 13-Mar-23 14:45:38

Emily Maitlis explains BBC impartiality.

"It might take our producers five minutes to find sixty economists who feared brexit and five hours to find one who espoused it. But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn't."

twitter.com/HighlandHeathen/status/1634932602376445952/photo/1

Elegran Mon 13-Mar-23 14:12:23

Whoever makes the decisions for the BBC certainly seems to buy into some peculiar policies. Silencing the most knowledgeable and respected naturalist in the world doesn't make sense. They are happy to show his programmes about animals, but not his warning of the threats that face those animals.

HousePlantQueen Mon 13-Mar-23 13:16:50

In my opinion, the BBC has always been a bit right wing, but not appallingly so, however Brexit, then covid19 changed my mind when it when it became a government propaganda mouthpiece.

DaisyAnne Mon 13-Mar-23 13:06:46

M0nica

As long as left and right were attacking the BBC for being to right or left wing wee knew everything was OK. And that has been happening as long as I can remember.

What we have now is a rightwing government threatening to defund the BBC if they do not toe an arbitary line drawn up by them with no input from any other point of view.

Well put M0nica.

I wonder why people don't want a national broadcaster as good as the BBC can be?

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 13-Mar-23 12:57:32

Grantonow- absolutely.

Grantanow Mon 13-Mar-23 12:42:15

Both major Parties have leant on the BBC but I feel the attack by Tory MPs on the BBC nowadays is far beyond what was the usual to and fro. BoJo's appointment of a Tory donor as Chair and the Board's appointment of a former Tory councillor as Director General is worrying. I don't see that either can claim an impartial interpretation of the impartiality rules when they have such public association with the Tory Party. As others have said the singling out of Lineker when many other presenters have made political comments off-air stinks.

varian Mon 13-Mar-23 12:35:56

"It’s the sheer volume of people coming in, and also the cost of that to all of us, that is worrying.

We are a country already overwhelmed as it is by UK citizens who are vulnerable and homeless.

We have a cost-of-living crisis. We have food shortages and we can’t even see a GP. Forget trying to see a dentist.

Our welfare system only works if you pay in when you are working and take out only when you need to.

It cannot work if you pay nothing in and just take out."

Karren Brady in writing in The Sun

www.thesun.co.uk/news/21510437/questionnaire-answer-to-asylum-crisis-no/

varian Mon 13-Mar-23 12:31:28

How about Karren Brady, who according to The Sun is best known for her appearances on the BBC?

"SHE’S best known as one of Lord Sugar’s advisors on The Apprentice. Karren has had a ground-breaking career including being the first woman to be a Managing Director of a Premier League football Club, Birmingham City F.C, at just 23-years-old. The Conservative Peer gives her opinions on current affairs each week in the paper."

www.thesun.co.uk/author/karren-brady/

Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-Mar-23 12:22:01

Freya5

Ilovecheese

Yes it is.
I used to think that it must be impartial when it was being attacked by both sides but the difference between the responce to the tweets of Gary Lineker and those of Alan Sugar and Andrew Neil has been quite stark.

You know this, how. Were you in the room when Sugar or Neil was possibly reprimanded. How do you know they weren't?
Neil left the BBC in 2020.

Have you seen the letter sent by the BBC to a critic of Andrew Neil’s bias.

Other letters relating to bias are available.

That is how we know.

Freya5 Mon 13-Mar-23 12:16:19

Ilovecheese

Yes it is.
I used to think that it must be impartial when it was being attacked by both sides but the difference between the responce to the tweets of Gary Lineker and those of Alan Sugar and Andrew Neil has been quite stark.

You know this, how. Were you in the room when Sugar or Neil was possibly reprimanded. How do you know they weren't?
Neil left the BBC in 2020.

varian Mon 13-Mar-23 10:15:30

not "anthracite", for goodness sake, but "antiracism"

varian Mon 13-Mar-23 08:40:47

I think that the BBC having a Liberal social agenda - on equal marriage, anthracite, human rights etc has caused the right to accuse it of being left wing but the political agenda has for many years become more and more pro conservative.

I have never believed that the fact it was accused of bias by left and right proved that it was impartial. That is a false argument.

There is a difference between a national broadcaster sticking to its original aims of serving the people and a state broadcaster relentlessly pushing government propaganda.

varian Mon 13-Mar-23 08:31:21

The BBC was highjacked by the rightwing of the Tory Party in 2015 when it morphed into the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation

Iam64 Mon 13-Mar-23 08:27:55

In recent times I’ve felt increasingly concerned at what I see as right wing bias. Fiona Bruce is a poor presenter and her politics are obvious on QT.
JeremyVine is making Jimmy Young look balanced. Even the radio 4 presenters lack rigour when interviewing government ministers while being Rottweilers if Starmer, Streeting, Raynor and co ever get a small slot to respond to government plots.

Let’s hope the outcry about the treatment of Lineker has rattled the establishment. Next - let’s take to the streets about the destruction of public services.

nanna8 Mon 13-Mar-23 06:14:35

Well our ABC is incorrigibly left wing and has been since the year dot so it makes a change if you have a right wing broadcaster but I find it difficult to believe knowing the media types.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 11-Mar-23 16:41:00

I am very unhappy about what has happened over this past week and the months leading up to this sorry state of affairs.

However, very heartened to know that there are people in our country who are as disgusted as I am at the way the government is riding roughshod over individual rights.

garnet25 Sat 11-Mar-23 16:40:37

Yes

Ali23 Sat 11-Mar-23 16:33:20

Yes, I thought that today too. I have always preferred the BBC to watching commercial television because the adverts annoy mebut increasingly we just record commercial programmes and whiz through the adverts.
But i suppose if you look at newspapers, they carry the bias of their owners.

ayse Sat 11-Mar-23 16:06:12

My DD2 insisted that during the pandemic the BBC’s reporting was biased. At the time I didn’t believe her. However this latest debacle suggests to me that she was probably right. IMO, the Beeb has been moving away from impartiality for a considerable time but this latest episode with Lineker and Attenborough is appalling. It wouldn’t be quite as bad if the the Chair, Richard Sharp was not visibly a friend of Mr Johnson.

It makes me wonder for the first time, if I agree with paying this licence anymore!

BlueBelle Sat 11-Mar-23 16:02:05

Yes

Ilovecheese Sat 11-Mar-23 15:58:37

Yes it is.

Ali23 Sat 11-Mar-23 15:53:19

Yes. Sadly.

M0nica Sat 11-Mar-23 15:52:31

As long as left and right were attacking the BBC for being to right or left wing wee knew everything was OK. And that has been happening as long as I can remember.

What we have now is a rightwing government threatening to defund the BBC if they do not toe an arbitary line drawn up by them with no input from any other point of view.

taurusmmukpp Sat 11-Mar-23 15:11:54

It certainly is 62Granny, there was a time when I felt that the BBC was totally impartial and I was proud of it, but I can remember the Tory party accusing the Today programme of left-wing bias in the 1980’s but that’s the way they always respond.