Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Harry and Meghan, Channel 5.

(8 Posts)
Calendargirl Sun 04-Jun-23 07:22:30

I watched this last night, the main theme being is America falling out of love with them?

It was interesting and tried to see it from both sides.

Ultimately, their royal status is what interests the public, without that they haven’t much to market.

It ended with speculating Harry would go down the charity route, emulating his mother, and Meghan would either return to acting, if a good enough role was offered, or endorse products and brands, which seems more likely.

Time will tell.

FannyCornforth Sun 04-Jun-23 07:29:25

I’m not sure that the US was particularly fussed by them either way.

Dickens Sun 04-Jun-23 08:14:17

I watched this last night, the main theme being is America falling out of love with them?

Quite possibly! Those that were impressed in the first instance anyway.

I would like also to see things from both sides, but because of Royal protocol, we won't - can't really. Hence all the speculation about a 'situation' that is real, but intensely media-driven.

I've not spent too much mental energy on H&M but have tried to be a little objective and I believe that Harry probably does have genuine grievances, but is (a) too self-obsessed to be able to apply any reasoned examination of his upbringing, and (b) that he doesn't have the emotional or 'mental' maturity to deal with it in a level-headed and fair-minded manner. I also think the death of his mother, and the manner in which she died, affected him deeply. But for all that, he has still led a privileged life but lacks the self-awareness necessary to understand the implications of it.

I don't think he's intrinsically a bad person. However, as long as he seeks to make a living out of being a public persona, putting himself constantly in the spotlight, he will never 'come to terms' with himself, and will gain little respect from the very public he's attempting to court.

IMO, ultimately he'd be a happier individual if he applied his energy to doing a constructive and meaningful job which kept him out of the public eye. Getting dressed-up to appear as a guest-speaker - arriving 'in-style' with Meghan attached to his arm, to endorse charitable events, is really just a continuation of his privileged life as a Royal... it's what Royalty do. And I don't think it's ever going to work in his favour.

merlotgran Sun 04-Jun-23 09:26:53

I didn’t watch it but I’ve always been puzzled as to why people in the US are supposed to be fascinated by royalty when they got rid of them centuries ago.

Maybe it’s dawned on them that they’ve just got landed with the one we don’t want? 😂

Pooter Sun 04-Jun-23 11:41:28

Since all the "expert" royal commentators aren't independent and dispassionate when push comes to shove, I have difficulty in taking their 'expert' opinions, and by extension the programme, at face value. Ultimately they all have a dog in the fight.

I've long believed that the real 'beef' here isn't so much between H&M and the rest of the royal family, but rather between Harry and particularly the 'British' tabloid press. Which is why the media's conclusions will always be more critical of Harry than a more balanced consideration would suggest.

henetha Sun 04-Jun-23 12:22:27

I do so agree with this, Dickens -
"IMO, ultimately he'd be a happier individual if he applied his energy to doing a constructive and meaningful job which kept him out of the public eye. Getting dressed-up to appear as a guest-speaker - arriving 'in-style' with Meghan attached to his arm, to endorse charitable events, is really just a continuation of his privileged life as a Royal... it's what Royalty do. And I don't think it's ever going to work in his favour."

I hope he will do this eventually. Surely he would feel more fulfilled if he was doing something really useful. I think he has much to offer if he used his energy this way instead of his perpetual whinging.

Theexwife Sun 04-Jun-23 12:30:02

If the programme was about America loving Harry and Meghan it could have been spun that way, it was a nothing programme without anything new in it.

Jaberwok Sun 04-Jun-23 18:07:02

What useful job? Harry isn't trained for anything and academically not over bright, that's why he can only earn the sort of money he needs by trashing his famous family. Once this source runs dry then what? Brother William of course did and could go back to flying air ambulance if the chips went down,but Harry?