Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

H for Hawk

(12 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sept-26 13:52:28

Netflix.

Claire Foy

A lovely film dealing with grief.

A Cambridge academic and her Goshawk.

Iam64 Wed 09-Sept-26 14:09:53

Thanks, I found the book compelling. Didn’t know about this film

Grannybags Wed 09-Sept-26 15:10:57

I read the book too. Didn’t know about the film. Thanks

Whitewavemark2 Wed 09-Sept-26 15:43:44

I havent read the book. I hope those who have dont find the film dissappointing.

Sago Wed 09-Sept-26 16:32:19

The film is outstanding.

Greyduster Thu 10-Sept-26 07:29:56

I watched this last night. It was truly amazing and very moving. Claire Foy has just the right ‘brittle’, vulnerable quality for the lead role.

Gingster Thu 10-Sept-26 07:56:39

I watched about 40 minutes and then got bored and started researching things on my iPad. It was rather slow and I felt so sorry for the hawk, shackled and blindfolded.

I will persevere and watch the rest tonight.

Boz Thu 10-Sept-26 17:17:20

You had to have an admiration for Claire Foy's handling of the hawk but a really boring film.

MayBee70 Thu 10-Sept-26 17:26:57

I loved the book. It was slow and quite heavy but I was compelled to read it( and I struggle to read books these days). There was a documentary about it on iplayer. I am fascinated by birds of prey.

polly123 Sat 12-Sept-26 14:12:35

A wonderful film and such a beautiful bird.

MayBee70 Sat 12-Sept-26 22:51:49

I did a couple of hawk walks a few years ago ( it was probably when I read the book). I held a golden eagle on one of them; they told me to just touch its talon and as I did so I felt the grip tighten so powerfully. Vice like.I’ve known a couple of people that have flown Harris hawks but they both injured their legs, a common injury with birds of prey I believe. What always amazes me is how small barn owls are and yet they look so huge when they’re flying. When you think about it there are several words that we just take for granted that are falconry terms, like mews and mantles. I still remember seeing two buzzards ambush some prey although I don’t think it’s a common hunting technique; it must be thirty years ago now but it’s still fresh in my mind. And when my daughter and I both had small puppies we were both scared to leave them in the garden because we both suddenly seemed to have buzzards near to our gardens that weren’t there before. My daughter was ok because the corvids ganged up on them. I hung old cd’s on the branch of a tree to scare them off but then took them down as I’m in the flight path of a nearby airport and I was worried that I might cause a crash…

StTrinians Thu 17-Sept-26 17:18:06

I really enjoyed the book. I admire Claire Foy as an actress, shebis excellent. However, for me, the book wins again. Emotions, nuances, colours, atmosphere... best portrayed in the original form. A very filmic read though. smile Enjoy. smile