Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Anyone started Maryland ?

(152 Posts)
BlueBelle Tue 23-May-23 07:32:45

I enjoyed it last night and thought it is very promising some good actors in it Suran jones who never fails and Hugh Quashie (Rick Griffin out of holby ) Eva Best held my attention anyway and I didn’t nod off as I often do

Susynan Thu 25-May-23 17:30:15

Seakay

Primrose53

I watched it last night. Struggling to imagine she had been visiting IOM for years and nobody knew.

So the American drug dealer woman knows more about her but isn’t saying just yet. No idea who that actress is but she looks like she has had more than her fair share of botox.

I also thought the fair haired sister looked old enough to be Suranne’s character’s mother.

The sisters didn't know she was visiting IOM. That's not everyone!

The American actress is Stockard Channing (leader of the Pink Ladies in Grease and First Lady in The West Wing). What makes you think she is a drug dealer?

The fair haired sister has had cancer twice and is waiting for the results of a biopsy.

From the Guardian review -

Junglebub Thu 25-May-23 17:34:54

You did make me laugh, specki4eyes!
Am with you all the way...

ruthie2 Thu 25-May-23 18:53:57

It was OK, watched it to the end, but I felt it was a bit of a missed opportunity - I wanted to know more about the mother's Isle of Man life and the "beautiful" writing she'd been doing. Also the fact that she'd apparently assumed another persona was scarcely touched on.
Also there was a bit too much getting up and flouncing out of rooms for my liking!

madeleine45 Thu 25-May-23 18:55:05

I am spitting feathers as our wretched bilston mast has been out of order for some time and temporary stuff not good, and when do they choose to change it? Chelsea week!!! So have tried to retune but cant get bbc on it well and this play started off very well and then the sound started to go wrong and the picture fractured and then black screeen!!! Will have to catch up on my computer, but I like suranne as an actress. I sailed and we used to call at the IOM as a first port of call usually whether we were going to Ireland or to Outer Hebrides. Travelled on the little train and the buses etc and my son loved it once when we sailed into harbour as the TT bikes were all coming off the big ship . Not keen on douglas but we liked Peel and also Port St Mary and Port Erin. Long time since I was there but it was very enjoyable to wander around there. Hopefully I can catch up with the next episode .

LilyoftheValley Thu 25-May-23 19:11:03

CalendarGirl Thank you so much for finding such an apt word. "Constipated" is spot on. Never varies what ever role she has.

Calendargirl Thu 25-May-23 19:14:22

You’re welcome Lily.

Primrose53 Thu 25-May-23 19:35:11

Seakay

Primrose53

I watched it last night. Struggling to imagine she had been visiting IOM for years and nobody knew.

So the American drug dealer woman knows more about her but isn’t saying just yet. No idea who that actress is but she looks like she has had more than her fair share of botox.

I also thought the fair haired sister looked old enough to be Suranne’s character’s mother.

The sisters didn't know she was visiting IOM. That's not everyone!

The American actress is Stockard Channing (leader of the Pink Ladies in Grease and First Lady in The West Wing). What makes you think she is a drug dealer?

The fair haired sister has had cancer twice and is waiting for the results of a biopsy.

Tell me who knew she was visiting IOM regularly then.

Because she was buying and passing on drugs.

Don’t understand that.

Sheila11 Thu 25-May-23 20:54:53

Sadly although it was set in the Isle of Man it was filmed in Ireland and Cornwall!

tiredoldwoman Fri 26-May-23 20:20:14

I loved the house and really fancied the taxi driver ! The story , after the first intriguing episode , was odd but maybe a second series could beef it up and answer our questions ?

nadateturbe Fri 26-May-23 20:30:05

I enjoyed it, but could have been better.

DeeJaysMum Sat 27-May-23 04:11:03

I can't watch these short series over 3 separate nights, I just binge them on itvx.
It was fairly good, glad it wasn't longer than 3 episodes though!

Primrose53 Sat 27-May-23 09:09:34

tiredoldwoman

I loved the house and really fancied the taxi driver ! The story , after the first intriguing episode , was odd but maybe a second series could beef it up and answer our questions ?

Was it the black boxers? 🤣 the taxi driver who never had any fares except her, who never paid anyway!

annsixty Sat 27-May-23 09:47:05

Binge watched last night.
A totally unbelievable bit of nonsense but I enjoyed it.
What a grouch the husband
/ father was.
I would have just left him years before.

Caleo Sat 27-May-23 10:31:24

Would someone please explain what it's about? I had a look at it for ten minutes and the plot looked very complicated with a very large caste of characters

mabon1 Sat 27-May-23 19:43:05

Watched all of it - rather under-whelmed.

Dottydots Sun 28-May-23 10:50:09

I too quite fancied the taxi driver, but if he'd come in for a kiss with me I would never had found his lips amongst all that beard hair.

Greyduster Sun 28-May-23 11:04:11

the plot looked very complicated with a very large caste of characters.
Caleo are you sure you were watching the same programme? I could be wrong but there were only eight actors in it - ten if you count the policeman, and a walk on with about two lines.

LadyGracie Sun 28-May-23 11:46:01

I did enjoy it but I can't tell you why.
A bit over the top maybe.
It was directed by Susan Tully, who played Michelle Fowler in Eastenders.

Caleo Mon 29-May-23 10:07:09

Greyduster, I think it was the one you area all talking about as I remember Suranne Jones's appearance in the short bit I watched before I gave up. If only I had a handle on the plot I may quite like it.

Soniah Tue 30-May-23 08:20:07

I enjoyed it, several have said they didn't like Gentleman Jack but I loved it!

Aveline Tue 30-May-23 11:17:04

I enjoyed Gentleman Jack too. A most original story in a sea of police dramas.

Pittcity Tue 30-May-23 12:43:23

It started out promising but I was disappointed by the ending. Nothing really explained or tied up.

specki4eyes Tue 30-May-23 15:27:43

Glad to have made you laugh junglebub. I'm over that rant now and am currently ranting about the tennis commentators on my French TV who NEVER STOP YACKING LONG ENOUGH TO DRAW BREATH!
Oh yes, I do have a life but find so much on tv so annoying! Paradoxically, last night I was thoroughly engrossed in a fascinating programme about the Beatles, when my No1 son had the gall to ring me.grin
I'll get my coat.

TiggyW Sun 04-Jun-23 14:33:02

I agree, Pittcity. The acting was very good, but the story was rather far-fetched. I find Costigan (the father) a bit creepy after seeing him in some dodgy films years ago!
I thought it might turn into a murder case.
I’m surprised that so many people don’t remember Stockard Channing from Grease! She’s definitely had plenty of work done! She’s 79! She was no teenager when Grease was made. 😂

travelsafar Wed 14-Jun-23 21:20:58

I have just been watching this and enjoyed it as it was something different. Suranne is looking sooo thin these days and it isn't pleasant to see.