Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

BBC to make drama about Jimmy Savile's life:

(43 Posts)
Spangler Tue 20-Oct-20 09:20:23

After his death in 2011, an ITV documentary investigated claims of sexual abuse against him, leading to further allegations of abuse and a string of public inquiries.

These found that the broadcaster had leveraged his involvement in organisations such charities, hospitals, prisons and the BBC to prey on hundreds of people - mostly vulnerable young females.

BBC drama controller Piers Wenger said the new drama did "not intend to sensationalise these crimes" but "to give voice to his victims".

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54542956

The media's argument is always that the public have a right to know, really? What's the betting that there will be no mention of the BBC's involvement of the witch hunt against Sir Cliff Richard.

suziewoozie Tue 20-Oct-20 09:46:07

Hummm not sure how I feel about this. I won’t watch it, I’m not going to watch the Shipman one either. Dramatisations of real life events are always tricky - there was Honour recently. I watched the one about the Irish dentist and then found out afterwards that the family hadn’t wanted it to go ahead so I felt that was wrong. The Hillsborough one was very moving and focused on the family whose two daughters died. I suppose my main issue is how survivors/victims/families feel about the drama . And once it’s been on, many people will believe that that is the truth regardless of any dramatic licence that may have been taken. Tricky - an interesting issue. I’d like to hear the views of others.

Galaxy Tue 20-Oct-20 09:52:24

I think there is an issue about how his victims feel but I think it's very important to discuss this and why/how it happened. I think it should be made by an independent production team the BBC were involved in this issue.

Jane10 Tue 20-Oct-20 10:10:34

The Shipman documentary series was very good. Well researched and looking at the situation from different and interesting angles.
Will the Saville programme be a documentary or a drama?

suziewoozie Tue 20-Oct-20 10:11:03

Good point Galaxy I wonder who is making it? But I still think making a drama out of it will compromise the truth.

Spangler Tue 20-Oct-20 10:11:33

Galaxy Tue 20-Oct-20 09:52:24
I think it should be made by an independent production team the BBC were involved in this issue.

Good point, Galaxy, it was an ITV research team that did the investigation that led to the discovery of Savile's past. An independent team could expand such a program and include others, such as Stuart Hall and Rolf Harris.

It's too early to say, but was there some sort of collusion by the BBC when Savile worked there? Now they want to gloss over their involvement. That's just my speculation, but as Galaxy says, and independent team has no agenda, unlike the BBC.

suziewoozie Tue 20-Oct-20 10:12:37

* Jane* I got that wrong - I thought it was a drama. The JS is a drama I think

Oldwoman70 Tue 20-Oct-20 10:27:43

I would have no problem with a documentary as that would (should) be airing verified facts. A drama would contain some dramatic licence and could be seen as entertainment - something I completely disagree with.

Jane10 Tue 20-Oct-20 10:52:33

I agree Oldwoman it shouldn't be a drama. Lots to include in a documentary though. So much to include it would need a series.
A drama would be distasteful.

Septimia Tue 20-Oct-20 11:12:56

Drama? No. Too recent, too painful. Give it a hundred years or so.

Documentary? Perhaps. But only if it's honest.

Hetty58 Tue 20-Oct-20 11:16:11

I won't be watching it - as I don't want that flesh-crawling feeling!

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 20-Oct-20 11:20:36

Don't think I could watch it - I was never a fan, but didn't realise quite how vile he was

Sparklefizz Tue 20-Oct-20 11:27:30

I don't think I could watch it.

Chewbacca Tue 20-Oct-20 11:28:42

I won't be watching it - as I don't want that flesh-crawling feeling

I agree; couldn't bear to look at him when he was on tv. There was something about him, long before his activities became public knowledge, that made my skin crawl.

25Avalon Tue 20-Oct-20 11:32:50

Get bad vibes just thinking about him. I won’t watch but maybe it’s a story that needs to be told.

CherryCezzy Tue 20-Oct-20 11:41:40

I think a drama is/would be in bad taste, like *feeding off" the very very many real life victims.

There was something about him ... that made my skin crawl

Snap Chewbacca.

sodapop Tue 20-Oct-20 12:37:52

I feel annoyed that the BBC are making money out of this when they were a big part of the problem.

annodomini Tue 20-Oct-20 13:43:13

It's a terrible idea, the worst of bad taste. I assume it's a production company that developed it and pitched it to the BBC who decided that they'd better grab it or it would go to ITV, Sky or a cable channel.

PollyDolly Tue 20-Oct-20 13:51:26

Extremely bad taste in any format, either drama or documentary. I didn't like him at all when he was alive, in the spotlight and supposedly raising money for Stoke Mandeville Hospital. I always found him sleazy and creepy!

dragonfly46 Tue 20-Oct-20 13:58:10

He lived local to us when I was growing up and used to take the children from the local children's home to Scarborough ever year. I could not watch any sort of programme about him although it is perhaps sad for the victims to be forgotten.

SueDonim Tue 20-Oct-20 14:01:19

Yuk. I can’t imagine any actor wanting to play the role of Saville.

GillT57 Tue 20-Oct-20 14:26:24

A documentary is one thing, but a drama.....who on earth would want to be cast as the creepy Savile? Bit of a career killer I would think.

Oopsadaisy4 Tue 20-Oct-20 14:33:11

The problem with a Drama is that they change events to make it more ‘watchable‘, so they can and probably will ignore the BBCs involvement.
I wouldn’t watch it anyway, because i couldn’t stand him, but a Documentary would be better.
They dramatised the story of Hughie Green a couple of years ago and I don’t know how much of it was fact or fiction, but he was ( on this programme) an absolute horror, but was it true or artistic licence?

Daddima Tue 20-Oct-20 14:33:16

Louis Theroux made an excellent programme about him, and I’ve read where he wondered if he could have done more.
He interviewed his assistant who said she refused to believe any of the allegations.

Chewbacca Tue 20-Oct-20 14:40:17

Oh no, that's a good point SueDonim; a horrible role to have to take on. <<shudder>>