Gransnet forums

Webchats

Des O'Connor webchat 12 November

(76 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Nov-14 13:09:28

Yes, the man himself is dropping into GNHQ on 12 November to answer all your questions on showbiz life and his new book Laughter Lines: Comic Verse to Celebrate Life's Little Moments.

The entertainment legend has an illustrious career spanning over fifty years. London born, in 1932, Des started touring in variety shows in 1953 and, as you all know, went on to become a much-loved singer, chat show host and stage and screen star.

He has released thirty-six albums with record sales of over 16 million. Des landed his first television series in 1963 and went on to star in his own mainstream TV shows for over forty-five years - longer than anyone else in the world. His recent television work includes Today with Des and Mel, Countdown and The One and Only Des O'Connor.

Leave your questions for Des below, and join us from 12-1pm on 12 November to hear the answers!

lavendarlilac Mon 10-Nov-14 17:16:53

Hi Des - I'm a huge fan! I'm sure you've been to so many amazing places in your life, and I was wondering if you had any favourites? Was there one place that was especially wonderful for you?

granamia Mon 10-Nov-14 17:23:03

oh my goodness - Des O'Connor! you're very talented. do you prefer being a host or singing? many thanks for so many good memories.

-granamia

umbrella Wed 12-Nov-14 09:28:59

You have the reputation of being one of the nicest men in showbiz - is it true?! And if so (I hope it is!) why do some stars feel the need to throw their weight about and act all starry?

mell400 Wed 12-Nov-14 09:44:39

No question but I just want to thank you for many, many years of wonderful entertainment.

alice1951 Wed 12-Nov-14 10:00:36

Hi Des,

I would love to know what the highlight of your career has been? You have been on our screens for so long now and have had such a varied career, I am wondering if there is a particular show/ event that stands out for you?

Thanks smile

LilyP57 Wed 12-Nov-14 10:03:44

Hi Des,

I'm a huge fan! You must have met so many celebrities over the years. Who has stood out for and been the biggest pleasure to meet? Anyone who hasn't lived up to your expectations either?

LilyP57

Twainagain Wed 12-Nov-14 10:21:06

Hi Des. no question really - just wanted to say how much my partner and I have enjoyed watching you on tv over the years. We hope you'll be there for yonks to come.

hatparade Wed 12-Nov-14 10:30:21

did you think that Stan Boardman's joke should have resulted in his ban from the ITV? Could you see disaster on the way as he was telling the joke - you looked like you could!

GranJoanne Wed 12-Nov-14 11:04:22

Hello Des I just wondered whether you have noticed a difference towards yourself as you have grown older working in what seems to be a very young industry? I think you're wonderful by the way!

MaceyR Wed 12-Nov-14 11:08:33

Dear Des,

I love your music! I was just wondering if you had a favourite song (out of all the great ones you've sung) - is there one song that you just love performing more than the others?

Thank you,
MacyR

merlotgran Wed 12-Nov-14 11:21:04

Hi Des,

Stand-up comedy seems to have been enjoying a revival in recent years and the acts are so much funnier than a decade or so ago. Who is your favourite present day comedian and were you ever a fan of alternative comedy?

May I also ask, is it true you toured with Buddy Holly in the fifties?

Thank you for joining us today.

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 11:55:38

henetha

Hi Des,
what an amazing career you have had. Do you have a favourite show,
or an outstanding moment?

Of all of the shows I have done, To Do an Audience With was a highlight. It was ninety minutes non-stop filming and the bar ran of out booze!

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 11:56:53

gillybob

Hi Des. Just wondering how you always manage to look so happy and cheerful? Is there anything that gets you down?

Also (am I allowed 2 questions???) Why did you allow Morcambe and Wise to make fun of your singing/records ? How did this come about? I actually think you have a really good voice. smile

Nothing really gets me down! Only people that are miserable and can't see the funny side of life. They should lighten up (or buy my book which would help!)

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:00:14

gillybob

Hi Des. Just wondering how you always manage to look so happy and cheerful? Is there anything that gets you down?

