Gransnet forums

Webchats

Alan Titchmarsh webchat

(69 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 25-Sep-14 15:52:36

We're very pleased to announce that national gardening treasure, author and broadcaster, Alan Titchmarsh, will be joining us at HQ on 10 October to answer all your questions.

From Ground Force to The Alan Titchmarsh Show, Alan has been on our screens for more than twenty years now, and was awarded the MBE in the Millennium New Year Honours list. He started his working life as a gardener in his native Yorkshire at just 15 and went on to become a renowned gardening writer and broadcaster.

Over the last twenty years he has also presented several documentaries about the Royal Family, managed to ride with The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery without falling off and his book Elizabeth: Her Life, Our Times was written for the Diamond Jubilee.

His new book, The Queen's Houses is a guided tour through every apsect of the five royal residences and is published on 9 October by BBC Books. His show, The Alan Titchmarsh Show, is on ITV at 3pm Monday to Friday.

Leave your questions for Alan below and make sure you join us for the webchat on the afternoon of 10 October.

Galen Wed 08-Oct-14 16:59:07

Hi Alan. Please solve a dispute between me and Gary the gardner. He insists tomatos are planted late, while I think they should be about Jan/February. I'm cross as in spite of a really good summer my tod are still green.

Galen Wed 08-Oct-14 17:03:04

Grrrr! Should be toms! Blasted iPad.

Jules31 Thu 09-Oct-14 12:04:04

Hello Alan - my message is a simple one. I've planted four David Austin climbing roses against a trellis and three of them have developed shoots sporting seven leaves as opposed to the usual five. Thinking they were briars, I've cut most of them off at the base, but having left a few I see they are now flowering, in spite of having seven leaves! I have always thought that seven leaves indicates a male shoot so I'm a little perplexed! Could you please explain? Many thanks, Julia

ginbins Thu 09-Oct-14 12:15:20

Dear Alan, How do we get rid of ground Elder it is slowly swarming over the whole garden.

annodomini Thu 09-Oct-14 12:44:40

Horsetail. If I turn my back, next time I look there's a forest of the stuff up to my knees. If I put a membrane down on the bed that's worst affected, will it kill it off or will they force their way through?

Greensleeves Thu 09-Oct-14 12:45:46

Hi Alan
I wanted to know what you do to encourage your grandchildren to get into gardening. Mine like hunting out spiders or spraying the garden hose around but I find it hard to get them interested in the actual gardening part! They are 6 and 4.
Many thanks.

bunnygran Thu 09-Oct-14 12:54:18

Hello Alan,

You've really inspired me to get back to gardening and it's brought back so many memories of my grandmother's garden - so my question is this: do you have any fond memories of your grandparents gardens? And (I recently read that you are also a grandparent yourself) does it bring back memories when you spend time gardening with your grandchildren?

nananew Fri 10-Oct-14 09:35:06

Hi Alan, final question as I plan to get in the garden this weekend and thought why not ask you for tips...what do you recommend to do in the garden in October...before winter really sets in?

Also, I'm very intrigued to know what your own garden is like? And who maintains it?!

Thanks smile

EmilyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 10-Oct-14 12:19:57

Alan Titchmarsh will be joining us very shortly at GNHQ, don't forget to log-on and join in our Friday afternoon chat with him...

EmilyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 10-Oct-14 12:48:22

Hi everyone,

Warm Gransnet welcome to Alan Titchmarsh who has just arrived at GNHQ and is ready to start answering your questions...watch this space and feel free to chat to us live while he is here.

All best,

GNHQ

AlanTitchmarsh Fri 10-Oct-14 12:50:10

Hello everyone good to be with you! Even HildaW grin

AlanTitchmarsh Fri 10-Oct-14 12:54:39

Hi there, I'd go for something which is easy to grow and can cope with relatively dry soil. Try Geranium macrorrhizum or Hypericum calycinum. Both are quite low growing at under a foot high and have brightly coloured flowers in summer and some foliage in winter.

Hope that helps!

