Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Grace

(53 Posts)
chelseababy Mon 08-Mar-21 17:34:09

Detective set in Brighton based on books by Peter James, starting 14 March 8pm ITV. I like the books but John Simm is not my idea of Grace.

Truffle1 Mon 08-Mar-21 17:55:40

I am definitely going to watch though I tend to agree with you about John Simm. I have read all the books and that always confuses my brain when it comes to casting!

Jaxjacky Mon 08-Mar-21 18:25:52

Love the books, it’ll have to be recorded, conflicts with the last Bloodlands next weekend, Line of Duty subsequently.

TerriBull Mon 08-Mar-21 18:43:51

I've read the books, some are really good, some not so. Peter James writes short sharp chapters and the narrative moves quickly so they never fall into a lull, plus some very nasty villains. Many of the earlier books had the disappearance of his wife and the son he never knew as a riveting sub plot. Remember wanting to get to the bottom of that conundrum, he did string that out through most of the earlier books. Not sure what I think about the casting of John Sim although I've always thought of him as a good actor, just not sure if he fits in with my idea of Roy Grace. Wondering who will play Cleo. I will definitely tune in.

Ngaio1 Mon 08-Mar-21 18:46:19

I (along with Camilla!) am a Peter James fan. Not sure about the casting as i cannot recall seeing John Sim in anything, Looking forward to Sunday, though.

JessK Tue 09-Mar-21 09:55:30

I've read quite a few Peter James books and really enjoy them. I've also seen a few transferred to the stage which were very well done and the actors who played Grace did the character justice including Shane Richie. From what I've seen of the trailer John Sim seems to have gone away from the book with Grace and made him more angry and unlikeable. I do wonder how closely Peter James was to the production choices?

sodapop Tue 09-Mar-21 17:44:37

Sorry I didn't see this and started another thread. I agree about the casting entirely.
I've read all the books to date and have to agree with Terribull some are definitely pot boilers. I do enjoy reading series of books with a thread running through them.

Maggiemaybe Tue 09-Mar-21 19:11:55

Well I saw the preview clip and immediately thought I wouldn't like it (black arts were mentioned and anything referencing the supernatural turns me right off). Then I realised what it was advertising. I've enjoyed the Roy Grace books so will have to give it a try. I might be bucking the trend, but John Simm isn't actually too far removed from how I imagine Grace.

Iam64 Tue 09-Mar-21 20:31:51

I don’t see John Simm as Grace either.
I still struggle with Titus ? As Harry Bosch. He isn’t the Harry I’ve manufactured when reading the books.
JoHe Thaw was brilliant as Morse though.

muse Sat 13-Mar-21 21:11:40

Not read the books but love crime fiction.

I watch anything with John Simm in. Excellent actor. Saw him live at The Crucible, Sheffield as Hamlet.

Quote from Brighton news: Peter has now seen the first two episodes – and couldn’t be more thrilled with the results: “I now think of John Simm when I am writing,” says Peter whose 17th Roy Grace novel Left You Dead comes out in hardback on May 13.

“And that is no hardship. John Simm is great. He is a fantastic Roy Grace. He is very human and has got a kind of warmth about him and a quiet dignity, and he looks very similar to how I originally imagined Roy Grace looking.

Looks like there's going to be more than 2 episodes smile

It's going to clash with Line of Duty the following Sunday. iPlayer to the rescue.

Cherrytree59 Sun 14-Mar-21 21:55:09

What's with all the green?
Green suits including the bride to be.
Green tiles and decor.

BlueBelle Sun 14-Mar-21 21:57:44

What a load of dodah

Gwyneth Sun 14-Mar-21 22:00:24

I like John Simm and thought he was just I imagined Roy Grace to be from the books. Hope ITV do some more.

rubysong Sun 14-Mar-21 23:32:14

It was too grisly for my taste.

BlueBelle Mon 15-Mar-21 06:02:03

Well I thought it was totally ridiculous everything solved by one man with no backup It was very grizzly and the last scene on the boat with the woman was almost a farce 60 minutes if sheer rubbish

seacliff Mon 15-Mar-21 06:42:20

I enjoyed it.

BigBertha1 Mon 15-Mar-21 06:48:51

I enjoyed it and managed to stay awake and watch it all which is rare for me.

sodapop Mon 15-Mar-21 08:57:55

I still feel the Grace character was not portrayed as per the books, or not as I imagined. It was enjoyable but not great TV.

Amberone Mon 15-Mar-21 09:07:32

I watched it and it was okay - didn't love it, didn't dislike it. I've never read the books so had no preconceived notions. I did hate the coffin bit - I am very claustrophobic and it made me feel quite ill. I'll wait for the next couple and see if they play themselves into their parts.

Rosiebee Mon 15-Mar-21 09:30:49

Probably takes a time of two for a character to "bed in ". We recently watched the first one of Morse ...... I've only just started reading the Grace books and will have to watch the programme again as I spent too much time comparing it to the book. Look forward to seeing the next one though.

ninathenana Mon 15-Mar-21 09:47:15

I've not read any of the books.
I quiet enjoyed it but agree with Bluebelle ridiculous that he could solve it solo. Also think that things happened to quickly as they squeezed it into one episode

Nannylovesshopping Mon 15-Mar-21 12:30:06

I’ve read all the books, was looking forward to this, oh dear, life is full of disappointments, nowhere near as good as the books, wonder what Peter James thought?

Calendargirl Mon 15-Mar-21 12:44:18

Have never read any of the books, so no pre-conceived ideas of what characters should be like.

It seems trendy for many of these rather troubled cops to have very bossy female superiors.

I’m thinking of Lewis, that one where Sarah Parrish was a murdering senior detective, the recent Bloodlands before James Nesbitt had her moved on, and The Bodyguard also.

Perhaps a future acting career beckons for Cressida Dick if she is forced to resign.

sodapop Mon 15-Mar-21 12:55:47

muse posted earlier that Peter James was pleased with the character etc Nannylovesshopping.

grin love it Calendargirl a new career for Cressida Dick.

BlueBelle Mon 15-Mar-21 13:15:29

A man is buried alive in two or three different places A thumb is cut off ....another man flies over a balcony to his death , a man with learning difficulties is killed, another is stabbed to death by his lover and the detective goes off on his own to solve it all in 60 minutes
It may well have been a decent story to follow over 4 or 6 episodes I just found it farcical way too much fitted into one programme