Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Oscars Best Dressed?

(23 Posts)
Azalea99 Mon 13-Mar-23 15:54:32

Do me a favour! At least one of them (Emily Ratajkowski) would’ve qualified for best undressed, and Olivia Wilde somehow forgot to cover most of her bra. Goodness knows how many women are obliged to cover not only their bodies, but their hair and faces as well and frankly seeing people being glorified for this tasteless display is a total insult to women everywhere. There’s no MeToo here, just LookatMe, (but of course if any man does look then heaven help him.). I don’t suggest these females walk the red carpet in a burka but I don’t like the hypocrisy.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 13-Mar-23 15:57:32

I don’t bother watching them. No idea.

Kate1949 Mon 13-Mar-23 15:58:38

Nor me.

paddyann54 Mon 13-Mar-23 16:05:43

women are entitled to wear what they want when they want its got beggar all to do with anyone else .If men are so out of control that the sight of an uncovered leg or low cut top sends them into a frenzy they need to see a psychiatrist .
Adults all know( or should) that we all have bodies .Its 2023 not 1923

BlueBelle Mon 13-Mar-23 16:29:16

Can’t bear it, never watch it all those over inflated egos wether they wear clothes or don’t I couldn't care less they re all on another planet

AGAA4 Mon 13-Mar-23 16:34:04

The Oscars is just an opportunity for people to dress up and congratulate each other on doing their jobs.

Jane71 Mon 13-Mar-23 16:41:33

The Luvvies

Gin Mon 13-Mar-23 16:41:50

Is displaying your behind a fashion these days? Certainly more flesh displayed than usual. I just looked at the fashion shots on BBC news. One looked like she was wearing her PE shorts and then wrapped herself in a sheet!

Blossoming Mon 13-Mar-23 16:43:15

I don’t watch the ceremony, but I love looking at the outfits in the fashion press afterwards. Malala Yousafzai and Cate Blanchett were the 2 best looks for me and they didn’t need to expose vast amounts of flesh to look elegant and beautiful.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 13-Mar-23 16:43:43

I think the bigger the behind the more fashionable these days?

Blossoming Mon 13-Mar-23 16:47:30

Forgot the photos!

NotSpaghetti Mon 13-Mar-23 16:50:24

I thought some were truly beautiful.

www.vanityfair.com/style/photos/2023/03/oscars-2023-red-carpet-all-the-fashion-outfits-and-looks

Azalea99 Mon 13-Mar-23 17:09:07

Paddyann54 If you’d read my post you’d be aware that actually not ALL women are entitled to wear whatever they want wherever they want. I don’t watch the Oscars, I saw the photos online, but I suspect if you look further online you’ll find out about a nice bunch of people called the Taliban. Try telling them what women are entitled to wear.

CanadianGran Mon 13-Mar-23 17:32:59

I admit to loving all the glam and glitz of the evening, and seeing all the fashion choices.

Trivial in the great scheme of things, of course. I admire the artistry involved in fashion.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 13-Mar-23 17:54:56

Jamie Lee Curtis nailed it for me, she looked stunning.

Wyllow3 Mon 13-Mar-23 18:20:14

I liked Allison Williams, pretty in pink.

Hmmm, was looking forward to seeing what JL Curtis wore, but thought it didn't do too many favours, a bit dull colour and the shape not too flattering?

Shirleyw Mon 13-Mar-23 18:29:10

Thought Jamie Lee Curtis looked good, also i like her anyway, Emily Blunt looked lovely, rather liked Lady GaGa outfit . Some of the chaps came up trumps too ...

Joseanne Mon 13-Mar-23 18:47:52

I would love to see and feel some of the fabrics close up. The camera doesn't always do them justice. I like the way Lady Gaga's creation married the sheer gauze see through fabric with the heavier material in the corset. I like black.

grannydarkhair Mon 13-Mar-23 19:02:07

My favourites this year were Cate Blanchett, Emily Blunt, Cara Delevingne (I usually really dislike what she wears, but thought she was stunning), Angela Bassett, Michelle Williams. I liked these because I thought they looked good from top to bottom. I.e. they’d thought about their hair, make-up, accessories.
My “worst dressed” has more contenders than “best dressed”this year I’m sorry to say. So much money spent on some truly awful looking outfits. But it gets their photos in the MSM so I assume they consider it a success.

Callistemon21 Mon 13-Mar-23 19:58:13

Blossoming

Forgot the photos!

They both look beautiful

HowVeryDareYou2 Mon 13-Mar-23 20:00:01

I only ever watched it to see what Ricky Gervais had to say. The programme isn't worth watching without him

Callistemon21 Mon 13-Mar-23 20:00:52

Some look classy and some, well, as Dolly would say "It costs a lot of money to look this cheap".

Freya5 Mon 13-Mar-23 20:40:51

The best dressed,the men. Who are happy to keep themselves clothed, and not show off every private body part they have.