Gransnet forums

Webchats

If you could ask Hillary Clinton one question...

(30 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 02-Jul-14 15:26:17

...what would it be?

She is doing a wee webchat for Mumsnet on Friday and we would love to add a question from Gransnet too (specially as she is about to become a gran herself)

So do add whatever you would like to ask her and we will pick one to put to her at the end of the week

merlotgran Wed 02-Jul-14 15:29:42

Only one question?

No wonder grans feel invisible sometimes.

Ana Wed 02-Jul-14 15:32:25

grin yes, talk about crumbs from their table! (or 'crumb' in this case...)

Anne58 Wed 02-Jul-14 15:36:43

I'd like to ask a sort of 2 in 1 question, but somehow I don't think it would be appropriate!

How did you punish him and how long for?

Mishap Wed 02-Jul-14 15:40:59

A bit cheeky phoenix! - I would just ask what the heck she sees in him!!? I am sure that if I cogitate long enough I will come up with some more suitable question!

Anne58 Wed 02-Jul-14 15:42:12

I did say that I thought it wasn't appropriate, but I bet I'm not the only one who thought of it!

Stansgran Wed 02-Jul-14 15:42:40

A frivolous one. Do you still have your big pink handbag and does it still make you happy?

Mishap Wed 02-Jul-14 15:51:55

Indeed *phoenix" - I think that many of us would have similar questions. It will be interesting if the Mumsnetters manage to be less frivolous than us!

whenim64 Wed 02-Jul-14 16:10:01

Just cut to the chase - are you going to run for President, Hilary?

merlotgran Wed 02-Jul-14 16:14:51

And do you really hate Obama....and his missus?

Ruby6918 Wed 02-Jul-14 16:24:56

id ask her what one item would she bring to a desert island no gadgets or phones etc

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 02-Jul-14 16:30:11

Oh my gosh, what a coup though!

Mine would be more of a request than a question. 'Please BE President, and soon. This world sorely needs a sensible, capable, woman at the helm'

Grannyknot Wed 02-Jul-14 17:11:34

I think she has been asked that question, way back in 2003 and by none other than Judy of "Richard & Judy" fame:

Before long, the Monica Lewinsky question popped up (Judy thought that Mrs Clinton should have left Bill, as she bravely pointed out). "Well, it should have remained private and personal but it was forced into the public for partisan political purposes which I found deplorable," she said.
And marriage? "Every marriage is a mystery to me, even the one I'm in. So I'm no expert on it. At the end of the day, you know, love does not happen between two perfect people as much as we would wish."

And Google tells me that she gave exactly the same response later that day in an interview on the radio.

Anyway, I'd ask her how she copes with getting older and still working as hard as she does.

GillT57 Wed 02-Jul-14 17:20:51

I am a great admirer of Hillary Clinton, and think that she showed great dignity and self-respect when Bill strayed ( and lied), see quotes above from Grannyknot. I would like to think she would bring a bit of common sense into politics but when you look at the shennanigans and tantrums that Obama has had to put up with from his opponents, sadly I think it is likely that she will have a hard job. So, my question would be When can you start?

janeainsworth Thu 03-Jul-14 05:57:02

America is often accused of being the world's policeman.
My question would be What balance would you aim to achieve between working for world peace and interfering in sovereign states?

MiceElf Thu 03-Jul-14 06:51:09

Why did the US administration ignore the advice of its ambassador about the situation in the Middle East? He subsequently resigned in despair.

MiceElf Thu 03-Jul-14 07:02:55

Just to be clear, it's Robert Ford I'm talking about.

Iam64 Thu 03-Jul-14 12:55:25

Please run for president Hillary

I like the questions posed by janeainsworth and MiceElf

Just heard her on Women's Hour and Jeremy Vine - what a breath of fresh air

Gandergran Thu 03-Jul-14 16:18:34

Just hopped over from twitter!

I want to know how Hillary bites her tongue when people say that being a Grandma means you can no longer do your job properly.

It's all the American press had to talk about when they found out her daughter was going to have their grandchild. Disgustingly sexist. And ageist. Made my blood boil.

HelenWJ Thu 03-Jul-14 16:47:56

After reading all the media fuss over whether a woman can be both President of the US and a grandmother, I can't believe that's what you really believe and I can't believe you would pass up becoming the first female POTUS. What is your true stance on this and will you be running? (Please do!)

henetha Fri 04-Jul-14 11:06:15

I would like to ask why ANYONE would want to become the President of the United States of America when the job carries such pressure and responsibility and half the world hates you and some are out to assassinate you and the opposition party in America make it so difficult to get any legislation passed, etc. etc....
It's a mystery to me why people seek power. But good luck to Hilary, if that is what she chooses to do. I think she is a fantastic woman. It's time there was a female President, and Hilary is the one who could possibly achieve it.

GigiGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 04-Jul-14 20:28:06

Sorry everyone no more questions - we'll post the video here to the whole interview as soon as we get it!

janerowena Fri 04-Jul-14 21:40:21

Just as I thought of one! (Would she like a job over here instead?)

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 04-Jul-14 22:40:26

Looks like she likes the book

Grannyknot Sat 05-Jul-14 07:57:25

In the paper yesterday Hillary Clinton was quoted as having said she "is grateful every day for having forgiven Bill for the ML affair". You have to admire her pragmatic attitude, and her ability to not only to rise above it, but also to express gratitude for having been able to do that. What a woman.