Gransnet forums

Webchats

Fast Exercise with Michael Mosley webchat

(81 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 30-Dec-13 10:15:15

Exercise is good for just about everything – you stay fitter, younger, and stronger. But how should you exercise? And how much?

Science journalist, television presenter and author of bestselling book The Fast Diet, Doctor Michael Mosley drops in on Gransnet to answer your questions on Fast Exercise, how a short burst of high intensity training (HIT) will help you get fitter, stronger and better toned in just a few minutes a day.

In his new book, Fast Exercise; The Simple Secret of High Intensity Training, Dr Michael Mosley, a reluctant exerciser, and super-fit health journalist Peta Bee show you how to safely do High Intensity Training and get the benefits – whatever your fitness level. Drawing on cutting edge research they show why high intensity training can be more effective than much longer periods of low-impact exercise. They also offer a range of workouts, of varying intensity – there is something here for everyone. As this fascinating book demonstrates, when it comes to exercise, less can be more.

Add your questions to Michael Mosley and Peta Bee below - they will be here to answer them on 13 January at 2pm.

jinglbellrocks Tue 31-Dec-13 18:16:31

Yes. It could be if you got it wrong.

Tegan Tue 31-Dec-13 18:20:02

Perhaps if you attached the weights to your feet that would hold you down in case of a sudden accidental trajectory over the dining room table.

Ariadne Wed 01-Jan-14 07:08:24

grin

Nelliemaggs Fri 03-Jan-14 11:27:51

With regard to the 5:2 diet regime, I do fine on my two diet days but when I start eating normally (not overdoing it) I get cramps and constipation and it takes at least
another two days to return to my usual regular self. Any suggestions?

Nelliemaggs Fri 03-Jan-14 11:30:09

I should add that lack of exercise is not the cause as I swim/walk/exercise at least 5 days out of 7. Should also add that I am nearly 72.

Cagsy Fri 03-Jan-14 12:20:53

I'm 62, fortunately not got any knee, hip, joint problems - yet! I work full time but as it's from home I don't get out much and certainly don't exercise enough. How do I go from being fairly sedentary and overweight to someone a bit fitter & lighter given I have little time, apart from working about 50 hours per week I do voluntary work most weekends and when not love to spend time with my family.
Any ideas on how to motivate myself gladly received as I'm actually quite happy being a slob, and love cooking and feeding people - as healthily as I can mind you.
I think the 5:2 diet sounds great but still haven't managed the will power to try it, pathetic!
Oh and the idea of strenuous exercise has already brought me out in a sweat
Tegan.

Tegan Fri 03-Jan-14 13:03:56

Well that's used up a few calories Cagsy! I spoke to someone on a bus a few weeks back [as you do] that had bought a treadmill for @ £100 [which is quite good for a treadmill]. She keeps it in the bedroom and it folds up when she's not using it [not by itself of course]. It sounded interesting cause I was quite taken with the treadmill at my gym before my foot started hurting [maybe that's what caused it!]. I was quiteshocked at how expensive exercise bikes were but you can often get them second hand.

Wallygrom Sat 04-Jan-14 08:24:41

I have seen this before and there does seem to be some scientific basis behind it, however small bursts of fast exercise for some people perhaps with heart problems surely is dangerous? As a back sufferer any exercise other than swimming and walking appears to trigger off major problems for me.....I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions for me in particular

cazz19 Sat 04-Jan-14 13:47:38

im disabled exercise is bad for my health dieting bad for my brain it gives me a headache ,if i listened to my doctor i would be on one lettuce leaf a day a and iv only got a bit of a belly, so my resolution is not going to listen to anyone who says do this diet or that exercise, all i can say to those who say it and make money out of it is; do it your self

Hooligran Sat 04-Jan-14 20:45:40

I have dodgy knees and can't do anything that involves "jumping" of any sort. Like the idea of short bursts but not sure what's available for me to do.

Purpledaffodil Sat 04-Jan-14 22:03:17

Remember reading piece by Andrew Marr which told how he had tried intensive bursts of exercise on his rowing machine.....then he had a serious stroke. Bit off putting that.

Lyndysim Sun 05-Jan-14 09:55:22

I have dodgy knees and onset of arthritis. I am 62 and have been going to water running classes at the local swimming pool for the last 2 years.. I have noticed classes operating in other localities.
It's great, no pressure on joints, and a good workout. Aquarhythmics classes are also beneficial for aching joints. You just do what you are capable of, and it keeps you more mobile. All ages and sizes go and we also have a laugh!
Happy New year!

gettingonabit Sun 05-Jan-14 16:36:11

I'm sceptical about this, as I am about the 5:2. Losing weight, keeping it off and becoming and staying fit is not rocket science. It does not require the input of a celebrity doctor or a fitness guru. It does, however, require focus, motivation and discipline. Many of us do not have these qualities in large amounts, however.

