Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Father Brown - BBC Adaption

(20 Posts)
SeaWoozle Thu 29-Feb-24 23:10:57

More than late to the party, but came across this earlier on iPlayer. Not the most challenging of crime/mysteries but it's cute and fairly harmless (except the murders, of course!). Like a chilled Midsomer 😊

merlotgran Thu 29-Feb-24 23:55:05

The early ones are the best. I’m not keen on the new casting.

Freya5 Fri 01-Mar-24 08:02:26

merlotgran

The early ones are the best. I’m not keen on the new casting.

I really enjoyed the older series, but definitely not the same without, Mrs McCarthy, Bunty, Sid. The new cast seem out of place, wooden acting and that screechy voice. What a shame.

YorkLady Fri 01-Mar-24 08:31:51

I always thought that the earlier series would have been perfect for a Sunday night slot on BBC1.
It’s far too good to be left in daytime TV.

keepcalmandcavachon Fri 01-Mar-24 08:58:31

I was late to the party too SeaWoozle, as I know the area where it was filmed and would feel utterly homesick for days if I watched it! Very happily moved 'back home' several years ago so now can watch without a box of tissues.....

AGAA4 Fri 01-Mar-24 09:01:30

I agree. It's not the same without the earlier cast. Mrs McCarthy and Sid were such good characters. The new ones are a bit insipid.

merlotgran Fri 01-Mar-24 09:01:46

I miss Bunty, Lady Felicia, Sid, Mrs McCarthy and Inspector Mallory’s ‘PaddRay!’

It’s feeble now and I often fall asleep half way through.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Mar-24 09:17:17

I miss the original cast, but still sit down in a Friday afternoon with a cup of tea and watch it. I find it twee, but somehow relaxing.

SeaWoozle Fri 01-Mar-24 09:24:22

keepcalmandcavachon

I was late to the party too SeaWoozle, as I know the area where it was filmed and would feel utterly homesick for days if I watched it! Very happily moved 'back home' several years ago so now can watch without a box of tissues.....

Yes, when I looked to see where it was filmed (as I thought I recognised the church!) I realised I too knew where it was. I lived down the road for a few years and before that, worked all around that part of the country. Gorgeous part of the world.

merlotgran Fri 01-Mar-24 10:44:30

GrannyGravy13

I miss the original cast, but still sit down in a Friday afternoon with a cup of tea and watch it. I find it twee, but somehow relaxing.

Same here and if it’s a repeat it doesn’t matter if I nod off!

Perils of watching telly straight after lunch! 😂

Visgir1 Fri 01-Mar-24 11:14:45

Father Brown has been one of my guilty TV pleasure for ages. The series started in 2013, I love it as its set in the 1950s when my parents where young. It's not just the daft stories but the settings, I like the clothes, what they eat, the kitchen everyone on bikes, life in this village is delightful.
It's one of those programs you don't have to think about too much, it wraps you in a warm hug.

SeaWoozle Fri 01-Mar-24 11:57:30

Visgir1

Father Brown has been one of my guilty TV pleasure for ages. The series started in 2013, I love it as its set in the 1950s when my parents where young. It's not just the daft stories but the settings, I like the clothes, what they eat, the kitchen everyone on bikes, life in this village is delightful.
It's one of those programs you don't have to think about too much, it wraps you in a warm hug.

Totally agree!

I'm watching it while wrapping up glasses to box. Easy to keep up with, silly stories but all done and dusted in a hour. So easy to watch. I'm loving it. Will watch the rest of this series then start at the beginning. I don't suppose it matters that I've started at the end!

Mollygo Fri 01-Mar-24 12:02:20

Love Father Brown, although I prefer the earlier ones I’m quite happy to watch the new ones we decided at first we didn’t like it but then decided to give it a go and see how it settled in.

annodomini Fri 01-Mar-24 12:02:20

Much as I enjoy the Father Brown series, I can't help wondering why an English village has a Catholic church and priest. I like Tom Chambers as the Inspector. Loved him in Strictly!

SeaWoozle Sun 10-Mar-24 12:32:11

Watched the end of one I started a week or so ago about a Serial Killer. Found it quite disturbing in parts- particularly if it was originally shown during the day! I really don't mind grim stuff but one particular scene gave me the shivers!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 10-Mar-24 12:52:31

annodomini

Much as I enjoy the Father Brown series, I can't help wondering why an English village has a Catholic church and priest. I like Tom Chambers as the Inspector. Loved him in Strictly!

My English village has a Catholic Church at one end of the High Road, a Spiritulist and Methodist Church in the middle finished off with a Church of England at the other end. All active in our small community.

Whiff Mon 11-Mar-24 06:25:42

Anyone remember the Father Brown film in black and white with Alec Guinness,Peter Finch and Joan Greenwood. Saw it a few weeks back it was lovely.

But I do like the BBC version old and new cast. Love Sister Boniface on Drama channel.

Curtaintwitcher Mon 11-Mar-24 06:40:53

There aren't many programmes where you can just relax and enjoy the escapism. Rosemary and Thyme is another in the same vein.
There is obviously a need for these gentle dramas, so I'm surprised they don't make more of them.

Juliet27 Mon 11-Mar-24 06:52:54

There’s Shakespeare & Hathaway, The Madame Blanc Mysteries and Darby & Joan. All gentle dramas.

Marmin Mon 11-Mar-24 07:45:02

I have enjoyed every episode. Has anyone tried Sister Boniface? It is stylistically different but most likeable.