Gransnet forums

Webchats

Winter health - webchat with Dr Rosemary Leonard (Mon 17 Nov)

(92 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Nov-14 12:57:18

The temperature has dropped - and the season of coughs and colds is well and truly upon us. But what can you do to help ward off these and other winter nasties such as chilblains and the like?

And what about the old wives' tales? Does going out with wet hair really make you more likely to catch a cold? Does taking lots of vitamins actually help? Dr Rosemary Leonard joins us on Monday 17 November to answer all your questions on winter health.

Dr Rosemary Leonard’s work as a consultant to national television, radio and newspapers makes her one of the country’s best-known doctors.
She is the resident doctor on BBC Breakfast, and also writes a weekly page for the Daily Express and a weekly column in “S” magazine. She is the medical editor and feature writer for Woman and Home magazine. Rosemary’s latest book, ‘Doctor’s Notes: more incredible tales from a GP’s Surgery’, was published earlier this year.

Rosemary is still a practicing doctor, working as a part-time GP partner in a busy practice in South London. She has just completed five years as the GP representative on the Committee on Safety of Medicines, the national body licensing all medicines in the UK and has now been a member of the Human Genetics Commission for over a year. She was awarded an M.B.E. for her services to healthcare in the New Year’s Honours List in 2004 and was appointed to the Board of the Health Protection Agency in the UK in 2008. You can find out more on her website

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 03-Nov-14 13:58:28

About time we had a proper doctor on.

Does it have to be only about winter nasties?

Grannyknot Mon 03-Nov-14 15:28:12

jings I know! I almost expected a sub-heading "How the Looming Threat of Winter Affect Those Who Are No Longer Quite So Young" grin.

And GNHQ - the pedants will jump on you for "ward of" grin grin - so glad it's not just me!

Galen Mon 03-Nov-14 15:34:07

jing agreedsmile

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Nov-14 19:36:45

Oh the shame - ah well - proof that multitasking is not a skill I possess. And me an enthusiastic pedant too. Fixed but lesson learned.

And - it was very much winter nasties in general - age is immaterial. Think everyone dreads the lurgs around at this time of year however old.

We thought best to narrow it down to that as an hour isn't long enough to cover everything a GP might come across so best to tackle one area at a time - but if there is anything specific anyone would like to ask that doesn't come under that heading do add it to the list

Galen Mon 03-Nov-14 19:40:48

Do you mean things like
What does she think of the present state of the nhs?
How does the standard of care from GPs compare with what it was 40 years ago?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 03-Nov-14 20:07:59

I'm getting a hump. Should I be downing calcium tablets?

Thank you.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 03-Nov-14 20:09:04

And my legs are always cold. From the knees down. Why do you think that is?

Ana Mon 03-Nov-14 20:23:54

I think most of us are aware of the truth or otherwise of Old Wives' Tales (e.g. going out with wet hair makes you bound to contract pneumonia, likewise getting your feet wet or going out without a vest...grin).

And there are at least two GNetters who are well up on the value, or otherwise, of vitamins.

We're not all old biddies who visit our GPs at the drop of a hat, so I hope Dr Rosemary Leonard is prepared for more than just questions about chilblains! Does anyone get those these days? confused

Galen Mon 03-Nov-14 20:32:24

jing
Give up fly fishing.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Nov-14 21:04:43

Um Galen - in this instance we will stick to medical. Your area I know. But hopefully many will find it helpful to find out more about the best ways of avoiding or minimising the various things around over the winter.

As I say - age irrelevant. (And yes met someone (young!) who had problems with chilblains!!!)

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 03-Nov-14 21:08:53

I think, if you get chilled, your resistance goes down, and any cold bugs that you have lurking in your nose can take hold. So, yes, there is some truth in the old wives' tales.

Ana Mon 03-Nov-14 21:09:18

Well, that's just it - we old uns know all about avoiding chilblains, having suffered the consequences of sticking our freezing cold toes onto hot water pipes or roasting them in front of an open fire! grin

Ana Mon 03-Nov-14 21:10:46

I don't believe that, jingl. I think it's an Old Wives' Tale.

Agus Mon 03-Nov-14 21:24:54

Would you recommend Flu/Pneumonia inoculations for someone diagnosed with COPD?

MiceElf Mon 03-Nov-14 21:31:31

Oh and it should be practising. It's a verb not a noun.

Ana Mon 03-Nov-14 21:35:20

Oh! Is she the doctor who told tales about her former patients in her book...? hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 03-Nov-14 21:45:16

lovely pictures on the doctor's website

How charming. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 03-Nov-14 21:45:39

Do click on that link several times. smile

Ana Mon 03-Nov-14 22:29:14

Blimey - fancies herself a bit, doesn't she? grin

Marmight Mon 03-Nov-14 22:33:22

Lovely photos Jings!
Rosemary, it's good to hear that you are 'still a practicing doctor' - that is reassuring!
I bought a bottle of zinc tablets today as I heard that if you take them within a day of developing cold symptoms, the duration of the cold/cough should be shortened or at least alleviates the symptoms. Is this true? If so, why? I hope it is not just a case of the pharmaceutical companies jumping on the bandwagon and making a quick buck? Not got symptoms - yet. No doubt it will sit on the shelf with the unopened B12, echinacea, rose hip and multi-vitamin capsules. Better to 'Be Prepared' than caught on the hop! grin

Ana Mon 03-Nov-14 22:59:12

I swear by Vicks First Defence - it really does seem to work!

kittylester Mon 03-Nov-14 23:37:36

Didn't work for me or DH Ana.

I wonder whether one gets better from a cold more quickly by sitting down and resting or continuing as before. [Please say that it is better to sit down and watch rubbish daytime TV!]

Grannyknot Tue 04-Nov-14 07:39:58

jings 're getting chilled bringing resistance down - I believe the opposite: a bracing plunge into cold water is good for the system and builds resistance. So which is true please, doctor?

Brendawymms Tue 04-Nov-14 08:18:07

Marmight about 25 years ago there was someone prescribed zinc as treatment for something. One day she had a cold and her zinc tablet was not swallowed but stayed in her mouth. Her cold cleared up faster than usual.. That's the tale I heard anyway. I take zinc daily and when I have a cold suck zinc, it tastes horrid, more in hope than anything else.

Have those who have had the flu jab this year found to have more side effects. Both OH and myself been unwell with flu like symptoms shortly after the jab. The flu NHS web site also seems to have comments.