If you want to do it, you will, regardless of faddy regimes.

Tegan Sun 05-Jan-14 16:42:54

I understand the principles of the 5:2 diet and am looking forward to doing it. But I'm not understanding the exercise one.

hummingbird Sun 05-Jan-14 17:52:13

I remember seeing Michael M doing this intensive exercise on TV. It looked as if he was about to pass out, but he only did it for about a minute, so perhaps it is do-able. Does this mean that all those theories about 20 mins per day etc are all old hat now? (digging out that skipping rope...) hmm

redandyellow Mon 06-Jan-14 09:35:31

I hope it's ok to ask a question (please!!!) about the fast diet before I get onto the exercise bit. My question has two parts.

1) Can you give me some ideas for breakfast. I need something I can eat on the run ideally but even if it's not I don't like porridge or eggs.

2) I can deal with feeling hungry on a fast day, but often when I haven't eaten for a while I become very nauseous and a bit light headed (but the nausea - which is like travel sickness feeling - is the worst bit). This has made it impossible for me to stick to 500 calories but I feel sure there must be a way round it and would be so grateful for your advice. Thank you

grammargran Mon 06-Jan-14 09:43:59

Golly, there are a lot of young grans here! I'm 74, pretty active, still have my own knees and hips which are in reasonably good working order. I must admit the short intensive exercise burst looks good to me because I find the slower longer regimes so bloomin' boring! We have in the house a step machine and exercise bike and unless I'm hooked up to a talking book or BBC iPlayer I don't last three minutes. I go to an exercise class once a week, but my main exercise is the constant up and down stairs due to my fairly disorganised method of running the house. So I suppose my question to Dr Mosley would be - the eight minute workout - is the 4-week plan for beginners as outlined in today's Times suitable for a slightly overweight 74-year old with controlled blood pressure and the odd palpitation, or should it be toned down somewhat? (I'm coming over all early January let's release my inner radiant self, yet again ............)

norahbatty Mon 06-Jan-14 11:24:37

Hello Michael I'm afraid it's another fast diet question. I find even if I eat fruit, veg, yogurt etc all day long I still feel hungry and only carbs satisfy me. How can I make that work on a fast day?

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 07-Jan-14 09:16:19

Just to add that Peta Bee will also be joining Michael for the webchat! (see description in OP)

chishandflipper Wed 08-Jan-14 14:38:36

How does exercising work on a fast day (I find it makes me hungry at the best of times)

And can I also ask - what is the recommended calorie intake for a woman on a NON fast day? I have heard that if you don't eat enough on those days your body thinks it is starving and you lose less weight but not sure if that is true or not

goldengirl Wed 08-Jan-14 15:41:07

I've not read the book[s] but have tried exercising on my own and find it very difficult after a few days - boring in fact. I had to do physio exercises after semi dislocating my knee and it was very hard to do alone even though it was good for me. My weekly Pilates class is much better and I'm much better for it and I swim in the summer. This has encouraged me to do more walking which I'm quite happy to do alone as it is my 'thinking' time and also especially if there is a purpose like visiting the local market. I eat well but not in between meals and to my delight have lost weight.

Michael: Do you ever find exercise a chore?

Peta: I'm afraid the word 'super fit' puts me off; it's something that I'll never be and I have to admit that getting sweaty is just not me - a gentle glow is fine though. I just want to be sensibly active and healthy - which I like to think I currently am.

Both: do you believe you will keep it up for the rest of your lives?

aprilinparis Fri 10-Jan-14 10:35:51

I do a form of aqua fit which has some built in intense bursts of activity. It has helped my cronky knees because the water is supportive but it still raises the heart rate. People seem to rate the 5/2 diet although I haven't tried it myself.
Have you all done it? New to posting so a bit slow.

susanjean Fri 10-Jan-14 12:02:49

I'm a fitness instructor and I've been very anti the high intensity craze - reading this has prompted me to post an article I wrote last year on my blog, you can read it here: bodyshapeprogram.co.uk/blog/high-intensity-training-hope-2014-sees-the-back-of-this-fad/

LyndaW Fri 10-Jan-14 12:57:18

I haven't been very well recently but am slowly building up my strength again. How fit do I need to be before I embark on something like this? I suppose this is for Peta?

Hansmum Fri 10-Jan-14 13:17:53

I strongly recommend deep water aquafit classes at your local pool - you will wear a flotation corset, and will be taking really good exercise without any stress on feet or knees. I have just come back from a class and feel thoroughly stretched, without any damage to my arthritic feet.