Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Trial Of The Chicago 7 - Netflix

(10 Posts)
Jane43 Sun 18-Oct-20 22:33:24

This is an excellent courtroom drama about a group of Anti Vietnam War protesters who were charged in 1969 with conspiracy to incite a riot at the Democratic convention in Chicago in 1968. The cast is very strong with a stand out performance from Mark Rylance. It also stars Eddie Redmayne, Sacha Baron Cohen and Michael Keaton.

rosecarmel Sun 18-Oct-20 23:54:37

I just finished watching it and agree it was excellent- Casting and performance are awesome- ?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 19-Oct-20 06:07:53

Thanks for that. I keep hovering over it wondering. Didn’t realise that Rylance was in it. One of our best actors I think.
Will definitely watch.

FannyCornforth Mon 19-Oct-20 08:02:31

What a cast!
Will watch today.
I love SBC. I thought he was mesmerising in Les Mis.
He was originally cast as Freddie Mercury in the Queen film, but he and Brian May fell out.
I would have loved to have seen Baron Cohen as Mercury.
(As an aside, his brother is the UK's leading authority on Autism.
I digress - Sorry!)
Thanks for the recommendation.

Jane43 Mon 19-Oct-20 16:09:59

Yes Mark Rylance is a great and versatile actor, I watched Bridge Of Spies recently and he was amazing in that too. There are other very good actors in the cast whose names I didn’t recognise.

I didn’t know that SBC was in the running for the Freddie Mercury role, I would have thought he was too big, Freddie was very slight. Yes he was very good in Les Mis, he's come a long way since Ali G.

People are very critical of Netflix but this film alone is worth a few months’ subscription.

avitorl Mon 19-Oct-20 16:13:33

I'm new to Netflix so appreciate any suggestions as to what to watch. Thank you.

Jane43 Mon 19-Oct-20 17:19:01

avitorl

I'm new to Netflix so appreciate any suggestions as to what to watch. Thank you.

This comment will probably get lost because it is at the end of a thread about a Netflix film. I would advise you to start a new thread with your question as the subject. If you gave an indication of what you like to watch it would help eg documentaries, films, series, true crime etc. Also if you look back at the ‘What are you watching tonight?’ thread you, will probably find comments on Netflix programmes.

Bakingmad0203 Tue 20-Oct-20 11:35:30

I watched this last night. I really enjoyed it though I found some of the conversations difficult to follow as they were talking so fast!
Thank you Jane43 for recommending it. It’s not something I would normally watch, but I’m glad I did. Sometimes I research the background when I watch or read something based on real life, to get an idea of the history and the characters involved, which makes it even more interesting.

Jane43 Tue 20-Oct-20 21:27:06

I’m glad those of you who watched it enjoyed it. I have been a big admirer of Mark Rylance ever since Wolf Hall and always watch anything he is in. There were other very good performances as well and I was surprised that Michael Keaton had such a minor part but he was very good. Apart from the assassination of Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy the subject matter was new to me and I will probably read more about it.

Barkingmad0203 you can switch the subtitles on on Most Netflix Programmes, I have to use the function a lot, especially with American programmes.

Doodledog Tue 20-Oct-20 21:42:11

I'm another who watched it after reading this thread. I really enjoyed it, too.

Thanks for the recommendation.