Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

For All Mankind TV Series

(7 Posts)
biglouis Sun 17-Mar-24 11:13:37

Would probably have been better had they called it "For all humanity" but what the hell. Apparently its from a quote that the first mission left on the moon.

As some of you know I am a strong SF fan. I tend towards science fantasy and didnt think I would enjoy this but I am really hooked.

It begins in the 1960s in an alternate reality where the Russians reached the moon first and the USA was morally devastated. The Soviet Union empire never fell so the cold war continued into the 1990s. And so did the space race.

Some of the events echo actual historical happenings (eg Reagan and Kennedy being president) but others develop at a very different tangent. The show ran into 4 series. They are making a series 5 now.

Well worth a watch for a different take on actual events which happened in our lifetime.

biglouis Sun 17-Mar-24 11:14:13

Its available on Apple TV.

Jewelle Sun 17-Mar-24 13:43:03

It’s a great series. However I do think that they should have stopped it after series 3.

grannydarkhair Sun 17-Mar-24 18:38:07

It took me quite a few episodes to really start enjoying season one, although I loved the idea of both the alternate reality and how women played major roles in it. I’ve only seen the first three seasons, I stopped subscribing to Apple TV when there wasn’t anything I particularly fancied watching, but am going to re-subscribe very soon.
Overall, I think there’s lots of great series on Apple, really enjoyed Ted Lasso, Slow Horses, Bad Sisters, Black Bird, See, Severance, especially.

Jane43 Sun 17-Mar-24 20:42:10

We enjoyed the first three series very much but found the last one hard going.

biglouis Mon 18-Mar-24 16:31:23

They have made a gay astronaut as a big nono, as well as being a gay politician. But then we are talking about the USA here. I dont remember being gay of lesbian as such a big deal by the 1990s. I was an academic by then so a very different atmosphere. But I cant recall it being the kind of preference which would put an end to a public career.

Jane43 Wed 20-Mar-24 00:22:52

The rules about being openly gay in the US military were only changed in 2011.