Gransnet forums

Webchats

James Morton (GBBO) bread webchat - Fri 27 Sept 1-2pm

(68 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 12-Sep-13 19:23:26

We all loved his Fairisle pullies and eccentric showstoppers on the Great British Bake Off 2012. And now <excitement> medical student, GBO runner up and dab hand with all things floury James Morton is joining us at GNHQ for a live webchat to talk about Mary and Paul, great knitwear...and his new book Brilliant Bread.

Bread is his passion - he is fascinated by the science of it, the taste of it, the making of it - and now he wants to share that passion with the Great British public. To find out how to make perfect bread, his trademark yum yums <salivates> and much much more simply add your questions here. There's a signed copy of the book for someone who posts on the thread.

Mauaflower Sat 05-Oct-13 09:15:20

Hi James. Having never made bread in my life my cookbook club chose your book, so I've got 4 weeks to learn ( we all bring something from the cookbook plus in this case something to go with it!) I've made 3 'no knead' loaves and today am attempting a kneaded loaf for the first time. The problem is that I don't know how to adapt the no knead recipes to kneading. I might just be being a bit thick but how long should I prove a basic wholemeal loaf (mixed white/whole)? And do I knead once or twice? Thanks!

kittylester Tue 01-Oct-13 17:24:55

Thank you Cari - I'll try it too - yet another trip to the health food shop coming up! grin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 01-Oct-13 13:51:23

And the answer (taken from James Morton's Brilliant Bread* - which I am leafing through now and is FABULOUS!)

* and courtesy of his lovely publishers Ebury. The book is priced £20

Great Gluten Free bread

Makes 1 large tin loaf • Time spent in the kitchen: 5–10 minutes • Time taken altogether: 2½–3 hours

420g white GF flour
5g xanthan gum (only if your flour doesn't have it in already)
1 x 7g sachet fast action yeast
5g salt
25g psyllium husk powder
20g honey
10g white wine or cider vinegar
15g sunflower oil plus extra for shaping
200g water (reduce to 100g and add the whites of 3 eggs if you can't get psyllium husk)
180g milk

1. In a large bowl, combine the GF flour, xanthan gum, yeast, salt and psyllium husk, keeping the yeast and salt separate whilst rubbing in.

2. In another bowl, whisk together the honey, vinegar, oil, water and milk. Add these wet ingredients to the dry and mix together until a smooth dough and there is no flour visible. Cover the bowl and leave to rest for one hour.

3. Once rested, use oiled hands to turn the dough out onto an oiled surface. If you used psyllium husk you'll be amazed that you can actually gently shape the dough like normal bread! I recommend shaping into a batard for a loaf tin. Transfer to the tin and leave to prove for a final hour.

4. At least 30 minutes before you're going to bake, preheat your oven to 240C/Gas 9. Once ready, lightly score the top of your bread with a single cut and transfer to the oven to bake for about 20 minutes, after which turn your oven down to 200/Gas 6 1/2 and bake for a final 20 mins.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 01-Oct-13 10:47:56

I didn't. I will see if I can find out though because I really want to try it!

kittylester Fri 27-Sep-13 15:36:00

Hi Cari - but did you get a recipe for gluten free bread? To what do we add the psyllium husk? confused

JamesMorton Fri 27-Sep-13 14:04:05

LaraGransnet

Thanks James for coming in and letting us know that Paul is a cuddly bear - sure he'll love you for that! Some great questions and answers. Good luck with the book!

Thanks for having me! It was a joy!

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 27-Sep-13 14:03:28

Thanks James for coming in and letting us know that Paul is a cuddly bear - sure he'll love you for that! Some great questions and answers. Good luck with the book!

JamesMorton Fri 27-Sep-13 14:02:58

MiceElf

Another one. We love olive and rosemary bread and red pesto bread. Any other combinations that light your oven?

Absolutely loads! You can try almost anything - basil, tomatoes... try making your own pizzas! For about 60 others, see my book smile

james

Sunnyclimbs Fri 27-Sep-13 14:02:08

Just like my OH! He loves brownies but I have to offload all the cakes I make to friends and family-if he has any it's only a tiny slice!

JamesMorton Fri 27-Sep-13 14:01:29

Grannyfive

I don't remember you having any particularly disastrous mishaps etc. on the show (correct me if my memory has failed me!) was it horrible to watch fellow bakers in the middle of a sticky situation, or were you too focused on your ownr baking to notice?

Hi Grannyfive! Thanks for the question - my last one I'm afraid. We all were quite in 'the zone' - we were focused on what were doing, yes. I had a few disasters, but I didn't see them as horrendous. I was quite lucky to keep a certain sense of perspective; it was just baking after all!

James

JamesMorton Fri 27-Sep-13 13:59:36

Sunnyclimbs

Hello James, I wondered, what is your favourite type of cake and bread? And is bread-making more about science and technical ability or the knack of combining the right flavourss etc?

Good questions Sunnyclimbs! My favourite bread would be a sourdough pain de campagne - simply white but with the kick of a little dark rye. As for cake, it's difficult. I'm not the biggest fan of them, if I'm honest... Do brownies count? Love a rich, raspberry brownie.

