Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Little Bird - Sky Atlantic

(6 Posts)
Retread Wed 16-Sept-26 12:45:20

Has anyone else seen this? A powerful and interesting dramatised series about an adopted First Nation woman searching for her roots, having been raised in a Jewish family. Shockingly, the forced removals went on until the 1980s.

The main actress is excellent and the story engrossing, below is the programme intro:

Little Bird follows the story of Esther Rosenblum – a 20-year-old woman who, before she was adopted, was known by her real name: Bezhig Little Bird.

When she was just a child, she and her family were torn apart in what became known as the “Sixties Scoop”, a controversial Canadian child welfare movement that ran between the 1950s and 1980s, where thousands of First Nations children were taken from their families under the pretext of them being “neglected”.

The children were then put into the foster system to be adopted by mostly white, middle-class families. Born on the Long Pine Reserve in Saskatchewan, Bezhig had a loving family before she was forced into the targeted Indigenous transracial adoption program, the Adopt Indian Métis (AIM) Program.

Greenfinch Wed 16-Sept-26 14:33:01

When was/is this on please?

BlueBelle Wed 16-Sept-26 14:41:35

No I don’t have Sky it sounds interesting, although heart breaking
This happened also in Australia have you ever seen Rabbit Proof fence a fantastic film which has stayed in my heart since I saw it many years back, also Greenland the children were sent to Denmark and when returned had forgotten their native language and had nothing in common with their parents and families their ethnicity was removed from them
It’s totally wrong and makes me so cross that governments can do this to families and children I hope it never happens again

Retread Wed 16-Sept-26 19:31:46

It's currently showing (streamed) on Sky Atlantic, it's also on Now. Link below. I should have added that the storyline is her finding her siblings and reconnecting with her roots. It's very interesting.

Bird | Drama Series | Watch on Sky Atlantic and NOW ink{https://share.google/1ptM0INdKYEsc0Nt5\share.google/1ptM0INdKYEsc0Nt]]5}

I did see Rabbit Proof Fence, it really is heartbreaking. I really can't stand that "We know what's best for you" attitude that underpins these awful schemes.

Retread Wed 16-Sept-26 19:32:37

Apologies dud link. Will try again.

Retread Wed 16-Sept-26 19:33:51

www.sky.com/watch/little-bird/season-guide