Gransnet forums

Webchats

Sir David Jason webchat - Thurs 17 Oct 1-2pm

(63 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 02-Oct-13 13:49:40

Sir David Jason was born in 1940 in North London. His acting career has been long and varied: from his theatre work in the West End to providing voices for Mr Toad from The Wind in the Willows, Danger Mouse and The BFG; and from Open All Hours and The Darling Buds of May to his starring roles as Detective Inspector Frost in A Touch of Frost and, of course, Derek 'Del Boy' Trotter in Only Fools and Horses.

We are delighted to be doing a webchat with him to mark the publication of his long-awaited autobiography, My Life (and <whoop> we have a signed copy for someone who posts a question.)

Born the son of a Billingsgate market porter at the height of WW2, he spent his early life dodging bombs and bullies, both with impish good timing. He worked as an electrician before taking up acting and through a natural talent for making people laugh, found himself working with the leading lights of British comedy in the 1960s and '70s: Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Bob Monkhouse and Ronnie Barker. Barker would become a mentor to David, leading to hugely successful stints in Porridge and Open All Hours.

In 1981, kitted out with a sheepskin jacket, a flat cap, and a clapped-out Reliant Regal, David found the part that would capture the nation's hearts: the beloved Derek 'Del Boy' Trotter in Only Fools and Horses. He also enjoyed an award-winning spell as TV's favourite detective Jack Frost, took a country jaunt as Pop Larkin in The Darling Buds of May, and even voiced a crime-fighting cartoon rodent in the much-loved children's show Danger Mouse.

gillybob Wed 02-Oct-13 14:13:26

Hello Sir David, what an honour!

My question is in two parts; Out of the many varied roles you have played the one that probably springs to most peoples mind first will be that of "Del Boy" Trotter. I never tire of watching episodes of "Only Fools and Horses" and still find them extremely funny. I wonder do you have a favourite role and do you prefer playing comedy or straight characters best?
Thank you.

j08 Wed 02-Oct-13 14:31:29

Pre Christmas books coming thick and fast now.

Very nice too, of course. smile

Enviousamerican Wed 02-Oct-13 20:28:56

Sir David as an American fan I've seen most all of your work that's been available on DVD. My question is when working with Ronnie Barker who interrupted filming more often from laughing,your or him?

Wallygrom Thu 03-Oct-13 12:52:46

Sir David Jason - what an honour! Have loved everything you have ever done, a huge fan and tireless watching over and over again.....
You have clearly had an eventful and busy life and its taken you a long time to write your autobiography - what made you decide to do one now and how long did this take to write as I imagine you have had to be very selective i regard to content? Also if I may pose a final question - we all have the odd skeleton in our closets - do you have one that you would be prepared to divulge that isn't in the book?
thank you for making me laugh over the years and for bringing some happiness into my life x

Grannygee Thu 03-Oct-13 14:15:10

Now that you have a family of your own sir David, do you ever think of your 'TV' family life as Del boy and as big brother to Rodney? Is there anything from that family that you would bring to your true life family?

As for laughter, my strong memory of laughing at 'Only Fools' was when my husband was putting the children to bed one evening and allowed me to watch an episode undisturbed. It was the one where the inflatable "ladies' go up in smoke on the fire and Del says 'I told them not to have the vindaloo'! I slid off my seat and my husband came down to see what all the noise was about. I think you were so fabulous in that series and I loved you too in 'Open All Hours'. RIP Ronnie Barker and long live the tank top! I had a soft spot for Granville and wanted him to find love! Thank you for making us laugh so much xx

mazgoli Thu 03-Oct-13 14:56:43

I love your work - particularly 'Open All Hours' and would love to see an interview with you discussing your life and career.

Gardendisy Thu 03-Oct-13 15:35:40

Hi David,
Am I right in thinking that you were born in Edmonton ?
Were you born in North Middlesex hospital?
I love all of your work especially Only Fools and Horses, I will have to read your autobiography I shall add it to my Christmas list. Two last questions - in all of your acting career, which character did you enjoy playing most of all and which one is most like your true self?
Thankyou so much for all of the laughter you have been responsible for in our house.

Kind regards xx

shysal Thu 03-Oct-13 16:28:42

The roles you have played are so very diverse, and you seem to have avoided being type cast, which I find amazing. Do you have an immediate idea of how you are going to portray a new character or does it develop as you rehearse?

glammanana Thu 03-Oct-13 17:33:19

Hello Sir David,What an absolute pleasure to have you on our GN forum and thanks so much to you and your collegues for all the pleasure you have given to us over the years,my question is this why do you think there are no writers of comedy now as there where when "Open All Hours" "Porridge" and "Only Fools" all enjoyed by all my family if only you knew the places the DVD's had been played when my son's where away on a tour of duty you would be amazed.

