Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Anyone started Maryland ?

(152 Posts)
BlueBelle Tue 23-May-23 07:32:45

I enjoyed it last night and thought it is very promising some good actors in it Suran jones who never fails and Hugh Quashie (Rick Griffin out of holby ) Eva Best held my attention anyway and I didn’t nod off as I often do

Susynan Thu 25-May-23 17:30:15

Seakay

Primrose53

I watched it last night. Struggling to imagine she had been visiting IOM for years and nobody knew.

So the American drug dealer woman knows more about her but isn’t saying just yet. No idea who that actress is but she looks like she has had more than her fair share of botox.

I also thought the fair haired sister looked old enough to be Suranne’s character’s mother.

The sisters didn't know she was visiting IOM. That's not everyone!

The American actress is Stockard Channing (leader of the Pink Ladies in Grease and First Lady in The West Wing). What makes you think she is a drug dealer?

The fair haired sister has had cancer twice and is waiting for the results of a biopsy.

From the Guardian review -

Aveline Thu 25-May-23 16:58:31

I enjoyed it. My only complaint was that I thought it was a four part drama so felt cheated when I went to look for part four but no luck! Och.

Seakay Thu 25-May-23 16:21:40

Primrose53

I watched it last night. Struggling to imagine she had been visiting IOM for years and nobody knew.

So the American drug dealer woman knows more about her but isn’t saying just yet. No idea who that actress is but she looks like she has had more than her fair share of botox.

I also thought the fair haired sister looked old enough to be Suranne’s character’s mother.

The sisters didn't know she was visiting IOM. That's not everyone!

The American actress is Stockard Channing (leader of the Pink Ladies in Grease and First Lady in The West Wing). What makes you think she is a drug dealer?

The fair haired sister has had cancer twice and is waiting for the results of a biopsy.

TillyTrotter Thu 25-May-23 16:13:38

I enjoyed it as a different sort of drama from the usual.
Sibling relationships can be very complex and grudges held throughout life.
Well acted by the 2 sisters, not so much some of the other actors.
I think I would have left their father - he seemed a spiteful man.

Beautyandthebeast Thu 25-May-23 16:09:47

Yes I binge watch it all in one evening. Very enjoyable although part of its slightly unbelievable. Xxx

grammargran Thu 25-May-23 15:48:06

Thought the ending fizzled out a bit, otherwise an enjoyable watch, and the acting was excellent, especially the sisters’ falling out scenes and arguments. Couldn’t see the point of Stockard Channing’s character, Cathy, being an American. What was the significance of that? Why couldn’t Cathy just have been a Manx woman friend? Or are Americans more likely to deal in drugs?

specki4eyes Thu 25-May-23 15:47:09

And speaking of annoying names (someone was)....Stockyard Channing? Hello? Why in the name of all that's holy would a casting director choose an ancient d-list actress who's had so much facial surgery that I had to switch sub titles on to decipher her lines!
The only thing I enjoyed Doodledog is being given the means to have a good old rant!grin

cossybabe Thu 25-May-23 15:18:03

I BINGED ALL 3 EPISODES on ITVX - very good and different

Jjanl Thu 25-May-23 14:59:46

Watched all 3 episodes. It is quite good, looking at the sisters relationship. You watch all episodes on ITVX

knspol Thu 25-May-23 14:59:14

Watched all 3 episodes and enjoyed them although as someone else said bit silly to be expected to believe the mother spent so much time away and nobody noticed.

Annie25 Thu 25-May-23 14:55:13

Watched it all on ITVx it was an easy watch ,not thrilling but good acting as always from Suranne Jones .

4allweknow Thu 25-May-23 14:15:39

Whatch all episodes at once inspute of finding it all a bit predictable. Stayed with it as the acting was good.

DamaskRose Thu 25-May-23 14:07:04

Sorry, I don’t like Suranne Jones, but then I’m a funny b****r as I don’t/didn’t like David Attenborough or Terry Wogan (those well know national treasures) either! But I will give this a go as it sounds quite interesting so thanks for the heads up.

Lindy Thu 25-May-23 14:03:02

I really enjoyed Maryland. The characters were totally believable and the sisters were both trying to fathom it all out in their own way. A really thought provoking drama. All the cast were great. I enjoyed it.

Nannan2 Thu 25-May-23 13:53:46

Never heard of eve best but the face did look familiar...🤔

Marilla Thu 25-May-23 13:49:53

Stockard Channing played Dr Abigail Bartlet, wife of the President in the West Wing. She was excellent in the series and very beautiful.
I am quite enjoying Maryland but not really a fan of Suranne Jones. Eve Best is a classy actress. I always enjoyed her performances in the American series Nurse Jackie. She was hilarious.

Nannan2 Thu 25-May-23 13:49:31

Think mean episode 2...

bevisp1 Thu 25-May-23 13:48:31

I thought this was a brand new series, other people have commented that they are on series 2, have I missed something?

Nannan2 Thu 25-May-23 13:48:29

Yes Doodledog-thats why it's named 'Maryland',grin

Nannan2 Thu 25-May-23 13:47:07

Yes the dopey husband of Becca annoyed me too- could he not have nipped to the shop and bought a cheap shower gel till his wife got home? Useless man.

bevisp1 Thu 25-May-23 13:46:06

Yes, I’ve watched it, no real ending so 2nd series?

Nannan2 Thu 25-May-23 13:37:14

I thought they were going to reveal surrannes older sister as her real mother at one point as she looked so old.That was just about the only plot missing.Felt more could have been made of the mums lover's part too really as he is usually quite a decent actor-was'nt he in casualty?

Nannan2 Thu 25-May-23 13:27:48

I didn't realise Surrane had written it- I'm a bit disappointed in that then.Yes first episode showed much promise but it went down hill from there..yes I too thoroughly enjoyed 10 pound poms.I thought that was much better all round.(watched all of it over 3days downloaded)

Nannan2 Thu 25-May-23 13:18:43

Yes I think maybe they could have made it a 2hour Tele drama maybe.And where did they all think she was going when she kept popping over to this placehmm

Nannan2 Thu 25-May-23 13:15:48

Yes watched it all at once last night from sky.was a bit disappointed with ending tbh.I had guessed a bit of it.But still don't think American lady was telling the whole truth but it is what it is..I noticed Sue Tulley was directing it though- I think that's same Susan Tulley who was Michelle in EastEnders, I'd heard she went into directing.Not bad but I think with Surrane Jones in it could have been better, but they have to act as they are directed to..I too enjoyed watching her in Gentleman Jack as I grew up & then lived many years in that area and was lovely to see the old place and see the history portrayed onscreen.And only Surrane could have pulled off acting that character.