NfkDumpling

Hi Alan, I would appreciate your advise - even if Hilda doesn't!

I'm part of a small group (eight of us) who've been slowly adding flower tubs around our little market town (the council maintain they're too poor, although they have arranged insurance cover in case a box of plants breaks loose and chases someone down the high street).

It looks as if we may get permission to plant under the town welcome signs out on the main road. Because it's a fast busy road maintainence will be difficult and watering impossible. Please, can you suggest any inexpensive (or they'll get pinched), hardy, colourful plants which would not grow taller than one metre? The soil is good, well drained, neutral touching on acid. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

AlanTitchmarsh Fri 10-Oct-14 12:56:37

rubylady

How is it best to move container plants, buddleia, rose tree, cherry tree, beech tree from one house to another? Xxx

Do you mean digging them up from the ground and putting them into containers? Otherwise, all deciduous plants (those which lose their leaves in winter) are best dug up and moved between November and March.

However, if they are taller than you are, they may not survive the move!

AlanTitchmarsh Fri 10-Oct-14 12:58:53

Penstemmon

Hi Alan,

It is a lifetime since my DH & I watched you and Alison in Music Hall shows in BROS! We have mutual friends in Bramley!

My gardening question is about a persistent 'fairy ring' in the grass (lawn would be a bit presumptuous!!) Is there a way to get rid of the toadstools or do I have to wait for them to go on their own?? Efforts so far have not been effective.

Ah, happy memories! It is fiendishly difficult to get rid of fairy rings without using noxious chemicals. It really is best to invest in a birch broom (like a witch's broomstick) and sweep them off the morning they appear.

Sorry not to be more helpful!

AlanTitchmarsh Fri 10-Oct-14 13:01:41

henetha

Hi Alan,
I recently cleared a small flower bed which is almost always in the shade.
It's behind the back wall of the garage, and is about 6' by 2' . I have left a rambling rose which climbs the garage wall, but cleared some old lavender etc. I thought maybe a flowering shrub might be best now. Or some perennial which likes shade? Any suggestions, and when is the best time to plant?
Thank you Alan. smile

There are plenty of shade tolerant shrubs such as pyracantha and elaeagnus which will tolerate shade, and perennials like foxgloves and hardy geraniums which will be happy there too. At the risk of self-promotion, I have written a series of paperbacks called How to Garden, One of which is devoted to plants for shade. It will give you a much wider choice.

AlanTitchmarsh Fri 10-Oct-14 13:03:25

joannapiano

Hello Alan,
We had a good crop of Moneymaker tomatoes, grown in grow bags in our greenhouse, this year. The only problem was that they had very tough skins. I have resorted to making them into sauce.
This is the first time we have had this problem.
What variety would you suggest we plant next year?

The chances are that your tomato plants dried out a little in between waterings which would result in the skins being tougher. However, next year give Gardener's Delight a go; it has a very good flavour and will hopefully not disappoint.

AlanTitchmarsh Fri 10-Oct-14 13:06:04

buffersmoll

Hi Allan can you help with raspberries. I let runners from old and very productive canes develop into plants in the bed at the side of the old canes but when the fruit on these new canes developed they were very small fruits with four or five berries, when any attempt to pick them they fell away or were nocked off. don't know the name of the raspberries I inherited them. They fruit twice a year May for the birds, Autumn for me. Many thanks for your guidance for so many years.

There is no obvious reason why your raspberries should have done what they did. Those that fruit early in the year normally have their fruited canes cut down to ground level once they have cropped, and the new canes tied into the support system to carry next years crop. Autumn fruiting raspberries are cut down to the ground each February since the brand new canes will fruit the same year as they grow. I would suggest you try a different variety such as Autumn Bliss which I love eating! Best of luck.

AlanTitchmarsh Fri 10-Oct-14 13:07:51

libbalobba

Hi Alan, you have more recently made quite a name for yourself as an expert on things Royal. Given this and the TV show do you still see yourself as a gardener first and foremost?

