Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What did you think about Murder in Provence?

(95 Posts)
mokryna Mon 18-Jul-22 16:37:23

New drama series last night. I quiet enjoyed its setting in France. In the beginning I half expected Endeavor to pop up but that soon left me when I got involved in the story.

PollyDolly Mon 18-Jul-22 16:45:48

Watched it on BritBox when it first came out. Wasn't impressed with the drama on BBC 1 last night set in an emergency control room.

Joseanne Mon 18-Jul-22 16:47:11

I'm not sure. The scenery was nice, but I couldn't get used to French characters being played by very English actors. It grew on me, so I will watch again.

Charleygirl5 Mon 18-Jul-22 16:51:14

PollyDolly you were watching a different programme on BBC1 The Control Room.

It grew on me but I would not have liked to hear fake French accents. At least once I had sorted out the characters I did not have to give much thought to it. I will watch it again next Sunday.

Aveline Mon 18-Jul-22 16:54:06

I saw it on BritBox and thought it was a nice change. Thursday abroad!

eazybee Mon 18-Jul-22 16:54:10

I thought it rather stilted and slow, and wondered if they were going to dub it for French audiences. Fell asleep so not sure what happened so will watch again.

FannyCornforth Mon 18-Jul-22 16:57:41

It’s pretty dire, in spite of starring my virtual husband Mr Allam

Mine Mon 18-Jul-22 17:01:36

I thought it was awful.shock

Ramblingrose22 Mon 18-Jul-22 17:06:20

I decided to watch it because I'm a Francophile, know part of Provence and love the two leading actors.

Wasn't looking for a complicated plot that is hard to follow.

In this heat and after a hot weekend I found it a light and relaxing watch.

Grandmabatty Mon 18-Jul-22 17:11:54

I love Roger Allan and this didn't do him justice. It was all froth and no substance.

Grandmabatty Mon 18-Jul-22 17:12:05

Allam

Callistemon21 Mon 18-Jul-22 17:21:55

Joseanne

I'm not sure. The scenery was nice, but I couldn't get used to French characters being played by very English actors. It grew on me, so I will watch again.

We've recorded it as DH wanted to watch the Control Room ut said he won't bother to watch any more, dark, dismal and depressing!

Rather like Maigret, Joseanne.
In fact lovely Roger Allam would have made a good Maigret.

Callistemon21 Mon 18-Jul-22 17:22:46

FannyCornforth

It’s pretty dire, in spite of starring my virtual husband Mr Allam

I'm not divorcing him!

Oldbat1 Mon 18-Jul-22 17:36:04

Saw this on another channel earlier this year. Underwhelmed. Love Provence but even the scenery didn’t encourage me to watch again.

TerriBull Mon 18-Jul-22 17:41:39

Watched it on Britbox a while ago, I've forgotten much of the plot. only watched it because I love scenic Provence, I have cousins just outside Aix, but apart from the scenery it was pretty unexciting fodder to slump in front of and zone out really.

BlueBelle Mon 18-Jul-22 17:48:12

Are we talking about The control room or murder in Provence
There seems comments about both
I enjoyed The control room looking forward to more of it tonight

RubyGran Mon 18-Jul-22 17:50:24

DH and I watched the series earlier this year and we both agreed that the French setting is lovely and the acting is good, but we didn't like the way viewers aren't given the opportunity to use the clues to work out who the murderer is, as everything was spelt out in the conversations between the two main characters as the story moves along. We'd have liked a bit more of a challenge.

Calendargirl Mon 18-Jul-22 17:59:10

My TV guide likened it to Death In Paradise, The Mallorca Files and Magnum PI. Have never watched any of those, but after sitting through the PM Debate beforehand, I fancied something a bit light and frothy, and I like Roger Allam.

Rather underwhelmed, it was just like I thought it would be. Fell asleep before the end, but wasn’t really bothered ‘who dunnit’.

Cheesey Mon 18-Jul-22 19:09:27

We really enjoyed it actually. Enjoyed the performances of Roger Allan and Nancy Carroll and the banter between them.
Beautiful scenery and a light easy watch for a change.

Esmay Mon 18-Jul-22 19:29:53

I was looking forward to it -I like Roger Allam .
I think that I'd watched the credits when I dozed off .
I have yet to watch the recording !

Nandalot Mon 18-Jul-22 19:39:23

Very disappointing. Even the short views of Cassis which was the first holiday with DH when both students (youth hosteling) wasn’t enough to redeem. Had really been looking forward to it.

Treebee Mon 18-Jul-22 19:53:06

I love Aix and enjoyed glimpsing parts of it. Cassis is stunning but the scene there didn’t look like how I remember it. I was disappointed that the actors were all English, even the extras looked English with no French body language.
2 niggles: casual unnecessary blaspheming language, and stupid amount of cushions on the bed that had to be removed before getting in.
Apart from that it was good Sunday evening entertainment.

merlotgran Mon 18-Jul-22 19:58:48

I kept thinking how much my mother would have loved it. She enjoyed any detective dramas where the wife/partner was clever, stylish and loyal, often stealing the limelight.

I’m thinking Paul Temple and Steve, Maigret and Madame Maigret and the wife in Pie in the Sky.

I enjoyed Patricia Hodge playing the mother.

LadyGracie Mon 18-Jul-22 22:58:09

We watched for about half an hour and thought it pretty dire.
I loved him in Endeavour.

Catterygirl Mon 18-Jul-22 23:20:19

I tried to watch it with OH yesterday, but we both found it too slow. I tried again this afternoon and quite got into it. Needs more outdoor shots. I found it to be a lot like Midsummer murders.