Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Mothering Sunday on Netflix

(25 Posts)
Sparklefizz Wed 01-Feb-23 15:35:20

Anyone watched this? It's got an excellent cast (Hugh Bonneville, Olivia Colman, Glenda Jackson and that young chap Josh somebody who played Prince Charles in The Crown).

It's set in the 1920s - beautiful clothes, cars and rooms - quite a lot of nudity which is perhaps not totally necessary although tastefully filmed. In fact the filming itself is rather "arty". I wasn't sure about it at first but later found it lovely and the whole thing very moving.

Abracadabra Wed 01-Feb-23 18:40:12

Thank you for the heads up, I shall give it a go and as you say, lovely cast

Norah Wed 01-Feb-23 19:39:44

I believe it's Colin Firth, not Hugh Bonneville?

Perhaps I misunderstood.

vegansrock Thu 02-Feb-23 04:45:40

The book is good too.

Sparklefizz Thu 02-Feb-23 06:52:43

Norah

I believe it's Colin Firth, not Hugh Bonneville?

Perhaps I misunderstood.

You're right Norah - I got it wrong. Oops.

Redhead56 Thu 02-Feb-23 09:42:03

Any programme set in the 1920s gets my attention Art Deco fashion jewellery hairstyles furniture I love it all.

Wyllow3 Thu 02-Feb-23 09:50:39

me too! In fact I watch endless poirots just to see the styles

thanks for the heads up, made a note.

toscalily Thu 02-Feb-23 09:52:44

Have put it into my watch list thank you, really appreciate recommendations. There is so much on Netflix I'm sure I miss quite a lot of things I would prefer to watch rather than starting two or three then deleting after realising it is utter dross.

NorthFace Fri 03-Feb-23 10:30:29

I've seen it, Sparklefizz.

A beautiful film based on, arguably, Graham Swift's finest novel.

Sparklefizz Fri 03-Feb-23 11:21:43

NorthFace

Thanks NorthFace for mentioning the book. I've reserved it from the library.

BlueSapphire Fri 03-Feb-23 11:25:32

Yes, I've seen it, read the book first; beautifully written and beautifully filmed.

Sparklefizz Fri 03-Feb-23 11:27:04

.I liked the film so much that I'm going to watch it again

Aveline Fri 03-Feb-23 15:46:00

I tried to watch this as it sounded right up my street but I found it just too slow and, well, boring. I actually fell asleep watching it. Sorry.

J52 Fri 03-Feb-23 15:55:33

Aveline

I tried to watch this as it sounded right up my street but I found it just too slow and, well, boring. I actually fell asleep watching it. Sorry.

Glad I wasn’t the only one, I nearly nodded off as well.
Despite being widely read, I really couldn’t see the point. The characters all seemed very self indulgent.
The loud dramatic music was off putting and overshadowed the dialogue.
However, I’m pleased some people could enjoy it. Each to their own.

Aveline Fri 03-Feb-23 17:16:53

I had looked forward to it too sad

Wyllow3 Fri 03-Feb-23 17:25:21

Atm it looks like I have to pay to watch on Netflix, buy not rent, is this "just me?".

Aveline Fri 03-Feb-23 17:49:47

Do you have a Netflix subscription?

Wyllow3 Fri 03-Feb-23 17:54:14

Aveline I get Netflix through my Sky subscription. It makes me wonder if that means I only get limited access.

Aveline Fri 03-Feb-23 18:03:16

I thought Netflix was a standalone charge. I get it via BT but it's an extra charge.

Wyllow3 Fri 03-Feb-23 18:22:28

it looks like there are 2 levels of Netflix and sky subscribers dont get "premium" Netflix.

Norah Fri 03-Feb-23 18:27:49

I watched with daughter3, her TV has many subscriptions.

The actors were wonderful, scenes lovely. Brilliant.

Colin Firth is appealing in many varied roles.

NorthFace Sat 04-Feb-23 23:24:43

Sparklefizz

NorthFace

Thanks NorthFace for mentioning the book. I've reserved it from the library.

I read the book when it was published in 2016 and have just finished listening to the audiobook as a refresher. It was available free on Borrowbox and is only a little over three hours long.

It reminded me that Jane Fairchild is the narrator but not omniscient. She can only imagine what is going on elsewhere.

The book gives more weight to her marriage to Donald, to her life as an established writer and her interest in boys' adventure stories. These still populate the shelves of the two grand houses as well as the novels of Joseph Conrad which inspired her to become a writer.

Nevertheless, Jane's relationship with Paul Sheringham is key to the story as is the "clean sheet" she was given in life.

As we saw, the story hinges on staff being given the day off to visit their families as was traditional on Mothering Sunday but Jane, having no mother or family at all, is at leisure.

The film accentuates how we each manage grief better than the book imo as Clarissa Nivens is barely in Jane's imagination. Olivia Colman's part in the film is small but her every look, gesture and word leave us in no doubt as to how she feels.

I definitely recommend reading or listening to the book as a supplement to the film.

Mo65 Sat 04-Feb-23 23:41:54

18:22Wyllow3

it looks like there are 2 levels of Netflix and sky subscribers dont get "premium" Netflix.

You will have full access to stream Netflix from Sky. 🙂

Mo65 Sat 04-Feb-23 23:44:01

Meant to add depending on what package you have, will dictate how many devices you can watch it on at the same time

NorthFace Sun 05-Feb-23 00:32:55

Outside of Sky:

Netflix with ads £4.99
Streaming at 720p (HD) no simultaneous streaming.

Netflix Basic £6.99
Streaming at 720p (HD) no simultaneous streaming.

Netflix Standard £10.99
Streaming at 1080p (Full HD) on two devices simultaneously.

Netflix Premium £15.99
Ultra High Definition 4K streaming on four devices simultaneously.

I watched the film on Netflix Basic.

Via Sky:

Sky Ultimate TV or Ultimate TV Add On gets you Netflix Basic. If you want Netflix Standard for HD quality on two devices, you need the Sky HD pack at extra cost.

This explains:

www.techadvisor.com/article/732433/how-to-get-netflix-on-sky-q-glass.html

The only reason I can see for not being able to watch the film is if you are maxing out what’s included in your Sky package.