Gransnet forums

Webchats

Keep calm and declutter - Q&A with "tidy" expert Marie Kondo

(132 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 09-Apr-14 12:18:30

Fed up of being surrounded by clutter? <guilty face> Too many things and not enough storage? Frustrated by constantly having to tidy up? Overwhelmed by the thought of a clear out? <oh yes!>

Help is at hand. Japan's expert declutterer and professional cleaner Marie Kondo will help you tidy up once and for all with her inspirational step-by-step method and her "once cleaned, never messy again" approach.

As Marie says, "when you put your house in order, you put your affairs and your past in order too. As a result you can see quite clearly what you need in life and what you don't, what you should and shouldn't do."

Her book - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying - is available now and has already sold 1.5 million copies in Japan alone. And you can add your questions for her up til midday on Weds 23 April.

JoyBloggs Thu 23-Jul-15 20:56:37

Tegan Thank you... a timely reminder! Most of my photos are safely backed-up but the most recent aren't and I must do it ASAP. I agree, so easy to lose a phone and awful to lose special pics.

Tegan Thu 23-Jul-15 21:04:28

I 'lost' my digital camera a few weeks ago; it had fallen out of my handbag under the car seat. Didn't realise till I was on holiday and, annoying as it was not to be able to take photos it was the fact that I had pictures of my baby granddaughter on it that really worried me.

mollyc Sun 15-Nov-15 17:20:00

I am 79 have lived in this house for 54 years so I have loads of "souvenirs" that I should sort out but when I look at them i feel that after all these years it is a shame to bin them. Some are even from my childhood. We hope to move next year so I will have to be ruthless,but after all when we pass on no-one else will want them. Wish me luck.

Sam65 Thu 25-Feb-16 17:41:24

When we moved after living in the same house I got rid of loads. However it was important to realise if anything had any value first. I sorted out slowly room by room. Valuable stuff went eBay. Stuff that could be useful to others but not charity shops went on freegle(freecycle) and other free things went to charity shops that they could sell. I also did table top sales which was very interesting and I sold the oddest things and met some lovely people.

rollerblinds Wed 05-Jan-22 07:38:32

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

V3ra Wed 05-Jan-22 07:54:41

Reported