Gransnet forums

Webchats

Paul McKenna - webchat Wed 15th Jan 12-1pm

(64 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 10-Jan-14 14:55:57

Saying you're going to lose weight is one thing, but sticking to a diet or exercise program - as most of us know - is quite another <sigh, why is sticking to a coffee and cake date so much easier?>

While we at Gransnet most assuredly do not have the answer to this, Paul McKenna, who we're delighted to be having in on Wed 15th to answer some questions, may well do. Emotional eating is the number-one cause of obesity in the Western world and in his new book Freedom from Emotional Eating, Paul tackles this very sticky <sorry thinking of toffee pudding again...> tricky issue.

Do join us on Wed but in the meantime feel free to ask a question in advance.

sunseeker Fri 10-Jan-14 15:16:43

Are there some people who it is impossible to hypnotise? Some years ago I went to a hypnotist for help with my insomnia. It didn't work! She told me at the end of a session I should feel very relaxed but I never did. My muscles were always tense even though I tried to relax. I confess to being something of a control freak - is it possible for someone to unconsciously "fight" the hypnosis to the extent they never "go under".

Anne58 Fri 10-Jan-14 16:33:23

Quite a few years a I had a course of hypnotherapy for bad eczema, which worked (after having tried all the medical alternatives, inc. a referral to a consultant dermatologist) my therapist has since retired and most others are quite a distance away.

I would like to give hypnotherapy a try for some other things, and was wondering how effective books can be? I know you have published some, but can they really be as effective as face to face sessions?

Tegan Fri 10-Jan-14 16:44:50

The best way to get a power nap during the day is a Paul McKenna cd [the stop smoking one is the best for that]. A few minutes into it and I'm away with the fairies, only to wake up at the end feeling as if I've had hours of sleep. Although I did used to wake up and have a cigarette when I was using it to stop doing so [I have stopped now]. I haven't tried any of the other ones but would like to know which would be the best one to stop me being a worrier.

Anne58 Fri 10-Jan-14 17:48:01

I'd forgotten about Paul's CD's!

Wallygrom Fri 10-Jan-14 18:25:50

I may be a cynic but can hypnotism REALLY help me? I know so many people who have been hypnotized and it hasn't done a thing other than cost them a lot of money. Why is this? Sorry to sound so cynical - perhaps you could come and change my view on this by a personal visit?! lol

Galen Fri 10-Jan-14 18:51:30

I'm a qualified medical hypnotherapist, and as such am very against the use of hypnotism for entertainment purposes!
Would you like to comment?

cazthebookworm Fri 10-Jan-14 23:20:40

I have a friend who used hypnosis to make her believe she had a gastic band fitted. It worked for her and she lost all the weight she wanted to, and listens to a CD if, and when necessary, to keep her on track. I have always been fascinated by the subject of hypnosis but sceptical and convinced that I would not succumb to a hypnotist trying to put me into a trance, or whatever is they do. Do you think anyone can be hypnotised, even me ?? [Hmm]

Florrie64 Sat 11-Jan-14 10:21:38

I have been a fussy eater all my life and would love to be able to enjoy a much wider range of foods. It may sound a trivial problem but it has all sorts of impacts on my life. I have missed out on going to dinner with friends (sometimes even feigning illness at the last minute) and such like because I am embarrassed to admit that there isn't much I like and don't want them to have to go to the trouble of cooking something different just for me. I have never been abroad because I am worried that I wouldn't be able to eat the local food leading to more embarrassment. It seems to be more about texture than taste in my case. Is it possible to hypnotise someone to enable them to enjoy all types of food?

whenim64 Sat 11-Jan-14 11:24:09

Paul, I got your book yesterday and have tried some of the exercises on the CD and DVD. I have used your CDs for relaxation and they work for me, so I'm optimistic about losing weight. Can you give me some advice about sugar addiction, please? Is there something that can be done subconsciously to break the habit of a lifetime?

Grannyknot Sat 11-Jan-14 19:45:19

Paul, thank you for coming to chat to GNetters.

Some time ago I bought your weight loss CD for my daughter and I (I needed to lose a bit of weight and she was desperate to lose some weight). I honestly can't remember whether or not it worked for me, and I know my daughter has gone on to try other things (e.g. eating less of certain foods and exercising more!) I wonder whether weight loss by hypnosis is just like other methods where people 'yo-yo' in and out - e.g. slimming programmes where people sign up, relapse, and sign up again. Or put another way - do you need 'refresher' hynotist sessions?

I am interested in the concept of emotional eating though, I know I do it smile so will read with interest.

Grannyknot Sat 11-Jan-14 20:02:21

Hynotist (I noticed) that should be 'refresher hypnosis sessions' grin

Linken Sun 12-Jan-14 01:25:43

I am an emotional eater who loves good food and find it very hard to break the cycle of overeating. Looking back I have been this way for most of my adult life. The more I eat the worse I feel so the more I eat – oh yes, I’m sure that sounds familiar. My weight does yo-yo although I know how much better I feel, physically and emotionally when I have lost weight. For me it’s not necessary that I don’t know what I need to do, it’s the doing it, the hardest part of a lot of things! I must say I am cynical that the answer can be found in a book though would love to be proved wrong. I worked as part of a community mental health team for 23 years until I retired last year and I think that is part of the reason for my cynicism. For me it’s not necessary that I don’t know what I need to do, it’s the doing it! I will log in on Wednesday in the hope that I can be convinced otherwise. Please CONVINCE me Paul.

weevil Mon 13-Jan-14 11:43:25

I am trying to learn the difference between actually being hungry and THINKING I am hungry. There are times when I just need something sweet though. How can I move away from this?

