Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The worst films you have ever seen

(136 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Tue 28-Mar-23 16:09:49

I'm inspired to ask by another thread.

Restricting myself to those I sat right through and didn't turn off/walk out of, I'd like to start the roll of shame with

Braveheart
Pretty Woman
The Postman Always Rings Twice (the Jack Nicholson/Jessica Lange remake not the original)
Top Gun
Beetlejuice

harrigran Wed 19-Apr-23 15:11:18

Greatest showman.
Lord of the rings.
Star wars.

BigBertha1 Wed 19-Apr-23 14:49:51

Allelujah
Moulin Rouge
Cool Runnings
Greatest Showman
All of the Star Wars
All of the Harry Potters
All the Super Heroes
Anything with Nicole Kidman

I sound really hard to please but there are so many films I really enjoy and go to the cinema as often as they are showing something I like. We also watch lots of films at home too.

Blossoming Wed 19-Apr-23 14:46:56

The Fly. I still avoid anything with Jeff Goldblum in it because of this.

vintage1950 Wed 19-Apr-23 14:01:32

Jules et Jim. Praised by all the critics. Two young men fall in love with the same toxic girl.

vampirequeen Tue 18-Apr-23 19:26:42

I hate:

Annie (all versions)
Oblivion
War of the Worlds (the Tom Cruise version)

BridgetPark Tue 18-Apr-23 17:22:13

Definitely the worst I have seen recently was Allelujah, a waste of acting talent, and thoroughly depressing. Also hated The Favourite, utter tripe and pointless, in my opinion.

M0nica Tue 18-Apr-23 14:03:49

M. Hulot's Holiday. I was taken to it by an aunt as a 'treat'. Mime leaves me cold, no not cold, has me running screaming for the hills.

I wouldn't describe 'Brief Encounter' as the worst film ever, but certainly grossly overrated. I always reckon that if the couple had gone off together it wouldn't have lasted 6 months. Just until they had each shown each other their ordinary everyday personalities and they had discovered they really had nothing in common.

Then there was an unnamed B film, forget what A film it accompanied. It was silent and contained a miserable looking knight with a bored horse, wandering round a small castle on a blasted moor and looking 'significant'- and that was all. Finally he rode away from the castle and the film ended. There were 5 of us in our party DH and I, his mother and two children around secondary school age. None of us understood it. But we talked about it for ages after, trying to work out what the point was.

Eloethan Mon 17-Apr-23 19:05:02

I still find Brief Encounter very touching but there was a re-make some years ago and it was awful. A more modern take on Brief Encounter was Falling in Love, with Meryl Streep and Robert de Niro. I thought that was a lovely film.

I haven't liked any of the Tarantino films.

I agree with those who don't like Gone with the Wind. Horrible film.

It''s so true that we are all different. I can't imagine anyone disliking that wonderful (and visually very beautiful) film Life of Pi. It's one of my favourites now.

Janetashbolt Sat 01-Apr-23 18:39:54

I was hoping noone would say Paint Your Wagon. My all-time favourite. Paid a fortune for a video when it first came out. Downloaded it from Sky and watch it often

camlyn Sat 01-Apr-23 09:20:20

Moulin Rouge
Pulp Fiction

grannydarkhair Sat 01-Apr-23 07:40:39

I’m struggling to think of the worst film/s I’ve ever seen, although there are a lot of films that I can’t say I’ve particularly enjoyed or would want to see again. Many of the films mentioned in this thread are ones that I’ve liked.
What I do hate is when sequels are churned out if the original film has been successful, e.g. the Jurassic Park franchise. And many re-makes are pretty bad, e.g. the last Little Women.

hollysteers Sat 01-Apr-23 02:28:28

Just remembered Battleship Potemkin in my beatnick days at a cinema club, trying to be be hip, didn’t confess my boredom😁
Witches of Easwick.

hollysteers Sat 01-Apr-23 02:11:49

Mamma Mia 😨
Turner, with Timothy Spaull grunting throughout.
Mothers Day, pretentious arty film with the ubiquitous Olivia Coleman, ugh.

Granmarderby10 Fri 31-Mar-23 21:50:07

Chestnut I love that film too but clearly mums friend was expecting a Western🤣

Hedgehog2908 Fri 31-Mar-23 14:02:28

Vanilla Sky
Any musical

Maggierose Fri 31-Mar-23 12:31:56

Last Year in Marienbad
La La Land

Chestnut Fri 31-Mar-23 12:11:20

Granmarderby10

*RVK1CR*. yes I recall my mum’s friend being very disappointed with the film Midnight Cowboy 🤠
Loved the theme tune though by Harry Nilsson.

Noooo! Midnight Cowboy is an amazing movie. I always cry at the ending and that is very rare for me. Dustin Hoffman excels at playing quirky characters (Papillion, Rain Man) and this movie has a soul.

Granmarderby10 Fri 31-Mar-23 11:51:40

RVK1CR. yes I recall my mum’s friend being very disappointed with the film Midnight Cowboy 🤠
Loved the theme tune though by Harry Nilsson.

gangy5 Fri 31-Mar-23 11:29:45

La La Land - cannot understand the number of Oscars it received.

DiddyNan Fri 31-Mar-23 11:17:29

The Blob (1958 version) - ridiculous
Straw Dogs (1971 version) - disturbing
Any Fast and Furious Films - can't take them seriously but maybe I'm not supposed to.

Curlywhirly Fri 31-Mar-23 10:43:38

Gravity - love George Clooney, but this was so boring
The Favourite - another boring watch
Notting Hill - so cheesey
Any musical - apart from Sound of Music, which I have watched several times!

Callistemon21 Fri 31-Mar-23 10:15:24

Last Christmas was corny and terrible but we all enjoyed it - that is, Grannies, Mum and granddaughters!

fiorentina51 Fri 31-Mar-23 06:42:35

Shampoo
I went with a friend. We both hated it and left halfway through the film.

RVK1CR Fri 31-Mar-23 01:19:58

Sorry should have been "to GO out "

RVK1CR Fri 31-Mar-23 01:19:06

Probably my fault for not reading any reviews, but back in the late 1970's when I had a young baby I had a rare chance to out. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest was showing locally. I really thought it was about birds ! Was so disappointed