Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

All creatures great and small.

(59 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 18-Sep-21 09:42:53

I watched the new series last night on catch up, everything i thought it would be, humour, and nostalgic with an easy story line. This kind of program leaves me with a nice warm feeling inside.

Aveline Sat 18-Sep-21 09:50:35

This programme is done so well. I've got it recorded as a treat for later. Full marks to all concerned.

helgawills Sat 18-Sep-21 10:51:17

Real feelgood programme, loved it. Visited the Practice at Thirsk during our visit to Yorkshire in June.

ginny Sat 18-Sep-21 10:56:36

I love it too.

Kittye Sat 18-Sep-21 11:32:59

Loving all the characters except James for some reason. Much preferred the Christopher Timothy version.

aggie Sat 18-Sep-21 11:48:24

James was ok , but in some shots he seemed to have lipstick on ?

Jaberwok Sat 18-Sep-21 13:26:14

Have given it another try but its no good I don't like it at all, but then I was addicted to the Robert Hardy, Christopher Timothy version. Mrs Hall is far too young, and the other characters just don't ring true. Won't be watching it again.

Boz Sat 18-Sep-21 13:33:09

Much better than the old version, which was good but seems dated now. The new James Herriot is believable unlike the suave Christopher Timothy with the wrong accent for a Scot!
Helen seems real not a "bisto" mum like all the other characterisations in the past.
The script is well-written and the scenery shots wonderful.

A 5 star hit.

Grandmajean Sat 18-Sep-21 14:27:25

Love it. Streets ahead of the earlier one. Thought Robert Hardy was way over the top. Think all the actors are excellent but Helen is a bit annoying. I think James is "nicer" than she and he could do better. Talking about fictitious people here.

Callistemon Sat 18-Sep-21 14:47:50

I like the new James but do find Tristan annoying rather than endearing like Peter Davison.

Jaberwok Sat 18-Sep-21 15:20:45

They're not fictitious. They are reflections of real people that Herriot aka James Alfred Wight worked with and met during his long career, albeit with pseudonyms. The old Creatures wasn't dated at all as it was supposed to be during the 1930's, just before the war when James first qualified, and the 1950's as the books described, and it absolutely reflected that era. The new Tristan is just ridiculous along with Mrs Hall .

Floriel Thu 23-Sep-21 21:48:04

Veering topic slightly, does anymore else LOVE Siegfried’s house? So solid and cosy, soft lamps and comfortable chairs. No grey walls and industrial kitchens, no gyms and wet rooms and block paving (showing my pet peeves here I know)

Callistemon Thu 23-Sep-21 22:08:41

They're not fictitious. They are reflections of real people that Herriot aka James Alfred Wight worked with and met during his long career, albeit with pseudonyms

In my post above yours is a photo of Peter Davison with the real-life 'Tristan' aka Brian Sinclair.

Scones Thu 23-Sep-21 22:11:48

I can't watch it. I miss the old curmudgeonly farmers, the commanding, pompous and self-assured Siegfried, Mrs Hall being an actual housekeeper rather than the matriarch, Helen being likable rather than scratchy and uptight and James having some joy in him. Tris seems the only believable character to me.

I also find it horribly wooden...people march purposefully into the scene, say their piece in a theatrical way and then leave woodenly again. But then I think the same of Downton Abbey which I also find unbearable but millions see to adore. Both seem designed and acted for children to me.

The only character I do like is Siegfried's house so I'm with you on that Floriel.

BigBertha1 Thu 23-Sep-21 22:21:22

I loved the original version and lived in the area. I also worked for Heriot Hospice at home. The original version is truer to the text I feel. I am watching the new version for the views and complaining about the narrative especially about the housekeeper.

Callistemon Thu 23-Sep-21 22:46:42

We like watching The Yorkshire Vet

Redhead56 Fri 24-Sep-21 00:41:29

I loved the original with Robert Hardy I like this too. It's good tv far better than rubbish soaps that snap up awards each year! The Yorkshire vet also a family favourite real life thats worth watching.

Rosina Fri 24-Sep-21 08:03:31

I first read the books in the early seventies - I was captivated by the gentle and humerous tales. The first, older series was excellent and this new one is enjoyable but strays far from the original story. All the busines about Helen's cancelled wedding and so on - it didn't happen in James Herriot's books. However, it is a warm and comforting progamme for a grey and chilly evening. We also visited Thirsk and the original Skeldale House, now the Herriot museum.

JackyB Fri 24-Sep-21 08:27:16

I haven't seen it as of course it's not available here in Germany but I agree, the old version can't be "dated" - it depicts the 30s and is probably more accurate than the new version because there will have been people involved who actually remember those days. Only conjecture - I will be happy to be proved wrong. But keep a lookout for the language. I bet there are some modernisms in there.

Grandma70s Fri 24-Sep-21 08:38:33

I love it. I didn’t follow the old one very closely, so I’m not constantly comparing, I have read the books, but not for years. The casting seems quite convincing to me.

Samuel West, who plays Siegfried, is the son of Prunella Scales and Timothy West. I can see both of them in him.

Do we ever learn why the lead characters are called after Wagner operas? Siegfried and Tristan aren’t exactly everyday British names.

Littleannie Fri 24-Sep-21 08:46:41

The original series is on Britbox.

Juliet27 Fri 24-Sep-21 08:53:44

I was at a vintage car rally recently and the car from the original series was there.

Forsythia Fri 24-Sep-21 09:00:31

I loved series 1 and am happily into series 2. I did watch the original years ago, but I like this remake too. I think it is well acted and the main characters are doing fine with their own interpretation of it. It’s wonderful mid week easy watching. I hope it continues for a good few years yet.

Callistemon Fri 24-Sep-21 11:06:11

Do we ever learn why the lead characters are called after Wagner operas? Siegfried and Tristan aren’t exactly everyday British names.

They're the names James Herriott picked - perhaps he liked opera?

James Herriott was Alf Wight and was Scottish
Siegfried Farnon - Donald Sinclair
Tristan Farnon - Brian Sinclair
Helen Herriott - Joan

Jaberwok Fri 24-Sep-21 11:08:13

Oh yes, The Yorkshire Vet is lovely, both Peter and Julian make references to 'James Herriot', particularly Peter who was a 'Herriot' trainee. Sam West has indeed got very talented and famous parents and is a good actor in his own right, but not, for me, as Siegfried.