Gransnet forums

Webchats

Bread, cake, doughnut, pudding. Baking Q&A with Justin Gellatly

(32 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 13-May-14 15:24:37

Now it's no secret we like cake. Lots and lots of cake. So an expert to tell us all about the very best ways of making cake...? Well our cup runneth over.

Justin Gellatly is one of Britain's best bakers. Head Baker and Pastry Chef at St John for twelve years, he created the St John Bakery and restaurants' legendary sourdough bread and doughnuts, and he has just opened a new bakery, Bread Ahead Borough Market.

In his new book, Bread, Cake, Doughnut, Pudding, Justin explains how to make mouth-watering treats ranging from the classics (madeleines, croquembouche, sourdough starter and bread), to classics with a twist (banana sticky toffee pudding, salted caramel custard doughnuts, blood orange possets, deep fried jam sandwiches.) Over 150 recipes covering bread, biscuits, buns and cakes, hot, warm and cold puddings, ice cream, those doughnuts, savoury baking and store cupboard essentials - and Justin is happy to answer questions on all of the above and more.

Add yours by 27 May.

Roarr Thu 22-May-14 14:42:08

Hi Justin. I tried making a swiss roll for the first time at the weekend. The recipe said to whisk the eggs and sugar until they were pale and fluffy and had doubled in volume. I did. But the finished result was thin and tough not thick and light. What did I do wrong?

Brie Tue 27-May-14 10:34:18

Hello. What things would you consider to be essentials for a baking storecupboard? I always seem to have at least one ingredient that's missing!

quotes Tue 27-May-14 10:36:15

Whenever I make fruit cake my fruit sinks to the bottom. What am I doing wrong?

beeswax Tue 27-May-14 10:37:17

I have a question about meringues I prefer them chewy to chalky, what is the best way to get this effect? and how do I stop them from going slighty golden? Also my mum used to swear by adding cornflour and vinegar - is this necessary

hollyhocks Tue 27-May-14 10:40:57

very keen to get my 5yo GD into baking - can you suggest some good recipes to start with?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 27-May-14 10:45:26

We have sent the questions over to Justin - answers coming shortly...watch this space <dreams of doughnuts>