Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Succession on sky

(17 Posts)
Namsnanny Tue 19-Oct-21 13:10:30

Does anyone watch this?
American tv at it's best. Sharp witty and OTT.
As opposite to Mdm le Blanc mysteries, as you can get.
But just as enjoyable.
Vive la difference.?

Namsnanny Tue 19-Oct-21 13:11:22

Oh written by Jessie Armstrong who I believe is British.

Parsley3 Tue 19-Oct-21 14:35:32

I enjoyed the first two series of Succession and some of it was filmed in Dundee. I am looking forward to the third series.

grannydarkhair Tue 19-Oct-21 14:50:25

Brian Cox is a Dundonian, has family living here.

Namsnanny Tue 19-Oct-21 15:07:30

I confess to finding the dialogue easier with sub titles (which is normal for me anyway), but I did watch the new episode without and didnt miss anything.

I couldn't imagine anyone else playing the part of Logan Roy, other than the wonderful Brian Cox.
In fact all are so perfectly cast for their characters.

It cant go on after this series though, can it? It would just be more of the same.

Susie345 Wed 20-Oct-21 05:04:14

This is so well written with great characters. Going to let it build up so I can binge watch it.

BigBertha1 Wed 20-Oct-21 07:56:31

Longing for this to be available on another provider. DH has a bee in his bonnet about SKY so we don't have it.

highlanddreams Wed 20-Oct-21 19:32:28

BigBertha1

Longing for this to be available on another provider. DH has a bee in his bonnet about SKY so we don't have it.

same here watched the first 2 on Sky and then DH suddenly decided sky was the spawn of Satan and cancelled them

Namsnanny Wed 20-Oct-21 19:47:09

highlanddreams

BigBertha1

same here watched the first 2 on Sky and then DH suddenly decided sky was the spawn of Satan and cancelled them

Spawn of Satan grin grin grin As I thought the same as your husband, this made me laugh.

seacliff Wed 20-Oct-21 21:46:16

I am obviously the odd one out, I have given up watching this after 4 episodes. There is so much continual swearing and crass sexual remarks, quite off putting. I found the characters very unappealing too. Not for me.

MayBee70 Wed 20-Oct-21 22:00:42

BigBertha1

I think you can buy it on dvd. At least, I hope so. I do want to see it.

Namsnanny Wed 20-Oct-21 23:13:30

seacliff

I am obviously the odd one out, I have given up watching this after 4 episodes. There is so much continual swearing and crass sexual remarks, quite off putting. I found the characters very unappealing too. Not for me.

All of that is true, and yes the characters display poor traits. But I like the way they gradually reveal their anxiety.
Which is why they are so hyper nasty in the first place.
I particularly like Greg 'the egg'

highlanddreams Thu 21-Oct-21 10:28:20

Namsnanny

seacliff

All of that is true, and yes the characters display poor traits. But I like the way they gradually reveal their anxiety.
Which is why they are so hyper nasty in the first place.
I particularly like Greg 'the egg'

Gregg the Egg is my favourite, but I also like Tom even though he's a crawling & oily conniving toad of a man. He'll always be an outsider in that family & yet he's still so desperate to belong. I wonder if they'll turn him around eventually and make him see the light and act accordingly.I hope Gregg comes out on top in the end though. Logan reminds me of a gruffer JR type character as he'll stop at nothing to win and is always a step ahead

I don't think you're meant to like these people on the whole because they are all so awful, why would you like them? But in order to enjoy watching the story unfold you need to find something likeable in at least one of them or you soon lose interest & won't care what happens.

Namsnanny Thu 21-Oct-21 15:25:33

Yes i agree with your post. Especially the last paragraph and the comments about Tom (Macfadden) .He's Like a bouncy puppy but with sharp teeth.
Towards the end of the second series he was sat on the beach with Shiv telling her off.
He's definitely on the cusp of change!

Just remembering when Matthew Macfadden played Mr Darcy in Pride and Prejudice, they couldn't be more different characters.
Well done him.

The casting for this series is so spot on.
I couldnt replace anyone.

I'm glad your enjoying it too highlanddreans. I take it from your user name, that you love Scotland (I couldnt disagree)? Is seeing Brian Cox at his best adding to your enjoyment of the program?smile

highlanddreams Thu 21-Oct-21 19:00:33

Namsnanny

Yes i agree with your post. Especially the last paragraph and the comments about Tom (Macfadden) .He's Like a bouncy puppy but with sharp teeth.
Towards the end of the second series he was sat on the beach with Shiv telling her off.
He's definitely on the cusp of change!

Just remembering when Matthew Macfadden played Mr Darcy in Pride and Prejudice, they couldn't be more different characters.
Well done him.

The casting for this series is so spot on.
I couldnt replace anyone.

I'm glad your enjoying it too highlanddreans. I take it from your user name, that you love Scotland (I couldnt disagree)? Is seeing Brian Cox at his best adding to your enjoyment of the program?smile

hahaha! I love that about Tom Namsnanny you've summed him up perfectly!
I agree about the casting being totally spot on I wouldn't replace anyone either .
I do love Scotland and while I've never been a huge fan of Brian Cox , I am really liking him in this,I also liked him in The Straits but that only ran for one season which is a shame as it really had potential.

One episode of last season I really enjoyed was when they went to Dundee and Kendall did that rap, he was amazing and their reactions were priceless!

Namsnanny Fri 07-Jan-22 17:40:31

I've only just finished series 3 and I wondered if parsley3 suzie345 and Highlanddream or anyone else had enjoyed it too?

I see there is a 4th series in the pipeline, which I thought wasnt possible. But they reeled me in again, especially with the last episode. So I'll be counting down the days for the next one.
It will be around 2 years in the making I suppose.

Jane43 Sun 09-Jan-22 12:06:30

MayBee70

BigBertha1

I think you can buy it on dvd. At least, I hope so. I do want to see it.

It is on Now tv, although it is from Sky your DH may not object to having Now tv. You can get a free trial and if you cancel at the end of it they will offer you a subscription at a much lower price, I currently pay £4.99 a month for the Entertainment package which Succession is on. It’s much cheaper than buying a box set.