Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Grace - anyone watched it?

(79 Posts)
Clawdy Mon 20-Mar-23 20:00:16

I like John Simm, and was quite looking forward to this, but yet another drama about murdered girls, abducted, tied up....just too much.

Dollymixtures Wed 05-Apr-23 17:20:26

I watched the episode of Grace last night as I’d recorded it. It was laughable in parts. They were in a burning room, the girl was in the middle of the flames but, not only Grace got out, he got the girl out as well, with his suit, collar and tie on, absolutely immaculate, not a mark or any smoke on him, not a hair out of place on him or her, just strolled out! Absolutely ludicrous! I think it’s dragged out over two hours as well, I preferred it shorter and sharper.

sodapop Mon 03-Apr-23 12:39:29

Jaxjacky

We enjoyed it, Sunday evening transitory entertainment.
Some Agatha Christie thing next Sunday Charleygirl.

I quite enjoyed it as well Jaxjacky despite everything. It's difficult when we all have preconceived ideas from reading the books.

I am tiring of the Agatha Christie mysteries being trotted out interminably in all their different guises.

pascal30 Mon 03-Apr-23 11:44:08

I much preferred Magpie Murders, now that had fantastic styling,locations and actors.. I watched the whole series on Iplayer and really enjoyed it..

LadyGracie Mon 03-Apr-23 09:45:45

How did his wife get out without him seeing her or where did she hide? He’s a detective he should be attuned!

I didn’t enjoy last nights episode at all, Grace is too small, his boss is smarmy and arrogant, I wonder Grace puts up with his rudeness.

Both actors miscast in my opinion.

Primrose53 Mon 03-Apr-23 09:43:52

It was very dull. I don’t think I could have watched another one anyway.

NanaDana Mon 03-Apr-23 09:32:57

Watched the final episode of the series last night, and it gets an "OK watch" for me. Not exactly up to the standards of Happy Valley/Morse et al, but filled in a couple of hours on a Sunday evening, with not much competition as regards programming. Clearly set up for the next series, with the rather odd appearance of the missing wife and the partially unresolved plot. Will I be watching it? Depends what else is on offer.

Calendargirl Mon 03-Apr-23 09:15:18

I think as a nudge to Bella’s incessant Malteser munching, didn’t Norman give her a red box and you saw her helping herself to a chocolate quite near the end Charleygirl?

I totally agree, the actress playing her looked nothing like Bella in the book.

That severe short hairstyle?

confused

Jaxjacky Mon 03-Apr-23 09:07:37

We enjoyed it, Sunday evening transitory entertainment.
Some Agatha Christie thing next Sunday Charleygirl.

Charleygirl5 Mon 03-Apr-23 08:13:14

That was the last of Grace last night. I have no idea what will be shown next Sunday.

Even the lady playing Bella was miscast. In the books she was younger and always had a box of Maltesers close to her.

Greyduster Mon 03-Apr-23 08:06:21

I only watched one episode. I too thought Johns Simm was wooden, though not nearly as wooden as Stephen Tomkinson in Banks. I just can’t bear to watch him!

J52 Mon 03-Apr-23 07:46:39

They managed to break down a modern composite door with the in frame locks ( making it almost impossible) just by a shoulder nudge, but couldn’t break into the weaker door at the front of the pub.
Totally irrelevant to the plot, but theses small things annoy me.

Calendargirl Mon 03-Apr-23 07:40:50

Well, I wasn’t impressed with last night’s episode.

It’s a while since I read the book, but seemed to have altered quite a bit.

I agree John Simm is just too short. In his confrontations with Cassian Pewe, he has to look up to him and it looks silly.

And JS has a very wooden way of putting his lines across. Meant to sound intense and knowledgeable, but just sounds like he is repeating his script.

As for putting up with Glenn’s untidiness when he is trying to sell his house, if he couldn’t keep it any tidier, I would be giving him his marching orders.

He’s a grown man, not a daft teenager.

sodapop Tue 28-Mar-23 13:03:26

I quite like the side story about Sandy & Bruno, adds a human dimension and continuation through the series. Susan Hill does this too with Simon Serraillet.

twinnytwin Tue 28-Mar-23 13:00:50

DH and I managed two episodes of Grace, mostly with my eyes averted either reading my iPad or cross stitching. Much too violent for me I'm afraid. I always say I love a bit of murder, but this was too much for me. I've not read the books so might give them a go.

Boz Tue 28-Mar-23 12:50:28

Can someome tell me if the boy knocked off the bike was murdered or an accident victim; non the wiser after two hours.

Iam64 Tue 28-Mar-23 09:04:47

I agree Calendargirl. I wondered if the author believed his readers needed the police officers to always have dark and complicated private lives.

Calendargirl Tue 28-Mar-23 08:59:37

I’ve read all the books too and thought the whole missing Sandy business was odd, plus the arrival of Bruno, and his even stranger departure.

Didn’t know what it added to Grace’s story, just an unnecessary sideline, especially after he moved in with Cleo.

Freya5 Tue 28-Mar-23 08:48:00

Curlywhirly

Calendargirl

Did anyone notice that the girl playing the sister of the pick up truck driver was the same actress as the druggie girlfriend in Unforgotten?

Yes, I did!

I thought I was seeing things, !!

Iam64 Tue 28-Mar-23 08:42:26

I’m another who read the Grace books and enjoyed them enough to read the next.
I found the back story on Grace/Sandy/Bruno odd, it was an unnecessary complication to the story lines. The Bruno story became increasingly sinister and the ending, well…
I also share the consensus that John Simm just isn’t Grace. I like the actor but he’s misplaced here. Grace is physically bigger and has more presence

LadyGracie Tue 28-Mar-23 08:20:46

We couldn't remember which programme we'd seen her in, thanks for that. Who could forget that fringe?
I feel like winding Grace up. I didn't realise he was so short.

Curlywhirly Mon 27-Mar-23 23:49:24

Calendargirl

Did anyone notice that the girl playing the sister of the pick up truck driver was the same actress as the druggie girlfriend in Unforgotten?

Yes, I did!

overthehill Mon 27-Mar-23 23:10:57

I watch so many police dramas they all seem to melt into one. I find keeping track of all the characters a bit of a challenge to. Violence doesn't bother me, they're stories after all.

Calendargirl Mon 27-Mar-23 21:14:59

Primrose53 Mon 27-Mar-23 19:53:49

sodapop

Primrose53

We have been watching it. I think the actor who plays Norman Grace is very wooden. Who under about 80 is called Norman anyway?

Did you mean Roy Grace or Norman Potting Primrose?

I agree Terribull Norman Potting is nothing like the character in the books.

So sorry, I mean Roy Grace. Very senior moment there!

Curlywhirly Mon 27-Mar-23 19:44:33

I've read most of the Peter James Grace books and really enjoyed them. I think John Simm is miscast as Grace and find his portrayal of the character really wooden - he appears to have no personality at all and is very bland; whereas Grace in the books is far more interesting and appealing. Glen's character is more true to the books and although Norman Potting in the books is very un-PC and a slob, I do like Dot Cotton's portrayal of him - a complete dinosaur but a good detective (which he is in the books). All in all, I am quite enjoying the series, though the books are far better.