Gransnet forums

Webchats

Des O'Connor webchat 12 November

(76 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 03-Nov-14 13:09:28

Yes, the man himself is dropping into GNHQ on 12 November to answer all your questions on showbiz life and his new book Laughter Lines: Comic Verse to Celebrate Life's Little Moments.

The entertainment legend has an illustrious career spanning over fifty years. London born, in 1932, Des started touring in variety shows in 1953 and, as you all know, went on to become a much-loved singer, chat show host and stage and screen star.

He has released thirty-six albums with record sales of over 16 million. Des landed his first television series in 1963 and went on to star in his own mainstream TV shows for over forty-five years - longer than anyone else in the world. His recent television work includes Today with Des and Mel, Countdown and The One and Only Des O'Connor.

Leave your questions for Des below, and join us from 12-1pm on 12 November to hear the answers!

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:21:34

ollieamber54

.one of my favourite things from your career is when you appeared with morecambe and wise & they used to call you death o connor. Love morecambe and wise - was appearing with them as much fun as it looked? what were they like to work with??

They were fantastic! Ernie was very generous, it is not true he only breathes in. Eric was very funny, on and off screen. I remember telling him once that I had done a one-man show, he said let's hope two turn up next time.

nellsbells Wed 12-Nov-14 12:23:26

Hello Des, I'd love to know your favourite comedians - both from days gone by and your current favourite.

Thanks for your cheery attitude through the years - I've got your book on order and am hoping it will make me see things in a different way when I start to get annoyed at the little things!

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:23:46

Waterdown

Hello Des, Thanks for coming onto grans net. You've met so many (very!) famous faces from the television world over the years, I was wondering if you had a funny story about anyone that we might not expect? Thanks for years of entertainment, my DH and I love you.

I was surprised at at eager Anthony Hopkins was to tell jokes when I interviewed, especially impressions of Tommy Cooper during the ad-breaks!

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:27:26

lavendarlilac

Hi Des - I'm a huge fan! I'm sure you've been to so many amazing places in your life, and I was wondering if you had any favourites? Was there one place that was especially wonderful for you?

I love Australia, especially Sydney. My wife Jodie Brooke Wilson is Australian. It's like Britain but with good weather!

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:28:00

granamia

oh my goodness - Des O'Connor! you're very talented. do you prefer being a host or singing? many thanks for so many good memories.

-granamia

It's all entertainment and that's wonderful by me! But thank you for the kind words.

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:29:57

umbrella

You have the reputation of being one of the nicest men in showbiz - is it true?! And if so (I hope it is!) why do some stars feel the need to throw their weight about and act all starry?

Thank you (don't believe everything you read!) smile

Izzybee Wed 12-Nov-14 12:31:15

You're undeniably funny, but I was wondering whether comedians also like to pull pranks on each other once in a while... What's the most rotten prank you've pulled - or been the butt of!

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:32:29

alice1951

Hi Des,

I would love to know what the highlight of your career has been? You have been on our screens for so long now and have had such a varied career, I am wondering if there is a particular show/ event that stands out for you?

Thanks smile

They all do, and I hope there is more to come. Writing Laughter Lines has given me a lot of satisfaction to see people laughing out loud while reading it!

maljjj Wed 12-Nov-14 12:33:07

I know you have four daughters. How have you found having a son after being surrounded only by women at home?

bowsandbows Wed 12-Nov-14 12:34:07

I am a huge fan

I would love to know what you enjoy watching on television

Thank you

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:40:24

GranJoanne

Hello Des I just wondered whether you have noticed a difference towards yourself as you have grown older working in what seems to be a very young industry? I think you're wonderful by the way!

I used to look in the mirror each morning,
I was happy with what I saw.
Then I started wearing contact lenses,
Now I don't look so good anymore.

granin Wed 12-Nov-14 12:41:19

No plans to ever be in a film then...? Have you avoided it, or did it just never come up?

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:42:31

MaceyR

Dear Des,

I love your music! I was just wondering if you had a favourite song (out of all the great ones you've sung) - is there one song that you just love performing more than the others?

Thank you,
MacyR

In the live concerts I change the songs all of the time, but there is one song we always finish on- One for my Baby (the Frank Sinatra classic). That always gets a standing a ovation...but it might be the cramp!

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:43:26

DesOConnor

henetha

Hi Des,
what an amazing career you have had. Do you have a favourite show,
or an outstanding moment?

Hi everyone it is great to be here. Looking forward to anwering all of your questions!

Hi Henetha,
Of all of the shows I have done, To Do an Audience With was a highlight. It was ninety minutes non-stop filming and the bar ran of out booze!

granin Wed 12-Nov-14 12:44:32

By the way, very much enjoying these poems...

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:48:28

merlotgran

Hi Des,

Stand-up comedy seems to have been enjoying a revival in recent years and the acts are so much funnier than a decade or so ago. Who is your favourite present day comedian and were you ever a fan of alternative comedy?

May I also ask, is it true you toured with Buddy Holly in the fifties?

Thank you for joining us today.

I really enjoy watching Michael Mcintryre, he always makes me laugh...and he rarely swears!

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:50:07

merlotgran

Hi Des,

Stand-up comedy seems to have been enjoying a revival in recent years and the acts are so much funnier than a decade or so ago. Who is your favourite present day comedian and were you ever a fan of alternative comedy?

May I also ask, is it true you toured with Buddy Holly in the fifties?

Thank you for joining us today.

Yes it is, in 1958. It must have been my dad, it couldn't have been me! We did 31 shows in 33 days!

merlotgran Wed 12-Nov-14 12:51:56

Thanks for answering the Buddy Holly question, Des. My husband now owes me a fiver!!

overthe Wed 12-Nov-14 12:52:44

how long does it take you to write each poem?

overthe Wed 12-Nov-14 12:53:14

ooh and another one if i may - who is your favourite poet apart from yourself

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:55:35

maljjj

I know you have four daughters. How have you found having a son after being surrounded only by women at home?

I love being a dad to a boy. He is already making me laugh, he came home last year from school with this poetic offering:

I wish I were a glowworm,
I never could be glum.
'Cause how could I be miserable,
When the sun shines out my bum!

I have to give him some responsibility for writing Laughter Lines!

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 12:58:50

bowsandbows

I am a huge fan

I would love to know what you enjoy watching on television

Thank you

I love watching sport, football and cricket. My views on Formula One are in the book on pg. 22, here's a few lines...

As a sport on TV, it's just boring,
So if they want to get more viewers back.
Make it much more of a challenge,
Put some cyclists on the track.

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 13:03:11

Izzybee

You're undeniably funny, but I was wondering whether comedians also like to pull pranks on each other once in a while... What's the most rotten prank you've pulled - or been the butt of!

I don't really like practical jokes, I prefer spontaneous humour.

This did make me laugh though...

Years ago a pop-star was on the bill in Liverpool (mentioning no names!), when he the pop-star's manager went to sleep in a hotel room, he took his bed and put it in the lift as well as everything else in the room. They locked off the lift, and went off to bed themselves.

At 6am some businessmen entered the lift, and startled, the manager shouted, "Get out of my room!"

DesOConnor Wed 12-Nov-14 13:05:27

...the popstar's manager shouted "Get out of my room!"

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 12-Nov-14 13:07:52

Thanks so much Des - it's been a delight to have you here and we hope you will come back and visit again grin