Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Fiona Bruce invites covid anti-vaxxers on QT

(145 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 24-Jan-22 22:14:13

Good idea? Bad idea?

Are there any reasonable CAV's? Guess we'll soon find out.

Kali2 Mon 24-Jan-22 22:23:17

Totally bad idea and should not be allowed tbh.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 24-Jan-22 22:35:50

Why such an outcry? Don’t you all think it would be interesting to hear what these people have to say? Everyone is entitled to an opinion. This no platforming malarkey is getting out of hand.

DillytheGardener Mon 24-Jan-22 22:38:39

Terrible idea. Giving them a platform just legitimises idiots. They have done enough damage already on social media.

Callistemon21 Mon 24-Jan-22 22:40:07

I agree, Ladyleftfieldlover.

It is quite alarming that discussion is shut down.
As long as there are others there to counter their arguments I don't see why not.

MissAdventure Mon 24-Jan-22 22:42:11

I'd be interested in what they have to say.

Callistemon21 Mon 24-Jan-22 22:47:38

I doubt there are many ditherers left wondering whether or not to have the vaccine so they will not be influencing others.

Blossoming Mon 24-Jan-22 22:49:42

Good idea, shutting down debate is never right.

GagaJo Mon 24-Jan-22 22:52:42

I think what will happen is that they will be as ridiculous as Sherri Peach, the National Front member and Tommy Robinson supporter who tried to pass herself off as a normal member of the public.

I don't know if I'd actually welcome a well reasoned, non conspiracy theorist/nut-job putting a sensible argument forward or not. I suspect the number of those is miniscule, if not non-existent. But it's a possibility.

Chewbacca Mon 24-Jan-22 23:21:13

I'd be interested in what they have to say too, I'd be fascinated to know their thought processes.
It's never a good idea to silence a minority group simply because we disagree with them; it only sends then deeper underground and makes them more dangerous. Better we hear why they think as they do.

janeainsworth Mon 24-Jan-22 23:23:09

I think it depends how the anti-vaxxers conduct themselves and how well Fiona Bruce moderates the discussion.
And who is on the panel. It would be good if Tim Spector or Dr John Campbell or Prof Sir Jonathan van Tam were on.

Although I’ve had 3 vaccines myself, I’m not convinced that sacking healthcare workers who refuse vaccination is the right way forward, given that the virus is less deadly now than it was when it first appeared.

Marthjolly1 Mon 24-Jan-22 23:37:12

I would really welcome an opportunity to try to understand how anti-vaxxers have come to their conclusions. Bring on the discussion and listen to their point of view. It won't influence my trust in the science but it may help me understand their arguments.

Chestnut Mon 24-Jan-22 23:43:31

I would never want to shut down any debate, whoever the people are, unless they are calling for murder or violence. Universities have stopped certain people speaking which is also wrong. I agree in this case there should be informed people to answer back when the anti-vax opinions are put forward.
I also don't feel anti-vaxxers should be dismissed from the NHS. We are struggling with staff shortages without adding to the problem, and vaccinated people can still catch covid and pass it on so where does that leave them? Maybe they are also too dangerous to employ in the NHS. Maybe everyone is.

maddyone Mon 24-Jan-22 23:45:10

I agree with others, I’d like to hear their opinions, but there must be others on the programme who are able to use factual evidence to put the opposing position, in other words, the true facts eg Prof Jonathan van Tam.

Newquay Tue 25-Jan-22 03:14:55

I would look forward to this as we have anti vaxxers in our family. Intelligent people who say they have done their research-including science graduates too! Just hope, as OP say they’ll have good opposing views like Van Tam

FannyCornforth Tue 25-Jan-22 03:44:09

Excuse me if I’m being thick here; I don’t watch QT, I listen to it on Radio 5.
Is it still the same studio format as pre Covid?
If so, I wouldn’t want to be in an enclosed space with a load of anti vaxxers.
Other that that, I think that it’s a good idea.
Like others, I’m interested in their thought processes

Doodledog Tue 25-Jan-22 06:04:18

Ladyleftfieldlover

Why such an outcry? Don’t you all think it would be interesting to hear what these people have to say? Everyone is entitled to an opinion. This no platforming malarkey is getting out of hand.

Absolutely this.

I really fear for democracy in this country. We have a government which is dismantling the right to protest, and it seems that more and more people are prepared to shout No Debate rather than listen to those with different opinions from their own.

Calendargirl Tue 25-Jan-22 06:55:24

On the News last night was a hospital Covid ward with all but one patient unvaccinated. One was slowly recovering after a month on a ventilator. When asked why he hadn’t had the vaccine, he had no real reason, but still seemed doubtful.

Silly, silly man.

Sarnia Tue 25-Jan-22 09:07:08

According to BBC news last night we have 5 million of these idiots walking amongst us. Whatever their reason, I am not interested. Everyone has suffered to some extent by 2 years of this awful virus and the majority of us, who probably had some misgivings, have gone and had our vaccine jabs so that we and others who come into contact with us can be as safe as possible. I hope some strict measures are put in place to prevent the non-vaccinated travelling and attending entertainment and sporting events. If that happened I think quite a lot of this 5million would change their minds and get jabbed. We may be having restrictions lifted but Covid is still here and for that reason ALL of us need to step up and do our bit.

honeyrose Tue 25-Jan-22 09:09:42

I’d be interested to hear what they have to say too and would also welcome JVT or someone of similar expertise on the panel. The audience is now well spaced out and they are wearing face masks. Obviously the audience would consist of vaccinated and unvaccinated, but then that would happen in any other setting.

love0c Tue 25-Jan-22 09:11:42

Anyone see the interview with the doctor last night? Apparently the sickness of staff off at the moment in the NHS are the vaccinated?! Just so you know I am fully vaccinated.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 25-Jan-22 09:15:55

I am a firm believer in free speech so yes they are entitled to explain their reasons for refusing the vaccine.

However, because we are in a pandemic crises with many many deaths, then it is beholden if the BBC to ensure that they have a doctor explaining his reasons for having a vaccine and a virologist explains how virus work and an epidemiologist explains the consequences if not having a vaccine. To provide balance to the argument.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 25-Jan-22 09:17:04

love0c

Anyone see the interview with the doctor last night? Apparently the sickness of staff off at the moment in the NHS are the vaccinated?! Just so you know I am fully vaccinated.

Well it would be wouldn't it, if you think about it.

The question to ask is how sick are they, compared to the unvaccinated who are sick.

Grandmabatty Tue 25-Jan-22 09:19:17

I would have expected the majority of NHS staff to be vaccinated so it stands that they will be off sick. The vaccine doesn't stop you getting covid, but it stops you getting seriously ill, in the main. Just the same as the flu vaccine. I stopped watching Question Time years ago as it stopped being a debate, more a rabble.

love0c Tue 25-Jan-22 09:21:21

Why would it be? The vaccinated are the sick ones. That is the point I am making. There does need to be debate/studies. It is no good burying our heads in the sand. If it turns out too many vaccinations are actually making people susceptible to these virus, we need to now.