Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Middlemarch

(22 Posts)
Greenfinch Wed 16-Sept-26 08:45:43

For those of us who like the classics I noticed that Middlemarch begins tonight on BBC4 at 10.15 ( the first of seven episodes). I shall record it to watch through the long winter evenings.

NotSpaghetti Wed 16-Sept-26 08:46:56

Is it new?

Greenfinch Wed 16-Sept-26 08:51:06

Yes I think it is because it is preceded at 10 pm by Andrew Davies looking back on his adaptation.

NotSpaghetti Wed 16-Sept-26 09:35:53

Thank you

Calendargirl Wed 16-Sept-26 09:39:34

No, think it’s the one with Juliet Aubrey and Rufus Sewell.

Not new.

MayBee70 Wed 16-Sept-26 09:47:33

I watched it on catchup recently. The good thing is I’d forgotten what actually happens so it was almost like watching it for the first time.

Greenfinch Wed 16-Sept-26 11:22:03

Oh yes, I see it was made in the nineties. Oh well…. Still may be worth watching. I can’t even remember the plot.

JamesandJon33 Wed 16-Sept-26 13:47:22

No it isn’t new ….but worth watching again .

MayBee70 Wed 16-Sept-26 20:03:49

JamesandJon33

No it isn’t new ….but worth watching again .

Really stands the test of time. Then again I still enjoy older ones like The Mayor of Casterbridge that do look dated.

Redrobin51 Wed 16-Sept-26 20:28:28

I really enjoyed it the first time I saw it, good actors.

JamesandJon33 Thu 17-Sept-26 08:28:55

We are just watching North and South with Richard Armitage. Couldn’t find it anywhere on streaming so bought the DVD

teaforone Thu 17-Sept-26 08:56:39

Thank you, Missed it last night but will iplayer it.

Visgir1 Thu 17-Sept-26 09:01:49

Never seen it, so might give it a go. I Like these type of programs.

MrsQuigley Thu 17-Sept-26 14:21:10

I watched North and South on U a while ago. It’s still on there, but good to have the DVD too!

GrannaKaye Sat 19-Sept-26 14:49:26

I watched it recently on Brit Box and it was so well done! As has been said, it really does stand the test of time. I am currently struggling through the book...such a good story and characters but Eliot's language is a bit ponderous at times... Any others here that have read it? Words of encouragement to stick with it???

GrannySomerset Sat 19-Sept-26 14:58:56

“Middlemarch” would be my desert island book because each time I read it, probably every other year since 1970s, I find something new. I love some of the minor characters too - Eliot does worthy but infuriating better than anyone but also genuinely comic too.

DrWatson Sat 19-Sept-26 16:19:34

It is indeed the Aubrey, Hodge, Sewell, Malahide, Hordern, Hardy etc version, according to IMDB it was released 1994.

It got generally good reviews, though several said it's best to read the book first -- however apparently that's 800 pages or so (??) which may put you off picking it up from the Library (if you can lift it?).

Several comments from folk who were familiar with Eliot pointed out that it's a mixture of novel and documentary, set about 1830 or so, but was written and published about 40 years later? Oh, and it was said that Judi Dench is the voice of the author, at some point?

The first episodes looked quite encouraging, so we'll probably stick with it.

MayBee70 Sat 19-Sept-26 16:19:37

GrannaKaye

I watched it recently on Brit Box and it was so well done! As has been said, it really does stand the test of time. I am currently struggling through the book...such a good story and characters but Eliot's language is a bit ponderous at times... Any others here that have read it? Words of encouragement to stick with it???

It’s mentioned in my Year of Reading Dangerously book. The author found it difficult to read about had to stick with and grew to love it. Hope that helps! I’ll try to dig out a quote from it ( I’m struggling to read my Year of Reading Dangerously book which is quite light hearted so I doubt if I’ll be attempting Middlemarch soon; I probably could have read it in my twenties when I did all the heavy stuff).

travelsafar Sat 19-Sept-26 18:16:38

Just fi ished this on iplayer bbc4. I loved it. Right up my street...i love a good period drama.😊

albertina Sat 19-Sept-26 18:59:52

This is one I have never seen so thank you for the recommendation. I love period dramas like this. When I watch the BBC's Pride and Prejudice I am amazed by the hard work that went into producing it.
I also love Colin Firth so that helps too.

M0nica Sat 19-Sept-26 20:34:54

JamesandJon33

We are just watching North and South with Richard Armitage. Couldn’t find it anywhere on streaming so bought the DVD

The best, true to book serialisation of North and South was in the 1970s with Patrick Stewart as Mr Thornton.

I managed to get a DVD of it. In some places the production values look a bit old fashioned, but I tried to watch the more recent version with the young handsome hero and totally devoid of the repressed passion that courses through the book and is in the earlier version. I managed one episode and bits of 2 more but then gave up.

hollysteers Sat 19-Sept-26 20:43:22

I watched the 1970s North and South recently on YouTube. Very good and YouTube has Classic British Telly with excellent plays etc. from yesteryear.