Gransnet forums

Webchats

Ken Hom webchat Thursday 30 January 2-3pm

(79 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 16-Jan-14 16:27:09

Celebrity chef, author and TV personality Ken Hom is acknowledged as one of the world's leading experts on authentic Chinese and Asian cuisine and this year celebrates his 30th anniversary as the UK's best loved chef.

An opportunistic meeting with Madhur Jaffrey at a party in New York in 1982 resulted in Madhur recommending Ken to the BBC. Within a year he was offered his own TV series, debuting in 1984 and as they say the rest is history! Ken has been credited with almost single-handedly introducing the nation to authentic Chinese food and the delights of using a wok.

Since then Ken has never been far from our TV screens, recently starring in his own TV series and is a regular guest on BBC Saturday Kitchen. In the last 18 months Ken has sold over 14 million chilled ready meals and over 2.6 million portions of egg fried rice - enough for everyone in Greater Manchester!

In 2009 he was an awarded with an honorary OBE for 'services to culinary arts'. Ken has published over 80 books worldwide, has worked as a consultant for hotels and restaurants and cooked personally for presidents, prime ministers, celebrities and royalty.

To download a copy of Ken’s 30th anniversary booklet please visit: www.kenhom.co.uk

Ken will be answering your questions on Thursday 30 January 2-3pm.

Galen Fri 31-Jan-14 12:59:44

Look forward to that.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 31-Jan-14 12:42:05

Ken gave us a couple of signed copies of his 30th anniversary booklet so we've picked two winners at random.

<drum roll>

Congrats to rosesarered and galen. Please check your emails for details.

pipparj Thu 30-Jan-14 14:53:27

Hi Ken, love your books and have (almost) all f them I think! Do you have grandchildren? if so do your grandchildren like Chinese food and have you passed on your cooking skills to them.

KenHom Thu 30-Jan-14 14:52:40

Happy Chinese New Year, lots of love, Ken

KenHom Thu 30-Jan-14 14:52:14

Gogogran

Do you celebrate all the customs of all the places you've lived? Thanksgiving, Christmas, Chinese NEw Year etc? Which is your favourite tradition and why?

Chinese New Year is my favourite as that's what I grew up with, but I take every opportunity to celebrate wherever I am.

Gogogran Thu 30-Jan-14 14:51:14

Do you celebrate all the customs of all the places you've lived? Thanksgiving, Christmas, Chinese NEw Year etc? Which is your favourite tradition and why?

KenHom Thu 30-Jan-14 14:50:55

KChristy

Kung hei fat choi! How are you celebrating Chinese New Year?

Having dinner with friends at A.Wong in Victoria.

KChristy Thu 30-Jan-14 14:50:13

Kung hei fat choi! How are you celebrating Chinese New Year?

KenHom Thu 30-Jan-14 14:50:01

threesugars

I have quite a sweet tooth. What is your favourite traditional Chinese dessert? Do you find traditional British desserts too heavy?

I've never had a sweet tooth, what I tend to do is to serve fresh fruit and the end of the meal. It's always what my mum did.

KenHom Thu 30-Jan-14 14:49:16

golfpro

I like to prepare my meals in advance - what would you recommend as a dish I can get ready during the day and then just put together in minutes once guests have arrived?

There are a number of braised dishes, like braised spare ribs which are delicious and easy to make. It reheats very well. You'll find quite a number of dishes like that in my complete Chinese cookbook.

threesugars Thu 30-Jan-14 14:48:49

I have quite a sweet tooth. What is your favourite traditional Chinese dessert? Do you find traditional British desserts too heavy?

KenHom Thu 30-Jan-14 14:47:56

hazelS

I watched a documentary the other week, which said if you’re planning on reheating rice, you need to cool it down as soon as it’s cooked by rinsing it under the cold tap - does this not just ruin the rice? How strict are you about reheating rice? My Chinese friends aren’t bothered and think it’s just scaremongering… they said you need to leave rice for a day before making decent fried rice.

Your Chinese friends are entirely right and I've never done that and I'm still alive to tell the tale.

golfpro Thu 30-Jan-14 14:47:34

I like to prepare my meals in advance - what would you recommend as a dish I can get ready during the day and then just put together in minutes once guests have arrived?

KenHom Thu 30-Jan-14 14:46:26

twiggy

What do you think about using endangered animals in dishes - like shark fins? Is it wrong? I try to keep an open mind but I think it would put me off really.

I'm totally against it.

KenHom Thu 30-Jan-14 14:45:33

kaybh

Can i have another question? If so... What would you recommend as a good easy meal to cook with a 4 year old? Surprisingly she doesn’t mind a bit of spice…

Four year old I wouldn't do spice, I would just do a simple stir fry dish with her favourite vegetables and garlic.

hazelS Thu 30-Jan-14 14:45:32

I watched a documentary the other week, which said if you’re planning on reheating rice, you need to cool it down as soon as it’s cooked by rinsing it under the cold tap - does this not just ruin the rice? How strict are you about reheating rice? My Chinese friends aren’t bothered and think it’s just scaremongering… they said you need to leave rice for a day before making decent fried rice.

KenHom Thu 30-Jan-14 14:44:28

kaybh

Who is the most famous person you’ve cooked for? Where you’re starstruck?

Tina Turner.

twiggy Thu 30-Jan-14 14:43:48

What do you think about using endangered animals in dishes - like shark fins? Is it wrong? I try to keep an open mind but I think it would put me off really.

kaybh Thu 30-Jan-14 14:42:44

Can i have another question? If so... What would you recommend as a good easy meal to cook with a 4 year old? Surprisingly she doesn’t mind a bit of spice…

kaybh Thu 30-Jan-14 14:41:52

Who is the most famous person you’ve cooked for? Where you’re starstruck?

KenHom Thu 30-Jan-14 14:41:03

Aquamarina

is there ant kind of traditional Chinese drink you'd suggest for a dinner party? I'm making (or maybe attempting is a better word) your chinese pork belly this weekend! grin

I seriously suggest using just wines - red or white.

Aquamarina Thu 30-Jan-14 14:39:28

is there ant kind of traditional Chinese drink you'd suggest for a dinner party? I'm making (or maybe attempting is a better word) your chinese pork belly this weekend! grin

KenHom Thu 30-Jan-14 14:38:04

GillianSmith

Hi Ken
We are having a Chinese New Year party and whilst I can manage to make a couple of dishes I wondered if you could recommend some extra dishes from your Tesco range that would be best for Chinese New Year
many thanks
Gill

The crispy duck, some of the appetiser dishes perfect for parties. Actually our crispy beef is pretty good and the ribs.

KenHom Thu 30-Jan-14 14:36:33

marbles

Crispy shredded chilli beef is may absolute favourite - is it easy to make? And is it as unhealthy as I think?!

It's fairly easy to make and you're perfectly right about it not being healthy as it's been fried! I have a recipe in my complete Chinese cookbook.

KenHom Thu 30-Jan-14 14:34:38

ambertoby

Please could you let me know your favourite vegetarian dish? I haven't done much Chinese cooking before but Ive recently become a vegetarian and i'm hoping it will be a way tp explore different vegetables than i am used to - and more exotic ones I hope!

One of my favourite vegetarian dish is braised spicy tofu, you need to fry the tofu first, which gives it a nice spongy texture. And then you can make a spicy sauce with garlic, ginger, black beans, chilli bean sauce, rice wine and soy sauce.