Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Music

(23 Posts)
Mel1967 Sun 17-Mar-24 18:40:52

Music is very important to us and we often have evenings where we just listen to music.
No television.
We also go regularly to live music events.
Very much 80s music.
Recently saw ABC and looking forward to Gary Newman.
Plenty more lined up.
Anyone else like us??

Floradora9 Sun 17-Mar-24 21:32:03

Strictly classical music for me . I listen to my playlist on Amazon music .

MayBee70 Sun 17-Mar-24 21:59:38

My current dog doesn’t like loud music and, when I play music I play it loud. But sometimes she stays at my partners and I get lots of cd’s out and play them for hours. I’m discovering lots of new folk music by listening to the Folk on Foot podcast so I’m listening to Johnny Flynn and Lankum. Don’t go to gigs any more because I’m still worried about catching covid ( and also current dog is a bit of a lockdown dog and can’t be left) which is frustrating because one of my favourite bands GOAT are playing nearby soon.

M0nica Sun 17-Mar-24 22:21:39

We go to concerts and we go to the opera, nothing grand various touring operas when they come to local venues and live relays at our local Cine Centre, plus good amateur local proper opera groups.

DH has sung, produced , been musical director and everything else in local proper opera groups for over 60 years until he finally lay down his baton a month ago, silenced by health problems.

Cabbie21 Sun 17-Mar-24 22:33:37

I couldn’t be without music. For me it is classical choral singing and church music of a traditional variety.
I caught the end of a tv programme tonight about André Previn. It was an old clip showing him conducting an all male white orchestra with few under 40. Things have moved on thankfully.

Poppyred Sun 17-Mar-24 22:40:00

I love music. Very often like listening instead of watching telly. 60s/70s my favourite but also love gospel music and a good male voice choir.

Gin Sun 17-Mar-24 23:00:42

We mainly listen to classical music. I like opera and go whenever I can and enjoy the Royal Opera cinema linkups, the next one is Madame Butterfly. I also sing in two choirs where we cover all types of music from Les Miserables to Mozart. I usually go to sleep with BBC3. This evening, OH was in the kitchen with jazz blaring out whilst he did the washing up. When my son is staying it is BBC 6 Music, getting to like it!

MissAdventure Sun 17-Mar-24 23:03:48

I love live music, and used to love going to gigs or festivals.
I couldn't manage it now, which is just as well, because I've nobody to go with.

paddyann54 Sun 17-Mar-24 23:17:17

We usually sit up until 3 am or later listening to music,dancing round the living room and chatting .Its a throw back to our working lives when we often didn't finish until after midnight and if we hadn't taken time then we wouldn't have got any time to ourselves.We listen to all sorts of music .I dont understand folk who only listen to one type or one era ,theres great music from the 30's until now and I love finding new bands and artists .

MissAdventure Sun 17-Mar-24 23:19:48

smile
That sounds lovely paddyann.
I know you're a huge music fan.
Paolo Nuttini was one of your favourites, a fair while back.

Whiff Mon 18-Mar-24 06:06:17

Listen to Classic FM from 5am until 12.30pm . Then do my 25 mins exercise routine to ELO or ABBA. Then TV on while I have lunch then cross stitch during the afternoon. I catch up on programmes that start at 9pm as I usually nod off trying to watch anything at that time. Sometimes can stay awake until 10 pm. 😁

MissInterpreted Mon 18-Mar-24 07:20:03

I have very eclectic tastes in music but rock, indie and punk is my passion. Going to a couple of big arena gigs this summer and can't wait. Love keeping up to date with today's new music too.

Greyduster Mon 18-Mar-24 07:44:48

Classical for me. I have various playlists on my phone so I can take music everywhere with me, and usually have Radio 3 on in the car. I stopped listening to Classic FM when the same pieces seem to be coming round on a loop! I love the three B’s - Bach, Brahms, and Borodin, and composers such as Britten, Walton, Holst, Delius, Finzi, Bax and Vaughan Williams.

kittylester Mon 18-Mar-24 07:51:34

I love music and agree with Paddyann. It seems odd to just listen to one genre.

The words to songs are the hook for me but DH loves modern jazz - so not many words there.

I am not too keen on Classical or opera but it would be a very dull world without music of some sort.

Harris27 Mon 18-Mar-24 07:56:49

Love 70/80s music have smooth radio on when I’m in listen to all types hubby likes classic rock and I love any background easy listening. Buble rod Stewart ed Sheeran. We go to local arts centre see lots of tribute bands.

Urmstongran Mon 18-Mar-24 08:01:44

I’ve just put the kettle on and switched Radio Málaga on. I ask Alexa to play Boom Radio at home. Always have music/chat on in the background from the get go. I’m not a fan of complete silence.

Grandma70s Mon 18-Mar-24 08:10:17

Classical music is such a huge and varied genre that in my lifetime (84 years) I’ve probably still only scratched the surface. I have sung in several choirs, the most exciting being attached to a symphony orchestra. We did a tour of Spain singing Mahler 8 every night! I haven’t sung for years now - old voices are not good and I wouldn’t pass the auditions, even if I had the energy.

I listened to a bit of pop in the sixties, but I didn’t find it very satisfying. The only pop record I ever bought was the Beatles Penny Lane. I thinkStrawberry Fields was on the other side.

Neither of my sons sing, sadly, but one goes to a lot of opera in London, so I’ve passed on some of my passion.

Kandinsky Mon 18-Mar-24 08:53:50

It’s not as important to me now ( I’m 61 )
can’t remember the last time I downloaded a new song. I’ve seen loads of bands live, but really couldn’t handle it now. Not because I feel too old, I’m just not as interested in music.
Never been into classical music, it was always ‘popular’ music and that’s really for the young.
I still listen to music, but it’s from the 70’s & 80’s because that’s when I was young.
I like some new stuff but don’t get excited by it.

Joseann Mon 18-Mar-24 09:00:02

I enjoy listening to music, and my playlist covers all genres except opera. I come from a world of dance, so most of my favourites are ballets or musical theatre numbers. DH is a cathedral chorister, do he opts for church music and concert performances. I also listen to French songs when feeling romantic or nostalgic.

Freya5 Mon 18-Mar-24 09:03:59

Classical, for driving
jazz, streamed on you tube, calming for reading, 50 60 music when feeling nostalgic.

Kate1949 Mon 18-Mar-24 09:34:34

We've been to hundreds of concerts over the years, mainly rock stars, also Tony Bennett, Michael Bublé, many more. The last one was last week There's Something About George (the music of George Harrison). The next is 7 Drunken Nights, the music of The Dubliners. We've also seen opera, folk etc.

MayBee70 Mon 18-Mar-24 23:24:47

There’s a Hans Zimmer concert on Sky Arts at the moment. It’s so good ( repeated early on Thursday morning). My daughter took her boys to see him in concert a year or so ago and they loved it.

gulligranny Sat 23-Mar-24 17:48:56

I mostly listen to classical music; I love the romantic Russians - Rachmaninov, Shostakovich, Borodin, Rimsky-Korsakov, and also the film scores of John Williams, John Barry and Hans Zimmer.

I've recently discovered Magic at the Musicals and Mellow Magic on my new DAB+ radio, which I usually listen to whilst cooking dinner and singing along!