Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Gilded Age

(3 Posts)
hollysteers Tue 05-Mar-24 11:32:26

Anyone else really enjoy this two series production? I watched it on Amazon and thought it was excellent, very well made. I’m really looking forward to series 3, but will have a long wait it seems.
Anything Julian Fellowes is involved in always pleases me, his books too.

biglouis Tue 05-Mar-24 11:41:48

I enjoyed it as well. It brings to mind two books by Edith Wharton - the Age of Innocence and House of Mirth. They have both been filmed and are wonderful presentations of the class system in late 19th century New York. The costumes are excellent and mostly quite accurate.

Who says the Americans dont have a class system? They could be just as petty and formal as the British.

Urmstongran Tue 05-Mar-24 11:46:44

I adored The House of Mirth with the fabulous acting from Gillian Anderson. The costumes were gorgeous. It’s one of my top 10 films (I have the DVD on my bookcase). I cry whenever I watch it it’s so poignant and the heroine so honest in her values and stays true to them through much torment and castigation. A great cast.

Thank you for the nod about this production hollysteers as it sounds right up my street. I might tune in at the weekend perhaps.