Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Panorama Let's Talk About Race

(13 Posts)
Shandy57 Mon 08-Mar-21 20:43:31

I've just watched this - anyone else see it?

EllanVannin Mon 08-Mar-21 21:05:22

Nope.

Iam64 Mon 08-Mar-21 21:10:55

No - was it interesting?

Blossoming Mon 08-Mar-21 21:27:03

Appalling, but not unfortunately surprising. Things don’t seem to have moved on at all. So sorry for those families.

Shandy57 Mon 08-Mar-21 22:21:09

Wasn't it absolutely unbelievably awful, I'm surprised it was transmitted.

Aveline Mon 08-Mar-21 22:40:38

DS said one of his friends was on it. The BBC had interviewed her for hours then asked if they could use the section when she cried. I meant to watch it but have gone off Panorama as it seems to funnel the viewer to their particular viewpoint.
Was it any good? Should I look for it on I-player?

Eloethan Tue 09-Mar-21 00:54:24

I'd forgotten it was on and missed about the first 10 minutes or so. No doubt those who think there is no issue with race discrimination in this country avoided watching it.

I thought it was fairly well balanced and didn't just "funnel the viewer to their [Panorama's] point of view". However, it confirmed what I already believe - although things are much better than they were in the 60's and 70's there is still a lot of underlying racism.

Shandy57 Tue 09-Mar-21 12:09:42

I do miss multi cultural society, I loved living in London, and wish I'd had the money to return. I have now lived in Northumberland for twenty years, which was featured in the programme. I worked in Fulham in the mid 80's at an organisation called the Colebrook Social, Cultural and Welfare Society, I was the only white teacher. It was an all female business course, and the dislike amongst between the students from different islands really shocked me - we had more than one ugly fight during my time there, with earrings pulled through ears. When I married in the Seychelles in 1987 I came across it again, the local children were allowed into the swimming pool in order of lightness of their complexion.

Eloethan Tue 09-Mar-21 17:31:49

So what are you trying to say Shandy?

GagaJo Tue 09-Mar-21 18:40:21

Shandy, there is a multicultural area of Newcastle, Fenham. I used to live there. I loved it. The park at the weekend or on a warm evening was a joy to behold. Lots of families of different ethnicities. It's a VERY small area though.

Galaxy Tue 09-Mar-21 18:45:04

Was there this morning Gagajo. smile.

bmacca Tue 09-Mar-21 19:02:25

This was an interesting programme so glad it was brought to my attention as I’m currently avoiding watching the tv. I thought the presenter’s comments as she reflected on her own experience were quite sad. In fact the whole programme made me sad, because there is still such levels of racism

Shandy57 Tue 09-Mar-21 21:01:54

I don't know what I'm trying to say really Eloethan, I need to do some serious reading about the history of the British Empire.