Spidergran5 Tue 14-Jan-14 12:56:04

Hi Paul.

My 8yo DGD appears to have an eating problem. It's not that she emotionally eats - it's that she doesn't eat. She's a very slow eater, picking up small grains, the crumbs and chips away at her meal. By the time everyone else has finished, it looks like she hasn't even touched her food. She also does this thing where she pushes it around on the plate, so it looks like she's eating it.

I think she's doing it for attention. She's relatively fine when she's at my house - I can get her to eat foods she would reject at home (my daughter just doesn't put it on her plate if she doesn't like it - so she can go days without any greens!). I also restrict stacks to only fruits, no crisps, chocolate bars etc so she's hungry for dinner.

I only have her at the weekends though, so it's limited what I can do. How can I get the parents on board? Would hypnosis work on a child? How can it be resolved before her teens, when the real problems start?

LyndaW Tue 14-Jan-14 20:38:42

Hi Paul, I haven't tried one of your books before. I do have an issue with sweet things though. If there is anything that would be considered a 'treat' in the house, I can't stop myself from eating it. Sadly this means no bulk buying biscuits that are on offer just in case someone pops in for tea. Can't handle the temptation. Wish I could be one of those people who have treats in the cupboard just in case but if they're there, they're not there for very long! I imagine this is fairly common. How would you suggest I get round this?

whenim64 Wed 15-Jan-14 09:34:28

I bought your book a few days ago and there's quite a lot to take in from the CD and DVD, so I'm reading the book in fits and starts and listening to the CD trance twice each day whilst I get into this different way of addressing eating and hunger. I've heard all the track once, and slept through most of it since then, even though I am sat up in a chair.

I find if I don't watch the DVD and do the exercises early in the day, I start putting it off and then the negative self talk starts, which I guess is partly why you've included the Self-Sabotage track on the CD. Is there a need for some people to use the exercises more than you advise, or am I just not sounding as committed as you'd expect? I don't want to be one of the 3/10 that just never seem to keep to the plan!

threesugars Wed 15-Jan-14 09:39:30

Paul, as you can probably tell by my username I've got a bit of a sweet tooth (I have cut down to 2 in my tea now - still 3 in my coffee though!)

Have people who have found a solution through your books managed to stick with it? I find that's always the stumbling block. It's one thing to kick a habit and keep it up for a month or two but maintaining it is the difficulty.

Also (personal question alert) I wanted to ask what your own foodie vice is? What do you struggle to say no to?

grin

LilianaZg Wed 15-Jan-14 10:08:41

Hi Paul. I have a problem with obesity, since i am not good in dealing with stress. a way when i start to get kg is my nervous eating. First time was when i had very bad conversation with my boyfriend, and since he was violent and tried to degrade and pronounce worse people better than me, and I gained a lot from that experience kilos.
I am still having that problem in my life, fighting for rightnesness instead to life happy life. It is important to me to be right and to be as such recognised. when things goes to that direction, i somehow starts to be in fear and am walking a lot, thinking a lot and eahing smile)
I know it is not good for me, but his is somehow
In few words that is my eating problem.

kind regards for your answer.
Ljiljana

nanananana Wed 15-Jan-14 11:19:22

Hello Paul

I am trying to lose two stone and have cut down on calories and upped the exercise. But I think about food all the time and I am sure this is probably making me hungrier. What can I do?

minette Wed 15-Jan-14 11:20:15

I find myself comfort eating when I am feeling a bit down and also when I am a bit bored. How can I avoid this?

feliccity Wed 15-Jan-14 11:22:48

I had hypnotism for panic attacks and although the practitioner was someone who had had success with a number of people I know, found that it just didn't work for me (I really wanted it to)

Why is this and how can I make myself more susceptible (if that is the right word) to any future treatment? I like the sound of your book but given my history wonder if there is any point in trying

chocoholic Wed 15-Jan-14 11:24:51

I am absolutely hooked on sweet foods. I can resist other "naughties" such as cheese or cream or chips but offer me cake or especially chocolate and my will power flies out of the window. How can I ever lose weight? I am trying so hard but it's so very difficult

TheGingerbreadMan Wed 15-Jan-14 11:29:30

Hello Paul! I work in an office, which requires me to sit in front of a screen all day. I don't seem to find the time to leave my desk unless I'm getting a drink or going to the loo, and find myself grazing throughout the day. I'm fine when I work from home though - I have my main meals and barely any snacks! How do I stop myself from overeating in the office?

CarbQueen89 Wed 15-Jan-14 11:35:50

It's in the press that the obesity situation is worse than we first thought - how do you think the government should tackle this?