Gransnet forums

Webchats

Fay Weldon webchat - Weds 27 Nov, 4-5pm

(60 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 13-Nov-13 17:28:25

We're very excited indeed that Fay Weldon - one of Britain's best-loved authors - will be joining us at GNHQ for a live webchat.

Fay’s credits as writer include classic novels like The Life and Loves of a She Devil and Puffball, and the pilot episode of the original TV series Upstairs Downstairs. In 2001 she was awarded a CBE for services to literature. She has seven sons and stepsons and one stepdaughter, and lives on a hill in Dorset.

Her latest novel, The New Countess, another joyous tale of manners and morals, commoners and countesses, (see below for special offer) has just been published and is the final instalment in the Love and Inheritance trilogy.

Add your questions for Fay here.

Also...we have 50 copies of Habits of the House, the first novel in Fay Weldon's Love & Inheritance trilogy to give-away. The first 50 gransnetters to email [email protected] with their full name and postal address will be sent a copy. Closing date 30th November.

Plus we have an exclusive Gransnet half price offer on the latest Fay Weldon novel. To order The New Countess for £7.50* simply quote code 9PX when placing your order by phone, email or post to:

E-mail: [email protected]
Call: 01256 302699
Write to: Customer Services, Macmillan Distribution, Brunel Road, Houndmills, RG21 6XS

*P&P not included. Closing date 31st December 2013.

FayWeldon Wed 27-Nov-13 16:44:26

whenim64

Hi Fay. Do you have any more of your novels due to be filmed or televised? She Devil was my favourite series of your novel. Did you ever think of writing a sequel? I would be fascinated to learn how the rest of Ruth's life panned out, as she planned to make her husband as miserable as he had made her grin Such a rich landscape to plough, eh?

A company is currently trying to set up the Love and Inheritance trilogy for filming, but these things take years and years. I've been trying to work out a sequel to She Devil for a long time, but society has changed so much since it was written, the same rules simply do not apply.

FayWeldon Wed 27-Nov-13 16:45:40

grapefruit

I also wanted to ask, if things hadn't worked out for you as a writer, what do you think you would be doing now? Or what would like to be doing?

I always wanted to be a mill owner in the north of England, having read a lot of sagas when I was a child. failing that later on I thought I wanted to run ICI, nowadays I'd be more interested in running Google. I am a power freak!

FayWeldon Wed 27-Nov-13 16:47:42

flopsybunny

Another feminism question. I read somewhere about your views on a patriarchal society. Do you think this has changed much over the last generation? I like to think that it will be different for our granddaughters than it was for our daughters but I fear this may be wishful thinking

I think society has changed enormously over the last two generations - that's 50 years. Women have choice now, whether to marry, not to marry, whether to have babies, not to have babies and so on. The only choice they don't have, which they used to have, is not to go out to work. I think women and men are much happier in their personal lives than they used to be, but we all work much harder. We have to.

FayWeldon Wed 27-Nov-13 16:50:21

iceandaslice

Afternoon Fay, thank you for joining us! I just wanted to say thank you for showing that women of a certain age can still achieve brilliant things and carry on working. Do you ever experience ageism in your industry?

When you get to a certain age there are some jobs which get difficult to do. I think if you're a nurse you should be able to retire when you're 60 (if not before!). Jobs like writing you can, thank goodness, keep on doing because mostly it's sedentary and the only bit of you that has to work properly is your brian. Long may we, of the older generation, continue while being grateful that we live in the computer age.

FayWeldon Wed 27-Nov-13 16:54:08

grapefruit

Has GNHQ shown you the new tea towel - which do you think is you? grin

I'm looking at the tea towel even as I speak. I think I'm all of them, except thin or sporty! I'm not particularly a jet-setting gran either - I like home. It's extraordinary how many skills everybody has. Icing cakes was always something I'd like to do, but that too has become a professional thing.

FayWeldon Wed 27-Nov-13 16:59:38

pasttheyardarm

Hi Fay! Are you a fan of Downton Abbey? Or do you feel like it ripped off Upstairs Downstairs a bit? And why do you think people so so fascinated with class, even today?

I think even today people are fascinated by class. 100 years ago everybody had both rights and obligations. If you were the lady of the household in the Dilburn family, Mrs Beeton in her household management would tell her that she had to work hard, she had to set an example, not get drunk, go to bed early, and in return she expected to be waited on. The head parlour maid would expect to have her cup of tea brought to her by the under-parlour maid. You knew where you were. It was a settled society. You look back and think it's terrible, but what we have now, which still does not give us a proper class mobility, is worse now than it was a generation ago. In Henry VIII's time the butcher's boy could rise to be Head of Affairs, such a thing nowadays just doesn't happen. How do other people see it?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 27-Nov-13 17:00:36

Thanks so so much to Fay - it's been fabulous having her here (especially modelling our tea towel grin and looking forward to digging into the new book

FayWeldon Wed 27-Nov-13 17:01:58

I hope you all find the digging rewarding! I really loved writing the trilogy and it's really nice as a reward to be able to talk to Gransnet.

notgrandma Wed 27-Nov-13 17:26:52

Hi Loved your books which seemed really on my wave length when i read them quite a few years ago , I am now promising myself to reread and catch up with your new one . Hope you are keeping well and enjoying life.