This recent idea of combining the right flavours is pretension evangelised by the GBBO. In bread, it's irrelevant, pretty much, and it's much better to master the classics. Combining flavours is something to experiment with but not dwell on - its just a way people have come up with to make them sound original. When in actual fact, their product would be superior pure. So yes, it's all about knowing what to do! But you need remarkably little to make good bread, just a wee bit of understanding.

indigo Fri 27-Sep-13 13:58:34

Good luck for marathon!

JamesMorton Fri 27-Sep-13 13:55:43

GrannyBusy

What do you think of the recent trend for all things cupcake?

I think this trend is nearly over, and I'm thankful for that. #TooMuchIcing

Even macarons are going out of fashion! Who knows what will take their place? A lot of people are saying meringues... but I think BUNS. Iced buns.

JamesMorton Fri 27-Sep-13 13:54:08

Iwantmylunch

puts on husky voice Hello James... Do you have a Mrs? wink

feels bad for scaring the poor lad grin

Dear Iwantmylunch,

I have a Mrs.

Thank you,
James

Grannyfive Fri 27-Sep-13 13:53:18

I don't remember you having any particularly disastrous mishaps etc. on the show (correct me if my memory has failed me!) was it horrible to watch fellow bakers in the middle of a sticky situation, or were you too focused on your ownr baking to notice?

JamesMorton Fri 27-Sep-13 13:53:15

Cheese

Hi James. There are quite a lot of male chefs/bakers over the past few years - do you think the stereotype of women in the kitchen are shifting? How does it feel to be role-modelling for the kids of day? <pressure> grin

If I'm honest, I think there are too many male professional bakers and not enough women; conversely in the home, I'd like to see more men baking. Hopefully I can help, but I think it's shifting to a more equal distribution now and I see that as a very good thing for everyone.

JamesMorton Fri 27-Sep-13 13:50:19

golfpro

Hope you don't mind my asking but how old are you? What is next for you - you have accomplished so much for someone who is so young?

I am 22 years old. What next? Who knows, I'll take whatever I can get. I'm still training to become a doctor, so I've got another year and a half of that before starting work. I'll keep baking in the meantime!

JamesMorton Fri 27-Sep-13 13:48:56

ticktock

Hi James - how does it feel to be such a trend setter? grin Do the comments about your jumpers get annoying?

Ha! Trend setter... I wish. I don't mind, I'm happy to support GENUINE Shetlandic knitwear!

LyndaW

Ha! I like ticktock's question. Who makes your jumpers? Or where do you buy them from? I think one of my son's might quite like one. Who is that other Swedish bloke from a crime series who's also made woolly jumpers the in thing? Is he stealing your style? wink

And LyndaW again! They are from Jamieson's of Lerwick - they don't do mail order but some of the more enterprising Shetland ladies have set up an online hand-knit service. Google it! And don't accept imitations...

golfpro Fri 27-Sep-13 13:47:57

Hope you don't mind my asking but how old are you? What is next for you - you have accomplished so much for someone who is so young?

JamesMorton Fri 27-Sep-13 13:46:15

cm25

Hi James,

Absolutely loved watching you on bakeoff and follow you on twitter! Who do you think will win this series?

Thanks for coming onto Gransnet!

I've got my favourites and I'm sure you do too! Isn't Glenn lovely? He's so nice in real life too...

MiceElf Fri 27-Sep-13 13:45:40

Another one. We love olive and rosemary bread and red pesto bread. Any other combinations that light your oven?

JamesMorton Fri 27-Sep-13 13:44:49

LyndaW

Hi James

I can't say I'm much of a baker. The last time I bought a breadmaker I set it to come on at 5am and at about 6 I was woken up by an almighty crash as the thing vibrated its way off the countertop and smashed onto the kitchen floor!

That said, the two or three loaves I got out of it before were quite lovely. My question is, how do you keep fresh bread fresh for longer. I feel like on the (very) odd occasion that we've made a loaf, it's stale by the end of the day. If my sons were still living at home that wouldn't be a problem and it would all be gone but as it is we'd quite like it to last at least one more day.

Ah hah, a brilliant question LyndaW! The rule is, that the longer a loaf takes to make, then the longer if will last. So, if you make bread that you just prove once for an hour in a warm place, it will be stale by the end of the day. If you prove it overnight in the fridge, it will last a week. It's all about the OTHER bugs that are inside a dough and the amount of alcohol the yeast is producing - these are preservatives. Just like salt - you need a good amount of salt too (10g per 500g flour is right). Then, you need to bake them well - your bread needs to be properly cooked all the way through. Sourdoughs will last a good long times - take your time and 2 weeks later you'll still have perfectly toastable bread.

And about the press - I've always found them quite fine. Even when I was papped by the Mail with a yum yum, it was quite fun.

James

MiceElf Fri 27-Sep-13 13:40:32

Sorry, it's just popped up. Thank you!

MiceElf Fri 27-Sep-13 13:40:03

Hope you're going to answer my question, posted a few days ago.

JamesMorton Fri 27-Sep-13 13:39:21

threesugars

Do you ever buy supermarket loaves?

If they're reduced to £0.06 then I am absolutely in favour of buying them and sticking them in the freezer for emergency toast! But no more.