I'm still a gardener at heart and I garden everyday at home. It's just that I have been allowed to pursue other interests which keeps me fresh! The new book explores the Queen's houses in detail, looking at their history and the way in which they are used today. I hope it's an interesting read.

AlanTitchmarsh Fri 10-Oct-14 13:10:30

pat834

Does your interest in royalty stem from the book you did on royal gardens? (Which I have an enjoyed very much)

Having been round all the royal gardens and enjoyed them it seemed an obvious move to explore the houses and palaces and write about them, which I was lucky enough to do.

AlanTitchmarsh Fri 10-Oct-14 13:13:08

bettybooop

The Queen's Houses sounds really interesting I have ordered it from Amazon. Did you get special access to all of them? And which did you like the best?

I have been lucky enough to visit all of the royal houses and palaces over the years and have had the good fortune to stay at Sandringham. Which I suppose is why it is my favourite. It is an odd and rambling sort of house, but one which is elegant yet friendly inside and set in a wonderful garden in the heart of the Norfolk countryside. That said, Windsor Castle is wonderfully imposing and the state rooms at Buckingham Palace are tremendously imposing. Balmoral in the Scottish Highlands has a wonderful conservatory!

constance Fri 10-Oct-14 13:14:18

What do I do with an 11' x 17' back 'garden' that is only sunny first thing in the morning, surrounded by house walls and with a garage at the end?
Apart from demolishing the garage...

AlanTitchmarsh Fri 10-Oct-14 13:15:46

neena

Hi Alan,

I love your show...and your books about the royals! Have you ever met the queen? And if so what was that like?! Is she your favourite royal or who is if not?

Thank you smile

I first met The Queen at Chelsea Flower Show in 1985 when I showed her around a garden I had made. I have subsequently met her many times and even sat next to her twice at lunch. She is the most wonderful company and a great conversationalist. It's difficult to name a favourite royal since I am acquainted with several of them but I am particularly admiring of Her Majesty and The Prince of Wales who is the hardest working man I know.

AlanTitchmarsh Fri 10-Oct-14 13:17:25

nancy22

Hi Alan
I just love your programs they are fab, but I do need your help if possible.
I have recently grown a grape tree (well over a year old now).
How long does it take for the grapes to come?
Many thanks

Your vine will need to be a year or two older before it flowers and fruits. Ideally it will enjoy a sunny spot in well-drained chalky soil. Don't expect it to be self-sufficient in fruit or wine.

AlanTitchmarsh Fri 10-Oct-14 13:18:57

merlotgran

Hi Alan,

We have a very large garden on fenland soil which is very fertile. Everyone thinks we're lucky but they should try tackling the nettles which have a sting more effective than a taser!!

My biggest problem is what to grow under three apple trees that I planted alongside a path. There's a clump of lovage that follows snowdrops and tulips but it doesn't seem to matter what I plant either side of it as the nettles soon reappear despite digging out the roots and/or treating with glyphosate. Mulching doesn't work for long - they soon push through it.

I suppose I could leave the nettles for wildlife but then the postman wouldn't be able to get up the path. hmm

There is no magic formula for getting rid of the nettles. You could try laying thick black polythene over the ground and covering it with chipped bark. Left in position for a year or more it should result in the nettle roots dying out. Good luck!

AlanTitchmarsh Fri 10-Oct-14 13:21:53

rubysong

Hello
We did try to restrict the roots of our fig tree with slates when it was planted but it has become far too large and I have to do something about it. Can I prune it very hard, or will that just make it even more vigorous? It is about 10 years old and we have never had a fig which ripened enough to eat. We live in east Cornwall and it is on the garage wall, facing south but a bit shaded by other large trees.
(It is by the path the postman takes to go next door and he is almost having to crawl through it.)

It's nice that you are all so considerate to your postman!

You can, indeed, prune your fig quite severely at this time of year, but I would look at increasing the amount of light which it receives. The small figs which are about the size of a pea at this time of year are the ones which will come through the winter to fatten and ripen next summer. Any which are larger will fall off. Light and warmth are key to success, good luck!