Gransnet forums

Webchats

John Cleese webchat 17 October

(66 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 02-Oct-14 11:40:20

We're beyond excited to have another Monty Python legend join us at GNHQ to answer your questions. John Cleese, former teacher, hamster-owner and general comedy genius will be coming into the office from 1-2pm on 17 October to answer questions on (among other things) his memoir So, Anyway... published by Random House and available from Amazon from 9 October.

John Marwood Cleese was born in Weston-super-Mare in 1939 and educated at Clifton College and at Cambridge. He achieved his first big success in the West End and as a scriptwriter and performer on The Frost Report. He went on to co-found the legendary Monty Python comedy troupe, writing and performing in the TV series and in films that include Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Life of Brian.

In the mid-1970s, John Cleese and his first wife, Connie Booth, co-wrote and starred in the now-classic sitcom Fawlty Towers. Later, he wrote and co-starred in A Fish Called Wanda and Fierce Creatures. He has appeared in many other films, from James Bond to Harry Potter to Shrek, and has guest-starred in TV shows that have included Cheers, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Will & Grace and Entourage. He lives in London.

Leave your question for John on the thread below and join us from 1-2pm on 17 October!

Kennedy Thu 16-Oct-14 16:06:35

Question for John Cleese

Hi John, great to have you here on Gransnet. Thanks for all the
wonderful years of Faulty Towers. We used to look forward to it and laugh,
omG, it was a tonic.

Is there a chance that you might consider doing any more of these, or even something similar. We are sadly in need of a good TV show that is entertaining and funny.

Cathy (Kennedy)

nananew Thu 16-Oct-14 21:20:37

Hi John,

I read somewhere recently that you would rather not do anymore work. . So, with that in mind, what would your non-working day look like. Sort of a 'day in the life' of John…

I'm the opposite you see, worried about retiring because I have no idea what an earth I will do with all of the hours in the day!

Fid Thu 16-Oct-14 22:36:01

Can you still do a Silly Walk?

Hermionesnan Fri 17-Oct-14 10:38:51

My eldest grandaughter is a huge Harry Potter fan - what was it like on set with so many amazing actors and also do you know yet if will you be in the new Harry Potter spin off movies that were just announced?

biggusdickus Fri 17-Oct-14 10:47:57

Hello john huge fan of Python and your films (i was lucky enough to get a ticket with my wife and loved it - thank you).

I read that terry Jones described the relationship you all have like an old married couple. And as someone with nearlyforty years of marriage behind me, I wondered what you most bickered about. My wife and I still argue about who should drive. Although I nearly always win.

JackyB Fri 17-Oct-14 11:52:37

Hi John - as a sixth form girl, I loved watching Monty Python (when I was allowed to) and we all had great fun re-enacting the sketches in school the next day.

But looking back on them now, they are awfully embarrassing with respect to their attitude to women. Have you, or any other of the Python team ever been asked to comment on that, and if so, what is the 21st Century feeling on this, seen from the Monty Python viewpoint?

Lilygran Fri 17-Oct-14 11:58:47

I really enjoyed 'A Fish called Wanda' and 'Clockwise'. You've been in quite a lot of films apart from the Python ones. Any plans for another feature film? And which is more rewarding, comedy shows or films?

MontyPythonRules Fri 17-Oct-14 12:24:34

Did it take a lot of practising to get the French accent for the Taunter in Monty Python? And did you write those fantastic witty insults yourself?

EmilyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 17-Oct-14 12:28:07

John Cleese will be with us shortly. Don't forget to log on and chat with him live while he's with us at GNHQ.

Best,

GNHQ

JohnCleese Fri 17-Oct-14 12:56:35

Hello everyone,

Nice to be here at GNHQ. Looking forward to answering all of your questions.

John

JohnCleese Fri 17-Oct-14 12:58:20

nancy22

John ,what has been the one thing in your life that you are most proud of work wise? and how do you keep your audience still laughing after all these years. I think you are totally brilliant

The thing I'm most proud of comes in the Duck episode of Fawlty Towers. It's when Basil lifts the lid of the silver platter and finds their is a ghastly raspberry mousse instead of the duck. He then feels about in the mousse to see if there might be a duck there.

JohnCleese Fri 17-Oct-14 13:01:14

henetha

Hi John,
I'm a big fan, especially because of Faulty Towers as I lived in Torquay for 50 years....... but escaped eventually!
We don't see enough of you on t.v. these days. Any chance of writing and starring in a new sitcom, please? grin

Hi Henetha,

I used to visit Torquay because my best friend at school used to live there. I even became a Torquay United fan.

You're right about TV, they don't seem to want the programmes that I would like to make, and the ones they suggest to me seem very boring. One problem is that the budgets are so small now that they try to save money on everything so only very simple ideas, like quiz shows, really appeal to them.

grannyactivist Fri 17-Oct-14 13:02:25

Hello John and thank you for calling in. I haven't yet read your autobiography so forgive me if you've answered this question in your book, but I wondered if you felt you had a good/significant relationship with your grandparents as you were growing up? And would you have changed your name if your father hadn't done so (from Cheese)?

JohnCleese Fri 17-Oct-14 13:02:50

saraband

John, how much input did you have in your part as Sir Cadwell the Undaunted (Elder Scrolls Online)? There is a lot of gentle humour in the game, but Cadwell definitely has your stamp firmly upon him.

Hi Saraband,

I agreed to do Sir Cadwell because I thought the script was so good. It was much subtler and more amusing than most of the ones I see. They usually let me make a few changes but this script didn't need it.

