Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Belfast

(65 Posts)
Jane43 Mon 24-Jan-22 18:05:18

I went to see this film with a friend this afternoon. It was produced by Kenneth Branagh and is set in 1969 and semi-autobiographical. It has a very strong cast with Jamie Dornan, Judi Dench and Ciaran Hinds but a newcomer, a little boy called Jude Hill, steals every scene he is in. We both enjoyed it very much including the music by Van Morrison and a great performance of Everlasting Love by Jamie Dornan.

TerriBull Mon 24-Jan-22 18:07:58

The reviews I've read all say it's wonderful, I'd like to see it, great cast, plus music from Van Morrison sounds like my type of film.

Sarnia Tue 25-Jan-22 08:55:49

My grandson and I saw this at the weekend. Excellent film and must surely be shortlisted for awards.

nadateturbe Tue 25-Jan-22 09:16:13

Kenneth Branagh is so talented.
I first saw him in the "Billy" plays set in Belfast during the Troubles. Such great acting.

mrswoo Tue 25-Jan-22 12:28:52

I saw it at the weekend with DH. We both loved it. There wasn't a sound from the audience throughout the film - and when the credits went up at the end no one moved. It was as if we were all held spellbound.
The acting was outstanding - and that wee boy! What a great performance.

Iam64 Tue 25-Jan-22 12:31:29

It’s a great film. The boy a genius

Kate1949 Tue 25-Jan-22 12:36:16

I can't wait to see this. Kenneth is great. He looks amazing as Boris.

Iam64 Tue 25-Jan-22 12:39:21

Kate1949- where is that photograph from please

Kate1949 Tue 25-Jan-22 12:52:38

Well I've been a bit sad! blush Kenneth B was on the Graham Norton Show and they showed this pic of him playing Boris. I didn't catch what the film or series was. I wanted to send it to my sister to see if she could guess who it was, so I took a snap.

Knittynatter Tue 25-Jan-22 12:52:58

I’m going to see Belfast this evening and looking forward to it!

Iam64 Tue 25-Jan-22 12:53:59

Thanks - I’ll consult google - it could have been that excellent Brexit drama with Benedict Cumberbatch as Cummings

I’m sure you’ll enjoy Belfast, it’s a good movie

Kate1949 Tue 25-Jan-22 12:54:02

I've just noticed it says 'courtesy of Sky Atlantic' so it must be something on there

Grannmarie Tue 25-Jan-22 12:57:54

My sisters and I went to see Belfast on Friday afternoon, thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend.

Lucca Tue 25-Jan-22 13:01:14

I enjoyed it too but it’s definitely one to see at the cinema rather than the t.v screen.

MayBee70 Tue 25-Jan-22 13:07:00

I’m really pleased that Catriona Balfe will get the recognition she deserves as an actress. I’ve always loved her in Outlander. I may actually mask up and go to a cinema to see this. I didn’t intend to set foot in a cinema for the foreseeable future but I don’t really want to wait for it to come out on dvd.

Iam64 Tue 25-Jan-22 13:47:49

MayBee70- we were anxious but have been twice recently. Once at 3 once at 5.30. Once there were two others in there, at Belfast there were eight of us. Social distancing easy. It was exciting to Go Out

Lucca Tue 25-Jan-22 14:17:20

MayBee70

I’m really pleased that Catriona Balfe will get the recognition she deserves as an actress. I’ve always loved her in Outlander. I may actually mask up and go to a cinema to see this. I didn’t intend to set foot in a cinema for the foreseeable future but I don’t really want to wait for it to come out on dvd.

Definitely needs the big screen, we’ve been going to the cinema for quite a while and feel quite safe but we are not in a big city.

BlueBelle Tue 25-Jan-22 14:39:51

I m going in a couple of weeks with my friend looking forward to it
Even just going to the cinema is good there’s been nothing to see for ages I have been to the cinema during lockdown but there’s been very little showing at our local cinema

nadateturbe Tue 25-Jan-22 20:32:42

Iam64

MayBee70- we were anxious but have been twice recently. Once at 3 once at 5.30. Once there were two others in there, at Belfast there were eight of us. Social distancing easy. It was exciting to Go Out

I would love to go but I don't like the thought of crowds. Had anyone here been to cinema in Belfast? If so how busy was it?

nadateturbe Tue 25-Jan-22 20:38:00

Sorry Iam64 I quoted you by mistake.

Shinamae Tue 25-Jan-22 20:48:00

I’m going to see it tomorrow.. My friend wanted to go and see “Scream” last night, I have never watched so much bloody rubbish in my life…?‍♀️

Urmstongran Tue 25-Jan-22 20:54:22

I think it’s on Netflix. I plan to watch it soon.

Kamiso Tue 25-Jan-22 20:56:21

Just back from seeing Belfast. We both really enjoyed it. The acting and music was excellent and better for being on the big screen.

Also experienced the same silence at the end of the film - no mad scramble for the exit! Perhaps we are more inclined to savour the moment.

We chose the afternoon midweek to avoid crowds. The cinema was about 1/3rd full. We went to Bella Pasta after which made a real change and felt quite safe.

Iam64 Tue 25-Jan-22 21:24:52

Nadaterbe / cinema very quiet both recent visits felt very safe

Jaxjacky Tue 25-Jan-22 21:25:58

I don’t think it’s available to be streamed in the UK yet. Cinema only.