Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Under The Banner Of Heaven

(17 Posts)
gulligranny Sat 02-Mar-24 18:01:21

Has anyone else watched this on ITVX? It's about a brutal murder 40 years ago within a devout Mormon area of Utah, and plays out on several levels: finding the killers, dissecting the layers of Mormon beliefs and also some historic background. It's the brainchild of Dustin Lance Black, husband of Tom Daley, and is based on the book by Jon Krakauer.

It's a harrowing watch. The misogyny and brutality is jaw-dropping, as is the Stepford-like behaviour of women within the community. And to see a committed Mormon losing his faith hurts your heart, even if you are repulsed by the teachings of that particular religion.

I'd be interested to know if others have watched, and what they think.

Puzzlelove Sat 02-Mar-24 18:14:25

We started watching it but have both decided that it’s not for us.

Poppyred Sat 02-Mar-24 18:30:26

Yes, I’ve watched it. Gruesome and appalling but I did enjoy it. 🥴😀. Not a true story….

Cossy Sat 02-Mar-24 18:44:04

Haven’t watched it yet, but from the trailers I think it’s the sort of thing I like to watch, so it’s on my list

merlotgran Sat 02-Mar-24 18:50:33

I started it this afternoon and it’s right up my street.

Hoping to find time to binge watch.

Sparklefizz Sat 02-Mar-24 20:15:31

I’m watching it. The misogyny is awful and I’m finding that depressing but I shall stick with it. I thought it was based on a true story.

keepingquiet Sat 02-Mar-24 20:38:03

Hi- I finished it last night and really enjoyed it, if that is the right word. At times I struggled with the flashbacks to Joseph Smith etc- but in the end they made a kind of sense.
I thought the performances were very sensitive and intelligently written.
Although the terrible murder of this poor young woman and her child really happened, and two brothers convicted were quite accurately portrayed I thought, the detectives and other characters were entirely fictitious.
So yes, a good watch and very thought provoking and really harrowing at times.

Coolgran65 Sat 02-Mar-24 20:55:53

I'm currently watching it and wonder how true it is to morman life. I'm thinking of the detective Pyre family. I also understood it was based on a true story. I think it says so on screen at the beginning.

Grayling1 Sat 02-Mar-24 21:00:40

Have just watched first episode but will keep going although if I read the above post correctly I think we have just been given a big clue as to the outcome but to be honest I think after the first episode who would be involved in the crime!!

gulligranny Sat 02-Mar-24 22:16:11

Good to know others have watched and feel as I do. It will stay with me for a long time, I think.

Debs8 Sat 02-Mar-24 22:45:18

I’ll never forget. The murders took place in 1984 right after I graduated from high school. “The case is still considered one of the most notorious and gruesome in Utah’s history. And while the case it’s based on is real, the show does have some fictionalized elements.”

keepingquiet Sun 03-Mar-24 12:02:26

Yes, the detectives are entirely fictional.

Dee1012 Sun 03-Mar-24 15:16:55

I'd read the book some time ago so was quite keen to see this.
I thought it was very well done and I do quite like how fiction and reality have been combined.
There was another interesting programme related to the Mormon faith... about the Utah bombings, also worth watching.

merlotgran Wed 06-Mar-24 16:57:06

I’ve just finished watching it and it made me realise how little I know about the Mormon faith.

Kalu Wed 06-Mar-24 17:19:23

I hadn’t heard of it but it sounds just like the type of programme I will enjoy. Tonight’s viewing taken care of.

I watched a documentary a few years ago about Mormon women who decided to leave their church. They were completely cut off by their families and had to fend for themselves. A fascinating insight into a life of the misogyny these women have to endure.
Similarly, I have just finished a book by Julia Haart, Brazen in which she tells of her life under a strict orthodox Jewish life as a female, same misogynistic regime which she eventually found the courage to break away from leaving her husband and children behind. She knew nothing about living in a gentile way of life and gradually built a fashion empire. A fascinating read.

Greenfinch Thu 25-Apr-24 13:09:36

I have come late to this drama only recently having learnt how to access ITVX on my laptop. I have watched two episodes and am finding it really good although it took me a little while to sort out who was who in the Lafferty family. I looked up the crime so know who is responsible but that does not detract from my experience in watching it. We have some Mormons in our extended family and so it is interesting to see how their beliefs are portrayed. One of the most bizarre is the fact that you cannot enter the Kingdom of Heaven unless you are married. All in all a very good production.

HousePlantQueen Thu 25-Apr-24 15:28:34

We came across it by accident, didn't think we'd like it but got really into it. Well worth watching