Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Newsreader

(19 Posts)
Pittcity Mon 15-Aug-22 18:56:56

I've just finished this series on iPlayer and enjoyed it, so I thought I'd recommend it on here.

It's Australian and set in the 1980s. Lots of real life news like the Challenger space shuttle disaster and Chernobyl wound into the lives of the people who work in a TV newsroom.

Big hair, landline phones, typewriters and video tape.....memory lane.

There are warnings about suicide as a theme but it's really a soap opera type story and not heavy or distressing at all.

MerylStreep Mon 15-Aug-22 19:01:38

It’s very good, isn’t it.
One I’ve just started watching is: In a league of their own.
It’s about womens baseball teams in the earl 40s.
The sexism is off the scale ?

dolphindaisy Mon 15-Aug-22 19:21:19

I also enjoyed The Newsreader, I liked the way each episode centred around real life events of the time, I did think it got quite dark when AIDS was first recorded and it reflected the opinions and prejudice at the time. My only criticism is that I didn't see any chemistry between the two lead characters. I believe they are filming a second series which I'll definitely watch

Pittcity Mon 15-Aug-22 19:29:57

There has to be a second series as they left so many stories hanging.

Chestnut Mon 15-Aug-22 23:37:23

I was going to post about this as the first series has just ended. What an amazing series, so much better than we get here. I watch anything Australian as I think their dramas are wonderful.

This was excellent, great characters, great storyline, great acting, I was transfixed! the BBC has not produced anything that good for years. Why do we have to rely on the Australian Broadcasting Company to provide us with something decent to watch?

Chestnut Mon 15-Aug-22 23:39:42

Pittcity

There has to be a second series as they left so many stories hanging.

There is going to be a second series next year. Can't wait!

Kate1949 Mon 15-Aug-22 23:49:30

We're watching it at the moment. Isn't it great?

marshmarigold132 Tue 16-Aug-22 08:56:05

Really enjoyed it. Anyone watched Five Bedrooms, another Australian production?

Chestnut Tue 16-Aug-22 09:45:45

Loved Five Bedrooms too, but only the first two series. I thought the third not so much. I see Stephen Peacocke has main parts in both. He used to be Brax the River Boy in Home and Away and now seems to be popping up everywhere.

Visgir1 Tue 16-Aug-22 11:26:36

I was surprised no one had commented on this series before.
Probably one of the best things to hit TV this summer.
Love another series.

Nandalot Tue 16-Aug-22 12:28:47

We enjoyed it too. I was on tenterhooks all through the last episode because of the suicide warning wondering who it would be.

Sparklefizz Tue 16-Aug-22 12:37:24

I wasn't too impressed so gave up, but perhaps I'll give it another chance.

Chestnut Tue 16-Aug-22 14:14:20

The last episode was quite gripping and a very moving scene at the end between the two leads. I was in tears with him! Good acting there.

I love the way everyone jumps to it when a big story comes up, and they all rush to find information. No Google then so goodness knows how Noeline finds her information on these stories, and gets it verified.

travelsafar Wed 17-Aug-22 18:27:11

I loved this. Fantastic Australian drama. Interesting topics and great back stories. Loved the characters especially Lindsay, thought he would blow a gasket. Can you imagine a boss like him surviving now adays!!! No comparison between this and the current UK drama Marriage.?

Auntieflo Wed 17-Aug-22 22:36:56

I finished watching this tonight. Loved it.
But, I had recorded all episodes to binge watch. Watched the first two , but when it came to episode 3, all I got was WEATHER, or some sort of Countryfile programme.
Thank heavens for Iplayer.
Episodes 4-6 were present and correct.
I look forward to a second series ?

Pittcity Thu 18-Aug-22 07:58:18

I had that problem with recordings Auntiflo and watched the rest on iPlayer.

Eloethan Sun 28-Aug-22 00:29:30

I really enjoyed this series. I found the two main characters so likeable and interesting - and the other characters were great too. The backdrop of past famous events also made for interesting plots. Fabulous series.

I watched, and enjoyed, Five Bedrooms too. I can't remember what channel is was on originally but I think it's being shown again on the BBC.

Pittcity Sun 28-Aug-22 09:14:12

Just started 5 bedrooms and enjoying it. How come the Australians are so good at this type of programme? Is it because the American series have too many episodes?

marshmarigold132 Sun 28-Aug-22 11:09:46

Another Australian series, The Heart Guy, enjoyed that as well.