JohnCleese Fri 17-Oct-14 13:04:52

grannyactivist

Not having a TV for most of my adult life means that my introduction to John Cleese has primarily been through his Training Videos (Video Arts).

My question is: Both as a trainer and the recipient of training courses I thought some of these videos were worth their weight in gold and yet it seems this aspect of your professional life is little known; why do you think this is - and do you care?

You're right. Most people don't know about the Training Videos.

I'm rather proud of them. They were clever and the humour in them, while quite gentle, was very well-observed. We use the best actors and writers in television. But they are known only by the business community because there is no other way to view them than by hiring or buying them.

It's a shame but there's nothing much I can do about it.

JohnCleese Fri 17-Oct-14 13:07:24

ladybird9

would love to have you for a dinner party, no, no not to eat you but, for the hilarious conversation that I am sure you would generate !!!! my little "shoobox" of a flat would, I am sure come alive, if you decide to take up my invite, maybe you could invite Colin Firth to make up a 3some, dinner and conversation ..... only X

many thanks for you wonderful sense of humour over the years, let us have some more.......please Mr Cleese

meemee

Hello John I would also like to thank you for many years of wonderful entertainment.

I was lucky enough to see one of the live Monty Python shows at the O2 recently. Was this something you were keen to do or did you take some persuading? And did it feel like you'd never been away once you all got together to perform the classic material?

We all thoroughly enjoyed getting together for the O2, mainly because Eric Idle did the hard work of producing the show after we had all suggested material. But it became much more ambitious because of Eric's use of song and dance (and filth) so it took more rehearsal than expected. But the audience were the best ever and that made it lovely to do.

JohnCleese Fri 17-Oct-14 13:09:22

pat66

I loved Fawlty Towers (actually I love it still)

It's so funny - I wondered how did you keep a straight face when you were filming? Or did there have to be a lot of takes because you all kept laughing?

Hi Pat,

Most of the time we kept a straight face because when we were doing the TV shows (FT and MP) we had very little recording time so we were always terrified we would get to the end of the recording without having taped the whole show. So we couldn't afford to fool around.

But when we got on stage we did a lot of breaking up especially Michael and me and Eric and me, because the atmosphere was so relaxed.

JohnCleese Fri 17-Oct-14 13:11:32

Fawltyfilly

Hello John,

I'm a huge fan (as is my mother aged 96!)
I once read you were a teacher for a while and I wondered if at any point in your career you had regretted leaving teaching. Or if you expected to return to it some day?
FFx

Tell your mother that mine got to 101! Yes, in the book I write about being a teacher for two years and it's the funniest chapter in the book! Since then I did a kind-of teaching with the management training films. Also, I am sort-of phoney professor at Cornel University in the States- one of the Ivy League ones. I do like understanding something and then being able to explain it interestingly and that's why enjoy writing more than I do acting.

JohnCleese Fri 17-Oct-14 13:14:23

Elderflower1

You have done so much in your career it was really tricky to think of just one question but I do wonder what one moment would you say you were most proud of in your career or is there one line or joke you wrote which to this day you're most proud of?
Thank you for answering (in advance smile)

My favourite joke was at the end of the O2 show when I told Michael Palin that I had heard that Paul Dacre (Editor of Daily Mail) had had an arsehole transplant. But Michael said he'd just heard that the arsehole had rejected him. The Pythons despise the Daily Mail!

JohnCleese Fri 17-Oct-14 13:15:09

chocaddict

Do you still have a hamster?

Yes I still have the hamster that I write about in the book. I bought it in the autumn of 1960, and it's not as lively as it was.

JohnCleese Fri 17-Oct-14 13:16:14

joytotheworld

have you ever thought of running for parliament? Looking at what's going on these days we could do a lot worse than being governed by the ministry of silly walks

I think MPs' have absolutely miserable jobs and I can't imagine why anyone would want to be one. I would be interested if parliament became a proper democracy but there is no hope for that.

JohnCleese Fri 17-Oct-14 13:16:44

ninkynonk

I just saw this on twitter and am so excited to have the chance to ask you a question.

Do you think your comedy career has benefitted from your being tall?

No, but I think that being tall has benefited from my comedy career.

JohnCleese Fri 17-Oct-14 13:18:04

rose314

Is it true that your father's name was originally Cheese not Cleese. Cleese is obvioulsy a very nice name but I would have though Cheese would have had more comedic potential. Do you like cheese?

Yes, when Dad was born in Bristol in 1893 his name was Reggie Cheese but he changed it when he went into the army in 1915. It's a good story in the book. I wish he hadn't changed it. Then I could be Jack Cheese.

JohnCleese Fri 17-Oct-14 13:19:14

Doreen2

Is it true that the actor that played Manuel was regularly injured during filming of Fawlty Towers? If it is - did he mind?

When you are doing physical comedy you're always going to pick up a knock or two, especially if you have as little rehearsal time as we did.

JohnCleese Fri 17-Oct-14 13:20:23

granamia

Hi John,

I did a bit of digging and discovered that you're also a grandpa - do your grandchildren watch Fawlty Towers? My granddaughter is 11 and it's one of the programmes we love to watch together when she comes round (she's showing me how to watch it online). It's such a funny, good natured show and I think it's lovely having something to enjoy with my granddaughter.

I love the fact that children enjoy Fawlty Towers so much. The only worrying thing is that they all identify with Manuel. Do all parents behave like Manuel and Sybil?