Also (am I allowed 2 questions???) Why did you allow Morcambe and Wise to make fun of your singing/records ? How did this come about? I actually think you have a really good voice. smile

I actually agree with you! I offered to do a duet with Pavorotti, he said he was worried about bad notes. I said I would cover for him!

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:02:46

Bralee

Have always been a fan of Des, both for his singing and chat shows. Have always wanted to ask him about one of my favourite 45's called "I'm always thinking of you"' I had this record once but left it at a party. Did Des enjoy recording that record as I don't think I can recall him singing this on any show? I loved it and still can sing all the words! Sue..

Funny you should say that, I once stole a record at a party called 'Thinking of you.' I wondered whose it was!

But to answer your question, I wrote that song and I have to say it is one of my favourites too.

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:03:46

diddle

Hello Des I am another great fan. You always look so tanned - I am very pale and would like some tips please!!

I'll send you some of my make-up! But try to get some sun if you can, which is what I do.

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:05:57

manorborn

I heard you are 82. How can this be? And what is your secret?

Of course it's a lie! I have actually just turned 45, I was 54 before I turned it!

On a serious note, it's best to just eat when you are hungry not because it happens to be lunchtime. I'm not drinking anymore... I'm not drinking any less!

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:07:53

tunamayo

You have worked with so many greats over the years - even off the top of my head I can think of Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand and The Beatles and loads more. Who's been your favourite (and actually your least favourite - do tell!)

Whoever is sitting with me on the couch at that moment in time is my favourite! It was great sitting with all those stars but I really enjoyed sitting having conversations with comedians, especially up and coming youngsters. Many of whom are now stars today!

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:09:48

sean411

Just read on Twitter that you are answerng questions. The one I would like to ask is how you feel about TV entertainment today - less variety, more reality. I don't think this is a good thing but would love to hear your opinion

May I answer with a poem from the book,

I wouldn't last a day in the jungle.
I don't fancy a Bushtucker Trial,
I couldn't eat a kangaroo's privates
And I won't go on Jeremy Kyle.

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:11:15

nannynoodle

Dear Des, I have been a great fan of yours for many years. I would like to know when you started writing poetry and why you enjoy it. Also where you find your inspiration. With thanks

Dear nannynoodle,

I remember changing my son's nappy,
I couldn't believe my luck.
Little boys can do projectile piddling,
That's when I learnt how to duck!

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:12:59

nannynoodle

Dear Des, I have been a great fan of yours for many years. I would like to know when you started writing poetry and why you enjoy it. Also where you find your inspiration. With thanks

Dear nannynoodle,

I remember changing my son's nappy,
I couldn't believe my luck.
Little boys can do projectile piddling,
That's when I learnt how to duck![/quote]

I write about anything that might niggle or annoy us and try to see the funny side of it. If you can see the funny side of it, it becomes less of an annoyance!

gillybob Wed 12-Nov-14 12:15:19

Hello Des (its me again)

Are you ever serious or do you try to make every situation funny?

Is it true that your chat show was the longest running ever? shock

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:16:15

billiebooks

Did you enjoy presenting Countdown? I thought you were great but didn't stay around long enough. Are you good with anagrams and number puzzles yourself?

It's the only TV show I have done where you don't have to put your trousers on. When the camera is on, you are always sitting down!

I loved doing it but I wanted to get back to live entertainment.

I love words and I have written lots of poems about words- there's a few sections dedicated to words in my new book! I'm especially good at remembering telephone numbers too...

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:17:57

peterb

Like many of the people who have posted on here already I am a big fan and an admirer of the variety of your talents. I would love to know whether you prefer being a singer or a presenter? Or (I should probably ask in view of why you are here) a writer?

In showbiz I love what I am doing but there is always something new to try. I have done everything but a film.

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:20:00

nananew

Hi Des!

You got some criticism for having your son later in life. My daughter has recently had a baby and felt criticised for being too young. You cant win!

I am sure he has brought you nothing but joy but what would you/did you say to the critics?

Any grandchildren on the cards too?!

I was accused me of being selfish for having a child in later life, but I had been with Jodie for 15 years for that time and she wanted a child. If I had said No to her, then that would be selfish.

You better ask my daughters about the grandchildren!