Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Flat Out Fabulous

(4 Posts)
MayBee70 Wed 17-Apr-24 19:22:37

When I’ve been watching my favourite home makeover programmes ( Clean It, Fix It, Sort Your Life Out etc) this often pops up afterwards. A designer-decorates the living room in a rental property for the cost that the-rental tenants would spend on a night out. The results are like the worst possible make overs on Changing Rooms. Maybe it’s aimed at younger people and it’s my fault for being too lazy to switch off but I’m also fascinated by how awful the rooms are. I think I might be the only person in the world who actually watches it ( I’m currently watching a ceiling being painted purple). I did once have an aubergine bathroom when I lived in a house covered in wood chip but that was forty years ago.

DreamDrifter Fri 19-Apr-24 00:52:36

That show sounds like a wild ride! It's funny how sometimes the most entertaining makeovers can come from the worst ones. If you're into home decor, have you watched any other shows that provide more polished design tips? Have you checked out any other shows offering refined design hacks for sprucing up your home? Do you find shows like "Property Brothers" or "Fixer Upper" satisfying without cringe? A purple ceiling may not be everyone's preference, but it can definitely spark conversations.

NotSpaghetti Fri 19-Apr-24 00:58:48

MayBee70 we had a huge purple/aubergine bathroom in the 1970s - but it can't have been our bathroom as we had no woodchuck!

Did you have an aubergine bath etc?
Ours was a huge old claw-foot stand alone type in the middle of the room - with a purple outside.

MayBee70 Mon 22-Apr-24 00:28:39

When we moved in I removed the wood chip using a cheese grater as I didn’t know about steamers. I’m currently obsessively watching Obsessive Compulsive cleaners. (I’ve got about 4 series to watch plus several where the clean stately homes). However, from watching it I’ve realised I’m a hoarder but with ocd tendencies too. It’s a bit like reading cookery books when on a diet, and is a result of my attempt to declutter the house.