Gransnet forums

Webchats

Professor Richard Overy Q&A

(29 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 03-Apr-14 10:15:51

Richard Overy is Professor of History at the University of Exeter. He is the author of more than 25 books on the era of the World Wars, on the European dictatorships and the history of air power, including The Air War 1939-1945, Why the Allies Won, The Inter-War Crisis, The Morbid Age: Britain and the Crisis of Civilization and most recently The Bombing War: Europe 1939-1945.

His book on Hitler and Stalin won the Wolfson Prize for History in 2004 and in 2010 he was presented with the Doolittle Award by MIT for his contributions to aviation history. He is a Fellow of the British Academy, a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society and a Member of the European Academy of Sciences and Arts.

Richard is the Editorial Consultant to World War 1: The Definitive Visual Guide published by DK (RRP £25), which can be purchased on Amazon and all good book shops.

Put your questions forward to Richard by midday 17 April.

RichardOvery Wed 23-Apr-14 09:48:23

Nelliepara10

Aka

My late husband was Jewish. He fought in WWII in Burma.

I remember asking him what he thought about Hitler and the Germans in general. He replied that when a country is not doing well the best way for someone who is after power to realise their goals, is to give the people something/someone to hate.

Because his family originally came from Russia and also he was not involved in any action in Germany he never thought badly of them as a race. Hitler he obviously abhorred but he reckoned that he had whipped up a hatred of the Jews for ambitious reasons. He once shocked me by saying the same could have happened in other European countries including the Uk. When the Balkan War was going on, I could see his point.

However, the only time I saw my husband cry was when we were watching a documentary showing POW's released by the Japanese. He was in Burma when this happened and said he had never thought that any human being could treat others so cruelly. He also said that there were rumours that some of the soldiers families were informed that their relative was 'missing in action'. This was due to some of the pow's being chronically sick and suffering from severe mental health issues. He did not think this could be true but was never sure.

The Japanese were, of course, not the only people to treat others appallingly in the war. This was one of many examples of inhumanity on an almost unbelievable scale. War has a terrible corrupting effect, but in Japan, where surrender was regarded as the worst thing a man could do, the mistreatment of POWs had a cultural explanation for the indifference and cruelty inflicted. Many POWs were reported as missing in action and if the Red Cross could not verify their prisoner status, that was the category they would be given until other evidence became available.

RichardOvery Wed 23-Apr-14 09:49:23

willsandco

This isn't a question about any World War, Richard. I just wanted to ask you if we were in the same class at Blackford Grammar School 1958-63? My name was Joycie Pope. Whenever I see your name, I am curious. If so, you have done so well. Many congratulations.

Yes, I was at the school from 1960 to 1966 (joining at 13). Thanks for your kind words.

papaoscar Thu 24-Apr-14 23:09:26

Many thanks for your reply, Professor Overy.