Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Lost King

(8 Posts)
Callistemon21 Wed 28-Sep-22 23:05:21

No, not another royal thread as such but a film about the discovery of the remains of Richard III in a Leicester car park by Philippa Langley.
Starring Sally Hawkins and Steve Coogan, co-written by Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope, directed by Stephen Frears, it opens in cinemas here in a couple of weeks.

It has caused somewhat of a controversy already as academics from Leicester University dispute the way in which they are portrayed. Mrs Langley says the film is an accurate portrayal of events.
The battle continues over 500 years after his death.

Witzend Thu 29-Sep-22 09:43:02

It’s on my list!

Deedaa Thu 29-Sep-22 09:47:15

Looking forward to seeing this. Been a big fan of Richard ever since I read The Daughter Of Time 60 years ago. I'd always believed the stories about his bones being thrown in the river so it was amazing when he was found. It's a shame my mother wasn't still here, she'd have loved it.

Glorianny Thu 29-Sep-22 09:48:18

I love that story. Thanks I will look out for it. The arguments about Richard III are so many, great we've added another!

Callistemon21 Thu 29-Sep-22 10:15:08

? nothing like a good argument especially when wwe can't do anything about it!

DH said he thought that Richard III was buried in a small church which was later demolished and much later on, a car park was built over the foundations.

Glorianny Thu 29-Sep-22 11:58:49

He's right in a way Callistemon21 It was a Priory. All destroyed by Henry VIII of course. Wiki is good about him en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhumation_and_reburial_of_Richard_III_of_England

Callistemon21 Thu 29-Sep-22 13:02:30

Thanks Glorianny

DH is a keen history buff but whether or not this would be his cup of tea I don't know.
Steve Coogan is good, though, as is Sally Hawkins (isn't she Paddington's foster Mum?)

Glorianny Thu 29-Sep-22 13:09:14

She is. A great actress. I loved her in "The Shape of Water"as the mute cleaner. She and Steve Coogan should be good together. He surprised me in Philomena.