Gransnet forums

Webchats

Crime writing...Val McDermid Q&A

(32 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 22-Oct-13 15:43:09

Award-winning crime writer Val McDermid is a Number One bestseller, translated into more than 30 languages, with over two million copies sold in the UK and over 10 million worldwide. She has written 26 bestselling novels.

In 2010, she was awarded the prestigious CWA Cartier Diamond Dagger. This followed her induction into the Hall of Fame at the ITV3 Crime Thriller Awards in 2009, the same year in which she was elected to an Honorary Fellowship at St Hilda's College, Oxford. She has won many awards internationally, including the CWA Gold Dagger for best crime novel of the year and the LA Times Book of the Year Award.

The popular ITV series Wire in the Blood, based on McDermid’s books and starring Robson Green as Tony Hill ran for an impressive six series. She was born in Kirkcaldy and graduated in English at St Hilda’s College, Oxford – the first from a Scottish state school to do so - before going on to be an award winning journalist for sixteen years. Her first novel was published in 1987. She's a lifelong Raith Rovers Football Club supporter and at the start of June 2011 was appointed as a Director on the board.

We are delighted to be able to offer a copy of her latest book - Cross and Burn, the eagerly awaited new Carol Jordan and Tony Hill thriller - to someone who posts on the thread.

Add your questions for Val before Tuesday 5th November - and we will be publishing her answers shortly after.

annodomini Tue 22-Oct-13 16:12:55

Hi Val. I hear that you are going to re-work Northanger Abbey in a modern setting. What did you think when you were first asked to do this? Do you think Jane Austen's gentle mockery of the Gothic genre will suit your particular style?

milkybar Tue 22-Oct-13 16:28:39

I just looked on your website and saw you have written your first children's book - called My Granny is a Pirate. I want to know more. I think my grandchildren would be very impressed if I could be one too

louella Tue 22-Oct-13 16:32:04

I have always imagined it takes a particular type of mindset to write crime. Do you agree? What is it about the genre that so appeals?

annodomini Tue 22-Oct-13 17:06:27

Me again, being greedy. Who is your own favourite crime writer?

Anne58 Wed 23-Oct-13 00:20:48

Hello Val,

Both my husband and I very much enjoy your books. We read a lot of crime fiction, and have (on occasions!) spotted flaws in the story, but never with yours.

I expect you have been asked this so many times that it has become boring, but how do you plan each novel? Do you start with a sort of plan of events and then build it from there or what?

PS Enjoyed your Desert Island Discs!

sunseeker Wed 23-Oct-13 10:23:42

Do you set aside a specific time for writing or do you write whenever the inspiration strikes?

Do you use a computer or stick to a typewriter?

Do you do a rough outline of where you want the story to go or do you let the characters lead you?

gillybob Wed 23-Oct-13 16:01:58

Hello Val I am always intrigued as to where crime writers get their material from. Do you/they really have a hotline to the police? Do you read stacks of crime reports or have meetings with the local coroners office? Or is it (as I suspect) the result of having a bit of a warped imagination?

Stansgran Wed 23-Oct-13 21:42:13

I think Ian Rankin said female crime writers were far more bloodthirsty than male. Do you think this is true?
And may I ask a second question? What do you think of Facebook showing a beheading? Isn't imagination far more vivid than a factual image? That's three. Sorry.

jill36 Thu 24-Oct-13 10:55:11

I love to 'lose myself' in a good crime thriller. Val your imagination amazes me. Do you give yourself nightmares?

CharlotteGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 24-Oct-13 10:56:17

Hi Val

As a fan from the old days, I'd love to know whether there might ever be any more Lindsay Gordon or Kate Brannigan books?

nancy22 Thu 24-Oct-13 10:59:46

Hi Val, how do you keep coming up with ideas for books that keep your readers hooked?

mazgoli Thu 24-Oct-13 13:04:27

I very much admire your work and would like to know how you keep coming up with new ideas.

bamba Thu 24-Oct-13 14:48:25

Thanks for scaring the hell out of me all these years. Now for something to put a shiver down your spine - I notice it is now possible to gain an online diploma in the Psychology of Criminal Profiling (no experience needed). Can you imagine how many wanna-be Tony Hills will be roaming free? Sleep well.

GrannySue2010 Thu 24-Oct-13 15:46:07

Hi Val
Will Tony Hill and Carol Jordon ever get it together - he really needs someone to look after him?

nanahil Thu 24-Oct-13 17:09:51

When your novels are dramatised do the actors/actresses portraying your characters physically match the ones in your imagination?

TanyaD Thu 24-Oct-13 17:53:46

I was wondering if you find one of your novels particularly fascinating, standing out from the rest, Val? A novel of your own that you would reread occasionally (and you probably do)?

Iam64 Thu 24-Oct-13 18:21:36

I love crime novels, and the Scottish group of writers are particularly enjoyable. How do you respond to the comment that women crime writers produce books that more bloodthirsty than those by men. Do you agree with that comment.

Lizziehop2 Thu 24-Oct-13 21:13:18

Love your books Val and read them all. But, just how did you decide to write 'those type of books' rather than sloppy romantic novels?

laidback Thu 24-Oct-13 23:07:57

Hello Val, I haven't read your books although I have read much crime fiction, I like Harlan Coben and scandinavian thrillers, Nesbo and that ilk. Which of your books would you recommend I start with? Thanks.

sassy60 Fri 25-Oct-13 09:13:12

Hi, if you could be a character in one of your own books who would you be and why? You are a terrific writer and I am a fan of your books. I would also like to know if you enjoyed the t.v. adaptation of Wire in the Blood or would you have done things differently?

Thank you.

purplehairstreak Fri 25-Oct-13 18:24:00

Hi Val - I've only recently started reading your books so am delighted that there are plenty more goodies to come. I started with a Kate Brannigan/ "Star Struck" and was hooked in because you write with a strong sense of place. Living near Manchester, I was able to picture many of the locations you described. Same with settings on the Fife coast and Derbyshire Peaks (recently read "Wire in the Blood" and it offered graphic descriptions of real places). My question is about this sense of place - do you find that places/locations inspire you and you set the story around them? Which comes first - plot or place?

Charleygirl Sat 26-Oct-13 16:14:29

Do you think that the very first book that you wrote is your personal favourite and do you think that your style improved over the years?

Agus Sun 27-Oct-13 13:25:03

Hello Val, I think any questions I wanted to ask will be covered by previous posts. I only have one ask - please keep up with me and write faster.

I love your books and always look forward to new ones arriving. As I also read a lot of American crime thrillers too, the added bonus of your books is actually identifying with the location.

All the best

NanRuth Mon 28-Oct-13 11:00:01

Hi Val - I am a wanna-be writer but am defeated by the need to maintain suspense and control the reader's journey toward a story's surprise ending.

How do you know you are giving enough clues to keep readers enthralled without giving the game away?

Do you have an army of readers testing your reveals? As in "Sprung! 3 out of 4 readers guessed the ending too soon" or "Bother! I haven't given enough clues to maintain the readers' interest"

Or is this why you're a famous writer and I'm still a secretary LOL!