Annie29 Thu 03-Oct-13 17:50:20

What has been your favourite role?

bobbinwinder Thu 03-Oct-13 21:38:00

Hello from down under, I have loved and enjoyed all the work you have done over the years. probably Granville is my favourite, but totally enjoyed the Frost series too (and the others of course but those two are my favourites).
My question is: Was there much ad-libbing done on any of your shows? and do you ever look back over your life and be quietly amazed at how much you have achieved and humbled at the amount of fans you have bought so much enjoyment to, and who love you and your talent. Just thinking about you brings a smile to my face, god bless smile

magwis Fri 04-Oct-13 07:58:04

What an amazing range of television series you have been involved in. Loved the Jack Frost character and also Pop Larkin was just brilliant. Do you have a favourite character?

J52 Fri 04-Oct-13 08:47:18

Sir David, hello. Like you I grew up in a London that was a very different place from today. When I watch your characterisations I think of the diverse, 'true Londoners' who lived in our street. Are your wonderful characters based on people you grew up surrounded by? They remind me of so much. Are they written a out in the book? Cannot wait to read it. Regards

nancy22 Fri 04-Oct-13 11:34:49

Hi there. You are a fantastic actor who can turn your hand to any role and I have to say I have loved them all. Have you got anything in the pipeline for doing any Christmas specials and who was the funniest person you were paired up with? Regards

grannyactivist Tue 08-Oct-13 23:41:02

I am one of the very few who didn't watch any of the programmes that your name has become synonymous with.........we had no TV. However, that situation changed some years ago when I was given a video of Frost as a Christmas gift and I confess to becoming hooked on the feisty Denton Detective.
My question is this: In what way (if any) did your comedy roles prepare you for playing Jack Frost?

Maniac Wed 09-Oct-13 17:10:36

We got our first TV in the mid 60s and I seem to remember a comedy series where you played a rather inept detective (or spy) We enjoyed it so much and the whole family were your devoted fans from then on.Have I imagined it? -never repeated or mentioned in your credits.
Did you enjoy your time living in Bristol -my home town for last 25 years?

mariesahelper Fri 11-Oct-13 13:02:54

would you say its too late to start acting career at 57, and what would you do to get started if it was you. Good news about granvill,i have started my Christmas lists, your at the top of my t.v. must watch specials for xmas, I hope that you make more than one, the country needs some nostalgic/up to date clean family comedy, to bring some smiles to faces in these hard times, and to bring together family viewing.

POGS Fri 11-Oct-13 18:32:38

Dear David.

How wonderful to be able to have this personal contact with you.

I am not an avid reader but I love everything that Tom Sharpe wrote. I know you were in 'Porterhouse Blue' but do you not think you would be suited to many of his other works such as 'The Throwback' or 'Vintage Stuff'. I think the humour in his writing is so you. Let's face it you are the master of comedy acting, not everyone can pull it off.

I think 'Only Fools and Horses' will be the favourite to many of us. The skill of the writer and the skill of the actor is epitomised in 'Only Fools'. The ability to make us laugh out loud one minute and then cry buckets in the next is just marvellous.

You Sir are simply a treasure and I hope your 'Open All Hours' Christmas special is a total success.

positivepam Fri 11-Oct-13 23:21:21

Sir David, I have to say it really is an honour to be able to talk to you. You have brought many hours of entertainment in many different ways and I have cried tears of joy and laughter and sorrow through the many different parts that you have brought to our screens. I am really looking forward to the updated "Open All Hours" that you are bringing back to us and so happy to hear that Gladys Emmanuel will be there also. I am sure it must have brought some happy and sad memories and thoughts of other talented comedic actors that are no longer with us.
I hope you continue giving us your wonderful talent as long as you can and of course want to.
Have you any new parts in the pipeline and could I ask what if any sort of role would you not consider taking on?
My very Best Wishes to you and again, thank you so much for the many years you have given to us and to personally thank you for helping me through some sad times in my life when I wanted to cry tears of sadness and you made me laugh and cry tears of pure joy. For that, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. XX.

dockacre Wed 16-Oct-13 09:29:50

Hello David,

I knew you through my cousin Raymond Jeffers. I have a photo of us all in Raymond's garden in North Finchley.

He often speaks about you and when you were young. If you would like his address, please email me at: [email protected]

All the best,

Jane Plumb

joannapiano Thu 17-Oct-13 09:23:47

Hello Sir David. I come from Edmonton too.
My husband is a retired Met officer and is always watching repeats of "Frost". My question is, how is your real-life brother, who featured as the collator "PC Trigg", in the series?

golfpro Thu 17-Oct-13 12:26:04

Hello David
What challenges do you face being an older father? Do you find people are for the most part accepting or have you faced criticism? And moving on from that what is the best thing in your opinion about being an older father?

LyndaW Thu 17-Oct-13 12:30:53

Hello David (or should I call you Sir David?)

Do you like being called Sir, or do you feel uncomfortably formal? It's an honour of course but I'm not sure how I'd feel about it in everyday life!

Congratulations on a magnificent career. We are big Only Fools fans in our house. My husband always teased my middle son of looking a bit like Rodney actually! Now he's older he's able to take the ribbing of course!

In your career, what has been your highlight so far?

And on another query altogether, what did you think when it came out that you had a 'starring role' in the new Bridget Jones Diary?

copycat Thu 17-Oct-13 12:31:28

Hi David! If you don't mind me asking, when and why did you get knighted?