Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

(32 Posts)
Tegan2 Wed 24-Jan-18 00:23:29

Nominated for several Oscars and well deserved. Not for the fainthearted, or people who don't like violence or swearing, but one of the most riveting films I've ever seen. Supposedly a murder mystery but is, in fact, a film about redemption.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 24-Jan-18 00:35:51

There's been quite a lot of controversy about the film, but I think Frances McDormand is a fantastic actress so we would probably see it anyway.

Tegan2 Wed 24-Jan-18 00:58:59

The soundtrack is amazing, too...

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 24-Jan-18 01:03:52

Is it songs or music composed for the film?

Tegan2 Wed 24-Jan-18 01:35:18

No; Monsters of Folk, Townes van Zandt, Joan Baez etc. But it was seamless and unobtrusive. So glad I knew nothing whatsoever about the film before I saw it, as I didn't know what to expect, and didn't realise it had already won several awards. Now need to watch Fargo and Seven Psychopaths. Last year was a rubbish one, film wise, but this year is going to be a corker. The Post, Lady Bird and The Shape of Water to come. Annoyingly, missed Molly's Game when it was on, though.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 24-Jan-18 01:50:01

You won't forget Fargo once you have watched it. It's got to be 20 years since I first saw it and I can still vividly picture one particular scene. wink

Pittcity Wed 24-Jan-18 07:46:08

Fargo is one of my favourite films of all time.

Tegan2 Wed 24-Jan-18 10:51:26

...I have just read a really bad review of TBOEM so I suppose you pays your money and all that. Even the score was criticised for not being memorable.

Creese Thu 01-Feb-18 18:51:35

3 Billboards is one of the best films I have seen for a long time. The soundtrack also one of the best.

GrandmaKT Thu 01-Feb-18 21:18:24

I was working away last week and the cinema across the road was showing 3 Billboards, which I'd heard was good but didn't really know anything about. I've never been to the cinema on my own, but went, and was so taken up in the story that I didn't even think about it. Highly recommended (so long as you can cope with the violence).

Tegan2 Thu 01-Feb-18 21:42:56

Annoyingly, we had to go to a really late showing as it was nearing the end of it's run, but, since then they've bought it back for another run with another one planned later. Can't wait to get a dvd of Fargo [the lady who works at the cinema also said it's one of her favourite films]. Just got back from seeing The Post, which I found quite tedious compared to 3 Billboards and Churchill. We thought we aught to see it given that it's Oscar nominated.

jamsidedown Thu 01-Feb-18 23:11:20

I thought Frances McDormand was brilliant, but found the “redemption “ a bit rushed and “Hollywood “ if you know what I mean, I loved the music as well. Wasn’t last year Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea? Both fantastic films. I thought Florida by the Sea a great film too.

Tegan2 Thu 01-Feb-18 23:54:14

I didn't see Moonlight [must check that one out]. I did love Manchester by the Sea and a couple of years back Nebraska was my film of the year.

jamsidedown Fri 02-Feb-18 23:25:28

Ooh yes, Tegan2 I loved Nebraska! Marjorie Prime with John Hamm was excellent earlier this year too.

Rosieroe Sat 03-Feb-18 00:09:31

Excellent film. Very reminiscent of Fargo. Held our attention for every second.

Eloethan Sat 03-Feb-18 01:11:08

I've been wanting to see this but am not sure now. I don't enjoy Coen Bros films and hated Fargo.

Rosieroe Sat 03-Feb-18 10:19:51

I would say try it Eloethan. How many times have you been disappointed at the cinema anyhow. This one is definitely not boring and has a very strong woman character for a change. It’s been a long time since DH and I went to the cinema and both really enjoyed the same film. Not for the faint-hearted or those offended by bad language.

Eloethan Sat 03-Feb-18 18:57:26

Yes, you're right Rosiroe - it's a bit silly of me to pre-judge.

gillybob Sat 03-Feb-18 19:11:51

I can’t wait to see this film, the trailer is brilliant.
Fargo is one of my all time favourite films .

Tegan2 Sun 04-Feb-18 11:53:12

A Man called Ove was my other film of the year last year.

gillybob Sun 04-Feb-18 12:44:15

Oh I agree with you there tegan I absolutely loved “A man called Ove” and cried buckets .

gillybob Sun 04-Feb-18 22:31:03

I watched Nebraska tonight Tegan thank you for the recommendation . I loved it . smile

Tegan2 Sun 04-Feb-18 23:06:13

There's something special about films which are about subjects that one would normally avoid [I go to the cinema to get away from problems!] but which make you laugh and cry in equal measure. Glad you liked it smile...

TerriBull Fri 09-Feb-18 11:57:48

Went to see it last night, wasn't expecting it to be my type of film, but thought it justified the hype. Very good, quite violent, funny at times in a dark sort of a way, excellent performances, yes can see a few Oscar winners among the cast.

GrannyEggy1 Fri 09-Feb-18 12:03:06

Fabulous film and Frances McDormand really deserves ,the Oscar as does Woody Harrelson for Best Supporting actor, but not sure if they'll get it. Haven't seen Nebraska but it's been highly recommended - don't know how I missed it.