Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Ten years younger

(19 Posts)
overthehill Sat 19-Jun-21 23:12:15

What do you think?
Very mixed I feel. Some look great others, especially when it comes to makeup have bright red lipstick which I think only suits young women.
Just seen Mike who has his beard shaved off and a hair piece on and he does look so much better.
Cherry Healy does my brain in with her over the top reaction every week.

Doodledog Sat 19-Jun-21 23:16:57

I saw the clip of the Mike one on Gogglebox, but haven't seen the programme.

I thought he looked like Dale Winton in the 'after' shots ?.

He was a good looking guy (apart from the teeth), and if they'd concentrated on those, shaved his hair and boosted his confidence he would have looked a lot better, I thought. I couldn't believe the amount of work he had done on his teeth in two hours, but they looked so much better.

I don't know how he would keep up with wearing the wig, or if he's be able to laugh off the inevitable comments from friends and colleagues, as he was so self-conscious.

Eloethan Sat 19-Jun-21 23:19:08

I watched the first couple of programmes and then came to the conclusion that it is just a massive marketing exercise for businesses providing cosmetic surgery, dentistry, hairdressing and styling advice. I can quite understand people wanting to sort their teeth out if they are in a terrible state but some of the other stuff I find very over the top.

There was a woman who had two or three children with autism who was at her wit's end. I am sure the makeover must have given her a temporary boost but what she really needed was more support. She looked very nice after the makeover but I did wonder how she would be able to keep it all up with so many other responsibilities and demands to attend to.

Kate1949 Sun 20-Jun-21 09:53:13

I wouldn't imagine it was a wig but a hair system like mine which is very different to a wig.

Deedaa Sun 20-Jun-21 10:01:35

The thing that always makes the biggest difference is a decent hair cut, it can take years off without doing anything else.
The stylist they use seems to put together some very strange outfits.

foxie48 Sun 20-Jun-21 10:04:43

I've been watching on catch up and tbh have enjoyed the programmes but recognise that some of the treatments are way out of many people's budgets. The clothes are generally inexpensive though not always to my taste. It's pretty harmless and so far everyone has looked better and been happy, so what's not to like?

Nonogran Sun 20-Jun-21 10:06:41

I found this series a total “turn off” & some of the fashion ideas in my opinion were rubbish too.
Cherry Healy also annoys me with her over the top enthusiasm.
I have enjoyed previous series with different fashion adviser & presenter but I don’t watch it now.

Baggs Sun 20-Jun-21 10:11:42

Isn't this a kind of body-shaming (or maybe face-shaming), making people unsatisfied with their natural look?

foxie48 Sun 20-Jun-21 12:27:14

Baggs

Isn't this a kind of body-shaming (or maybe face-shaming), making people unsatisfied with their natural look?

The people who go on it are already very unhappy with their natural looks and seem to go away feeling better about themselves. tbh I've never heard any "shaming" comments, lots of positive comments though and never any suggestions about losing weight, the people taking part seem very willing to talk about what they don't like about themselves, the part that bothers me is the bit about who old they look to the public initially but that's what they sign up for. This is a programme that's not to everyone's taste, like pretty much most things on TV.

Happygirl79 Sun 20-Jun-21 12:46:59

I have enjoyed seeing the happiness in the faces of the people when they see the difference good teeth and hairstyle can make. However I can't understand why the fashion stylist insists on dressing them in evening wear i. e. Sequins. Sky high heels etc when these people need advice to look better in day wear to keep their confidence high and don't get the help they obviously need

Happygirl79 Sun 20-Jun-21 12:48:51

Plus can anyone tell me why the fashion stylist never takes her coat off?
I always feel its a lack of confidence on her part but may well be wrong

Millie22 Sun 20-Jun-21 12:54:02

I think it's one of these new fangled shacket things so not strictly a coat. She wears some strange clothes.

Happygirl79 Sun 20-Jun-21 15:18:38

Thanks @Millie22
Im afraid I don't share her taste in clothing.
In my opinion the fashion stylist let's down the rest of the team completely
She could be making a huge difference to the people's everyday lives by giving them a workable basic capsule wardrobe but instead makes them look like disco divas in the wrong era! The programme would work so much better if they concentrated on the actual lifestyle of the people and complimented it with suitable clothing

Janiepops Sun 20-Jun-21 16:09:36

All the ones I watched were utterly dreadful! The hairstyles are a complete joke surely?Makeup is thick,caked,repulsive.
The clothes, oh my goodness, all horrendous and made participants look like overdressed exhibitionists, a proper freak show , haven’t watched the last two.

Sparkling Sun 20-Jun-21 16:25:54

The stylist looks a fright and I don’t think she does a good job at all. A simple capsule wardrobe would be more realistic The teeth and hair really makes such a difference but beyond most people’s budget. I find the standing in public humiliating but they sign up to it to get on the show. They all seem happy, but the silly heels the women totter in on, they would go in the bin, the sequins and satin, would follow. As much as I would like a makeover but wouldn’t have the nerve to go on. Cherry Healy is so false it’s embarrassing.

foxie48 Sun 20-Jun-21 17:04:16

It's an entertainment show. Boring but practical hairstyles and very subtle makeup just wouldn't give the desired "Wow what a difference!" effect and much as I'm sure they would love a basic work capsule, how watchable would that be by the third episode? It's a bit of fun with willing volunteers and some end up with expensive teeth and a decent hair cut.

Happygirl79 Sun 20-Jun-21 21:00:13

I see your point @foxie 48

MayBee70 Sun 20-Jun-21 21:19:49

What amazes me is how seemingly intelligent people with good jobs let their teeth get into such a bad way. Not that my teeth aren’t awful but that was from being a child from the fifties when we lived on toffees and dentists had a policy of drill and fill.

MayBee70 Mon 21-Jun-21 01:41:04

Well Mike was going to have a hair transplant I think so he’ll have to stop having the hair system won’t he. And I don’t understand how you can have hair extensions if you have female pattern hair loss as your hair tends to fall out. What do they attach it to? I’d love to see if the minoxidil works for her. But how do you rub that into your scalp if you have extensions? I must admit to being slightly addicted to these sort of programmes. But no way would I let someone style me that wears clothes that I wouldn’t be seen dead in.